Smith and Wesson serial number search

I just purchased my first s and w from and old friend and retired police officer. Im wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what year it was produced?

jabco,
Are there a couple of more digits in the serial number? Maybe S32xxxx? I can only tell you that the 28-2 was introduced in 1961. In 1968, the diamond grips were deleted. In 1969, Serial numbers were changed to the N prefix. So somewhere between 1961 and 1969. If it is S32xxxx, then 1968-1969.

thanks

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help i had been trying to find out the info on my 38 i tried a few diffrent gun sites and got no help sure glad i ran across the firing line again thanks for the help and have a blessed day

My turn please. Birth and guess at $. I have the box, gun has some signs of pitting.
.38 Chief's Special Airweight
Model 37
2" Barrel
Round Butt
Serial #3J1XXX

.38 Chief's Special Airweight
Model 37
2" Barrel
Round Butt
Serial #3J1XXX
1971/72.
In excellent condition with box, ~$400. With pitting, depending on where and how detracting, ???

Jim

Last edited:
S&W .32

Could I please get the age, and approximate value of a S&W 30-1 .32. Its in avg to very good cond. with some bluing wear. Serial # 7799XX.
Thanks,
Josh P

Could I please get the age, and approximate value of a S&W 30-1 .32. Its in avg to very good cond. with some bluing wear. Serial # 7799XX.
Serial numbers ran from 712954 in 1961 to 826977 in 1970.
Looking at completed auctions, somewhere in the $300 - $375 range.

Jim

Old .38

Hey, i figured this is as good a place as any to start the research, my father just gave me after years of waiting the .38 that was given to my great-grandfather by Boston PD as a marksmanship instructor...I believe it was right after WWI, might be as late as the early 20's...
serial # is - 253XXX
square butt
6" bbl
original wood grips, very light pitting, in some very small areas, probably 90% original bluing.

I am mostly interested in the date of production...
thanks-

my father just gave me after years of waiting the .38 that was given to my great-grandfather by Boston PD as a marksmanship instructor...I believe it was right after WWI, might be as late as the early 20's...
serial # is - 253XXX
square butt
6" bbl
Assuming we're talking a 6 shot... .38 Military & Police Model of 1905 4th Change. Serial numbers ran from 241704 in 1915 to 1000000 in 1942. Your SN of 253XXX is near the beginning of that run.

Jim

my dad's SW - year of make

Hi I am wondering if I could get some information on a SW my Dad gave me. He believes it was a Cavalry Officer's issue side arm. The serial number is: 556xxx.

Thanks for any help!

I'm thinking about picking a 32 s&w. Sn 262484. it has 5039 on the in side of the crane. any one know the date? many thanks.

model 36

I just aquired a model 36. This is my first S&W. Can someone date this for me? sn# 624JXX. It also has an "N" stamped on frame which I assume is nickel plated? And also "G7", what does that marking mean?

Much appreciated!

Hi I am wondering if I could get some information on a SW my Dad gave me. He believes it was a Cavalry Officer's issue side arm. The serial number is: 556xxx.
S&W reused the same serial numbers on different models of guns. I need a lot more info to figure out what model it is... Exact caliber markings on the barrel, any other markings on the gun and barrel, 5 shot or 6, is it a swing out cylinder or a break top (barrel/cylinder hinge down)? If it's a break top then double or single action, hammer or hammerless, does it have a trigger guard... A picture would help allot too.

M65-2. Just picked up at the gun show. 47X1X is what Year?
Should have a "D" in the serial number. Take SN from here:
swstandard.jpg

I'm thinking about picking a 32 s&w. Sn 262484. it has 5039 on the in side of the crane. any one know the date?
Assuming there was no "K" prefix that serial number was used on two different models of 32. Square butt or round butt will narrow it down, see pic.
SWBUTTS.jpg

I just aquired a model 36. This is my first S&W. Can someone date this for me? sn# 624JXX. It also has an "N" stamped on frame which I assume is nickel plated? And also "G7", what does that marking mean?
1971/72. As for the lone "N", I believe so. Other markings are assembly stamps.

Jim

Last edited:

Quote:

S&W reused the same serial numbers on different models of guns. I need a lot more info to figure out what model it is... Exact caliber markings on the barrel, any other markings on the gun and barrel, 5 shot or 6, is it a swing out cylinder or a break top (barrel/cylinder hinge down)? If it's a break top then double or single action, hammer or hammerless, does it have a trigger guard... A picture would help allot too.

It is a 38 caliber. 6 shot. swing out cylinder. See the pictures attached.

On the right side of the barrel it says "38 s&w special ctg"
On the left side of the barrel it says "smith and wesson"
On the right side just below the cylinder it says "made in the usa"
On the left side just below the cylinder release it has the smith and wesson trade mark engraving.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

i also just noticed this morning the stamp on the top of the barrel which reads:

"smith & wesson springfield mass. u.s.a
patented feb.8.06.sept.14.09.dec29.14"

thanks again

Oldsw
.38 Military and Police Model of 1905-4th change.
s/n range 241704-1000000 manufactured between 1915-1942
1934 s/n range was approx. 646994-648882 based on 25 revolvers for Coast Guard in that range.
Just guessing yours was mid to late 20's era.
Appears to be a target model with square butt.

Last edited:

onebadscrambler,

thanks for the info...what does it mean that it was a 'target model'? is that a type of usage, i.e. shooting at targets? also, what does 'based on 25 revolvers for Coast Guard in that range' mean? did the Coast Guard have a specific usage here and it may have been one of those?

i may send off to Mr. Jinks for more history. this is my first foray into this type of research and find the stories of the weapons incredibly interesting.

thanks again...

Back