Smith and Wesson serial number search

Thanks for the kind words, Badco6354. I'm just a guy who likes S&W revolvers, has "the book," and sits in front of a computer most of the day. I may know a bit - only a bit - more about this stuff than the average bear, but Jim (laytonj1) and carguychris are the real experts.

Happy New Year to you, and to all of our brothers and sisters here, regulars and newbies alike, who enjoy the shooting sports!

Dick (FlyFish)

The S is way over to the front of the butt and seperate from the serial number.
The 0 is there. Its a nickel finish.

thanks,
Tyson

Dick or Jim,

Can you give a 2nd opinion on this lookup? I gave it a stab, but am new with the book and might be missing something. The fact that he has 1 extra numerical digit than the book has for S prefixes is making me second guess myself.

Thanks

The S is way over to the front of the butt and seperate from the serial number.
The 0 is there. Its a nickel finish.

thanks,
Tyson

Sorry folks. I think I got it. Was looking in the "S Serial Prefix: N Frames Postwar" section but it can be found in the "Postwar S Serial Range (fixed sight K frame)" section.

Yours must be a model 10, 11, or 45. Correct? If so then I am now pretty certain your date range is 1945-1948, and would be toward the 1947 or 1948 end of the spectrum.

Sorry for all the confusion. I'll get better at this I promise!
Happy New Year to you all.

Tall

Serial Number of a S&W Model 10

I have a Smith & Wesson model 10 that I purchased used back in the 70's and was wondering exactly when it was made. The serial number from the bottom of the butt is D500XXX (XXX being the last 3 digits of the number).

If anyone could look this up and let me know , it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry folks. I think I got it. Was looking in the "S Serial Prefix: N Frames Postwar" section but it can be found in the "Postwar S Serial Range (fixed sight K frame)" section.

Yours must be a model 10, 11, or 45. Correct? If so then I am now pretty certain your date range is 1945-1948, and would be toward the 1947 or 1948 end of the spectrum.

Yes, I think that's correct. I would just add it would have to be a Model 10, because he said the caliber is .38 Special. The 11 was .38/200 (aka .38 S&W) and the 45 was .22. And, technically, the gun would be a .38 Military & Police (pre Model 10) because the system of designating models by number didn't start until 1957.

ETA: It could also be a pre Model 12, though the pre 10 would be much more likely. Test the frame with a magnet - the 12 is alloy.

I posted up this number...28-2 N2938xx
Laytonj1 (jim) came back quickly and said 1977...the same time I posted here I also emailed S&W directly. Today they got back with me and the rep there said my gun with that number was manufactured 1967

Laytonj1 (jim) came back quickly and said 1977...the same time I posted here I also emailed S&W directly. Today they got back with me and the rep there said my gun with that number was manufactured 1967.

Ordinarily I would say that S&W should know better than anyone, but I think not in this case. The "N" prefix wasn't initiated until 1969, and Jim's response appears correct, at least based on SCSW, which is a pretty authoritative source. If the SN started with an "S" followed by those digits then 1967 would be correct - I wonder if someone at S&W was confused by that.

Quote:
Laytonj1 (jim) came back quickly and said 1977...the same time I posted here I also emailed S&W directly. Today they got back with me and the rep there said my gun with that number was manufactured 1967.

Ordinarily I would say that S&W should know better than anyone, but I think not in this case. The "N" prefix wasn't initiated until 1969, and Jim's response appears correct, at least based on SCSW, which is a pretty authoritative source. If the SN started with an "S" followed by those digits then 1967 would be correct - I wonder if someone at S&W was confused by that.
While there is overlap on some of the serial numbers, as Flyfish stated, they confused the "N" prefix with a "S".
Per the SCSW:
S290000 - S304999 = 1967 - 1968
S305000 - S329999 = 1968 - 1969
S330000 - S333454 = 1969 - 1970
N1 - N99999 = 1969 - 1972
N100000 - N199999 = 1973
N200000 - N299999 = 1974 - 1977
To add some more confusion:
N300000 - N399999 = 1975 - 1976
N400000 - N499999 = 1977 - 1978
Depending on the specific model number of the gun an earlier serial number can be from a later manufactured gun. Example, most of the last half of the N200000 serial range was model 28's and 58's in 1976/77. Where as, a model 27 with a later N300000 serial number could be made in 1975.

Jim

Last edited:
S&W Mod 37 Info Please

Appreciate a little help - Family member passed on a S&W MOD. 37 to me, serial # 473XXX, also says AIRWEIGHT 38 SPL.CTG. on snub barrel. Looks near new, i'm told 1 box of shells fired through it when purchased, after that never fired. Can anyone tell me when it was made? Also, aside from 38 cal, what kind of shell is safe for use? Lastly, i'd like to get rubber grips, seems to be square butt, plan to fire at range to get comfortable w/ it and keep it, or should this not be fired, any recommendations? thanks much.

Thanks guys...here is the email address of the contact at S&W directly.

Valenze, David [dvalenze@smith-wesson.com]

I emailed him back requesting him to double check his info please.

Tgun1,

Your m37 was made ~1964/65. It is rated for 38 Special only. Because of the aluminum frame I would not use +P ammo in it. Now, get some ammo and start shooting...

Jim

Jim,
thanks very much for the info, really appreciate it.

read somewhere that the wood grips with diamond around the screwhole are valuable, any input on this? thought i would replace them to save wear.

another serial number...

i havent been able to find any info or pics of this one so i'm gonna post some pics with this request. the sn is as the guy above posted s at the front of the butt followed by a six digit number. it is blued steel on the side of the 6 inch barrel says .38 s.&w. special ctg serial num is (S 990xx0)
IM000225.jpg

IM000224.jpg

i know +p wont blow it up but i wanna make sure exactly what i have. its a great shooter. very accurate. i am a handloader so i kinda wanna know what pressures this thing will handle reliably. thank you.

Budget_patriot,

S811120 - S999999 = 1945 - 1948, so likely 1948 for your sn of S990XXX.

All I"ll say is it's not rated for +P and because of it's age why push it.

read somewhere that the wood grips with diamond around the screwhole are valuable, any input on this? thought i would replace them to save wear.
Well, not as valuable as the larger "K" or "N" frame diamond grips but still worth at least $40 in minty condition. If your going to shoot it much I would look at getting grips a little larger (more hand filling) to get a better hold of it.

Jim

Can anyone tell me what this is? I inherited it from my grandpa, it's a .22. It is in just about perfect condition.

It has matching serial numbers of 531-xxx. Also, what might the value be, I have no intentions of selling it, just wondering.
SmithandWesson001.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this is? I inherited it from my grandpa, it's a .22. It is in just about perfect condition.

It has matching serial numbers of 531-xxx. Also, what might the value be, I have no intentions of selling it, just wondering.

Its a pre-war .22 hand ejector series pistol. Date range is 1911-1941 with a serial # range of 160000 to 536684. So your is closer to '41.

On pg 118 of the catalog, I see a pic that looks exactly like yours. They are calling this gun a .22 Kit Gun (prewar). Kit Gun meaning a small gun marketed to easily take with you on fishing or camping trips. They have an insert pic of your front sight andf they call it a U.S.R.A. pocket revolver front sight (whatever that means).

Value ranges from $200, $400, $900, $1500, $2650, $3500 (poor, fair, good, very good, exec, as new in box).

I would definately contact S&W for a factory letter. Perhaps send them good sized photos including where the serial# in on the gun.

good for +p ammo

Hey guys I just got my first S&W and was wondering if it was ok to shoot +p ammo through it. It is a 64-5 with a serial number of cbp91XX. Also don't know what year it was made.

Thanks,
Brent

Back