Smith and Wesson serial number search

Target model has adjustable rear sights and square butt frame which is what yours appears to have. Use is up to the owner.
The Coast Guard purchased 25 revolvers in 1934 and their s/n's fell into that range of numbers. The CG models were 4" barrels, blued finish, and square butt. I only mentioned them as I used them to narrow down that yours was likely produced mid to late 20's.
FlyFish and Laytonj1 are far more knowledgable than I. If they have any more info, I am sure they will share it.

I was wondering if someone could reference a serial number for me; my good friends grandfather passed away a couple weeks ago leaving him 3 massive gun safes filled with rifles, handguns, and shotguns. There is one in particular his grandfather used to let me shoot that I'd like to know the date on. It is a near mint 19-3 4inch; serial number 7k33xxx. Just wondering the date on it.

Model 66

I have recently aquired a model 66 serial number 9K40XXX. I was wondering what age it was, and if anybody had any advice on ammunition for this gun. I have read a lot about the avoidance of 125gr. ammunition.

Please help with a date of manufacture for a S&W Model 25-5 ser.# N9396xx.

Thank you!

Can you also tell me what dimensions S&W used for chamber throat dimensions then? Thanks!

rtw
somewhere between 1982-1986. Highest known N prefix range was N97xxxx. Puts yours somewhere close to the middle.

I can not answer your second question because I have no idea.

I have read a lot about the avoidance of 125gr. ammunition.
Shooting full power "light for the caliber" bullets can result in accelerated erosion to the forcing cone and possible accelerated flame cutting to the frames top strap due to the greater powder charges and higher velocities involved.
However, you'll have to shoot an awful lot of them for it to be an issue.
Can you also tell me what dimensions S&W used for chamber throat dimensions then?
Like Ruger and Colt, it's a crap shoot. The only way to know for sure is to measure them.
I am still amazed that there is/was such a problem standardizing the throats for .452. While the standard prior to WWII was .454 the current .452 standard has been around long enough that it should be a non issue. Some make then loose, others too tight.

Jim

Can you guys help me date and get a model number off this S&W my grandfather left me? Serial number BBH4XXX. It's a 4" tapered barrel, 6 shot, 38S&W Special. It also has stamping on the back strap. RHKP 101XX. I have no clue as to what those are. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I got the model. 10-9

Last edited:
Can you guys help me date and get a model number off this S&W my grandfather left me? Serial number BBH4XXX. It's a 4" tapered barrel, 6 shot, 38S&W Special. It also has stamping on the back strap. RHKP 101XX. I have no clue as to what those are. Thanks guys.
RHKP = Royal Hong Kong Police. Your gun was part of a sale to Hong Kong that was later traded in towards the purchase of new guns. Those used guns were then resold thru distributors here.

Could someone tell me the year my little Smith 22 was made? It's a model 43. serial # 49xxx.
The book shows serial numbers starting at 11000 in 1955 and 52673 in 1959. So, in between there.

Jim

DOB M&P 6"

I found (in my safe) a very nice 6" M&P 5 screw, Serial number C103595

Can anyne tell me when the C series began and ended and the approximate DOB?

Back