"Primitive Weapon Rifle"

The CVAs get good reviews overall, with the typical bit of "it won't shoot worth a ____" mixed in.
I've heard of a few going back for repairs, but every company finds ways to screw up. I've even heard of Turnbull screwing the pooch (multiple times on the same rifle, even).

If I was in the market, I wouldn't be afraid of the CVAs, based on what I've read and seen.

I would get a Matin Henry .577/450. Should make an excellent huntsman's arm.
The Martini Henry came to mind for me, as well. ...But there's no exposed hammer.
Not legal. :(

"It seems to me like a Ruger No 1 in .375 Holland and Holland (which can be downloaded to somewhat reasonable levels) fits the technical definition. Am I missing something?

The recoil caveat not withstanding of course."

Well, as has already been mentioned, no outside hammer. :mad:

Wonder how they would handle a Sharps Borchardt. It's a period perfect rifle from the 1800's early 1900's but has no outside hammer. When one gets down to the nitty gritty of the fact, the Ruger #1 is just an almost clone of the Victorian Faquharson rifles so popular among the British in Africa. It's only sin in the eyes of those states is that it has no outside hammer. I have numerous Ruger #1 rifles and one 1878 Browning that has a hammer and the speed of reloading for another shot is about the same as on the Browning you don't have to cock the hammer. Kind of tough putting the hammer on the half cock safety if the rifle is scoped.
I've thought long and hard about having that Browning bored out to .35 Whelen but the fact it's so darn accurate as is that I hesitate to make the move.

On those H&Rs in .35 Whelen, I've not had the pleasure :confused::confused: of shooting one in that cartridge and do imagine it would be quite a thumper on bother ends. However, if one was a reloader, one could conjure up loads in the .35 Rem. and .358 Win. class without a lot of trouble.

I did dwell a bit on the .35 Whelen as it is one of my most favorite cartridges. it's also a natural for cast bullet use. A 200 gr. cast bullet in the 1500 to 2000 FPS range would certainly be one very good deer thumper. Just something to keep in mind.
Paul B.

Here are a whole page of single shot rifles with exposed hammers. All the excellent H&R Handi Rifles that are still somewhat affordable. There are 243s, 7-08s , one 45 colt, a few 35 Whelens and several 444 Marlins. A couple of 357s and a 500 S&W. At least it sounds like you are not limited to straight wall rounds like the guys in Ohio are.

I would think you could find something affordable and usable from that line up without the silliness of some of the suggestions like a Martini/Henry. Yep those are laying around everywhere and ammo is a dime a round and available at any local Walmart.:rolleyes:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Shot-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=H&R+Handi+Rifle&Sort=13

The 444 Marlins are the ones I liked best. But I have always wanted a 444 and Frankenmauser says the recoil isn't too bad either. With just one shot you need a reliable deer stopper.

WYO I've got to agree but the OP stated at the outset that he didn't want a BP rifle. I do like mine. I have killed one deer and killed my first Elk with a BP rifle. What a cool way to hunt.

I can't use a 7-08. Has to be .35 cal or bigger. So the .444 Marlin is an option, but nothing smaller than .35 cal.

Steve (wyosmith). I really appreciate the black powder shooters. But at the moment that isn't the route I want to go. My brother does the BP hunting, and it requires skill, but I already archery hunt and that's fairly up close and personal.

I don't have a straight walled case requirement, so
35 Remington is an option. But I do want at least a reasonable bullet selection.

Sorry. I forgot about the size restriction of .35 or larger. I wonder who came up with the rules?

I just bought a Marlin in 35 Remington and its a cool round. The standard 200gr bullet is all you really need to hunt deer or bear. But there are 180s and 220gr bullets in jacketed form and who knows how many lead bullet moulds can be found? Plus you have the option of all the .357 pistol bullets for target and plinking. And yo mentioned you already reload so the world is yours.

I don't remember H&R making a 35 rem but I believe they can be had in the CVA line.

To me to stay in the "spirit of the game" I'd want a Sharps, a trapdoor or a High Wall. Come to think I have 2 still need a trapdoor

All muzzle-loading primitive firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with percussion caps, #209 shotgun primers, or flintlock ignition.

What? No provision for matchlock ignition? How can they call it primitive when the predominate firing mechanism of the 16th Century is excluded?

Thanks for the heads up Doyle. I saw his gun via text. But he won't break it up and I don't need a .243 single shot and he wants some $ for the scope which I also don't need, because I would put a 1x4x30/32 on it .

Also, the .35 Whelen seems to be too much gun. I'm kinda thinking about one of these .35 Rem, .444 Marlin, .45-70 or .44 mag.

Whelen is definitely not too much gun. With a 180gr load, it can reach out a LONG way and not kick terribly. Even with my factory Encore recoil pad (I.E. pretty useless) and 200grn Hornady Superformance ammo, it isn't terrible. Granted, I wouldn't want to sit at the range and bang away all day with it but for half a dozen shots to get sighted in it wasn't bad. In the woods shooting at an animal, you don't notice the kick.

If you REALLY do want less kick and you handload, you can easily download the Whelen to be a very mild shooter. You just give up some range.

It isn't just that though. I don't want to insult the guy offering $300 because I don't need/want the .243 barrel or scope. ....but good looking out though!!! Keep it up.

Maybe I'll hit the hock shops this week

Back