"Primitive Weapon Rifle"

Shot the Handi 45-70 today, Federal Hydrashock 300 gr....box says velocity 1850 fps.

The recoil was mild in my opinion.... Not as bad as my .270 win if you ask me. Certainly less recoil than my 1903 Springfield .30-06. I guess the way people talked I thought it would be a lot worse. I can't imagine even with the more stout loads that it would be worse than my .375 HH pushing a 300 gr bullet 2600 fps.

Anyway, with Iron sights I was able to murder a stump at 100 yards outside my back door. Should work great on deer during primitive Weapon season this fall.

Good to hear.
I'm surprised that you find recoil so agreeable. ...But I probably shouldn't be, since my 444 Handi-Rifle is such a poosycat (even though people, outside of those that have shot mine, think they're 'brutal').

Murder some more stumps.
Killeth thou many deers.

For those of you who can't get enough of my thread here.

I am posting a photo. I did a camo paint job on the rifle with VX 2 2x7x33 scope and Warne rings.

IMG_20170803_200216960.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The rifle was black with polymer stock...so I figured what the heck, camo paint

I wouldn't have done it to something in otherwise good condition. But, hey, it's your rifle!

I've got one of them. ...Sort of.
A guy called the LGS and asked what they'd give him for a "Handi-Rifle oh-five-eight". After some discussion, they said, "Probably about $75. Bring it in so we can take a look at it."

He availed them with tales of its awesomeness and sniper prowess for hours, I hear. Didn't help.

He got $40 for it.

H&R Topper 058 .30-30, with his custom paint.
Crap bipod.
Crap bipod adapter.
Crap scope base (Bubba-smithed to make it 'better').
Crap rings (more Bubba-smithing).
And a garbage scope.

I traded a Cobra derringer for it ($65 agreed value); and then stripped the tactical Bubba accessories.

I wouldn't have painted it, but at least it looks half-decent. And for the price... :D

058_800.jpg

The gun had scratches, and some rust I busted with steel wool and solvent. The polymer stock was scuffed and scratched. But it did have the multi slot Weaver base, came with the Warne rings. And came with the Uncle Mike's hammer extension.

If the furniture was wood, as some are, I wouldn't have painted it. But black scuffed and scratched polymer? Call me Picasso

Besides, now I have a tacticool primitive Weapon lolol:D

Sorry, but to me primitive does not include modern optics, cartridges or smokeless powder. I've never seen any type of firearm competition where someone doesn't try to fudge somehow to get the edge and I think the same type of thinking applies to primitive hunting seasons. If a state wants an alternative season okay....but primitive is primitive and should stay that way. Our season here in Texas has been warped as well, calling it a muzzleloader season and not primitive.
I love the concept of the primitive season....but unfortunately someone will always try to push the envelope.

I don't have any affinities for black powder. I do understand those who do. Again, I got the rifle for the hunting season and nothing more.

I do bow hunt with a browning 60# recurve, primitive enough? (No sights, no aided release)

Update***

Was able to go out this morning and shoot the H&R 45-70 Handi. As I said I have a leupold vx 2 2x7x33 on it.

Using federal power shocks, which have a published velocity of 1850 fps using a 300 gr Speer hot cores bullet.
I shot 5 groups of 4 over the chroney to sight it in at 100 yards off sand bags.
Best group was 0.6", worst group was 1.2" center to center. Average velocity 1817 fps on an 86 degree morning.

I am pleased and sort of surprised with the accuracy and fit of such a cheap rifle. Even the trigger isn't bad...I have bought expensive rifles with far worse factory triggers.
I suppose once I shoot up this ammo, Speer hot core 300 gr bullets at around 1800 fps might be my load? Just need to figure out what powder federal used.

Thanks for all the feedback.

The gun had scratches, and some rust I busted with steel wool and solvent. The polymer stock was scuffed and scratched. But it did have the multi slot Weaver base, came with the Warne rings. And came with the Uncle Mike's hammer extension.

If the furniture was wood, as some are, I wouldn't have painted it. But black scuffed and scratched polymer? Call me Picasso
Understood.
I may have done the same.

Look HARD at 400 Whelen Basic!
Without modification, it's essentially a rimless .444 Marlin Magnum.
Lots of trouble for a simple desire (a "primitive" rifle for a special season). Dies, brass, and bullets are steep. Custom chamber reamers aren't cheap, either.

-

I tried to get JES to rifle a pair of 16 ga barrel blanks for me. He turned me down, claiming his tooling couldn't handle it. Shameful... ;)

One thing to think about with the hammer extension is that it slows down lock time. I've taken them off my H&R rifles for that reason alone...

Tony

One thing to think about with the hammer extension is that it slows down lock time. I've taken them off my H&R rifles for that reason alone...

I personally didn't notice any appreciable issue with the locking time while having the hammer extension attached. I was able to shoot MOA or better from 175 yards an in with the hammer extension attached. Im not saying that there isn't a measurable difference, but whatever the difference, I could not tell.

Also, if you have proper follow though, it won't matter in minute of deer anyway.

I did once get a batch of factory ammo where the powder had deteriorated to the point that I could hear the click of the firing pin hitting the primer before the gun went off. I pulled the bullets and the powder was clumped together with some kind of sludge in it. I sent it back to the manufacturer and they replaced it. But I suppose that is what it must be like to shoot a flint or matchlock rifle.

I doubt that the round hammer extension (steel) slows lock time by more than 2 milliseconds.

The flat extension (aluminum) would be better, but nothing that I have attempted to shoot with my Handi-Rifle has ever lived to complain about the lock time being slowed by the round extension.

It ain't "primitive" unless it takes a round, patched lead ball and loose black powder. I hunt exclusively with flintlocks; it doesn't get any better than that.

"Sorry, but to me primitive does not include modern optics, cartridges or smokeless powder. I've never seen any type of firearm competition where someone doesn't try to fudge somehow to get the edge and I think the same type of thinking applies to primitive hunting seasons. If a state wants an alternative season okay....but primitive is primitive and should stay that way. Our season here in Texas has been warped as well, calling it a muzzleloader season and not primitive.
I love the concept of the primitive season....but unfortunately someone will always try to push the envelope."

Sorry Stoney, but I have to disagree. Scopes were in use by the time of the Civil War and after that used by buffalo hunters. Can't say I agree that it's pushing the envelope at least in that aspect. I could be persuaded to agree that maybe scopes used in primitive hunts be no more powerful than maybe 2 to 3 power although I do believe some early scopes were as high as 16X.
Another thing, some of us older folks no longer have the vision to be able to use primitive iron sights. Guess they'll just have to stay home and dream.
Paul B.

One small issue I'm having with my Handi Rifle though. The pin that the trigger rotates around is walking a little. I can push it back in all the way with my finger, but after about 5 shots it has walked out 1/4-3/8". I thought about just putting a dab of JB weld over it...which I can easily remove should I need to disassemble the fire control group.

Back