"Primitive Weapon Rifle"

Hdwit all I can get on the link you provided are muzzle loaders and one center fire, a 44mag. All the links on google say page not found, 404 error.

Where in MS do you live? If you get to Starkville, I'd be willing to take to out to the gun club and let you shoot my Encore Whelen.

It evolved as a whizzing contest between MS and LA with each trying to outdo the other.

Does Louisiana have the same sort of restrictions? I haven't heard. Here in Tx you can use about anything you are man enough to drag in the woods and no magazine capacity restrictions either. We do have some areas that offer late season BP only hunts with a muzzleloader.

Ratshooter, here you go:

Legal Gear
Rifles or pistols, .44 caliber minimum, or shotguns 10 gauge or smaller, all of which must load exclusively from the muzzle, use black powder or approved substitute only, take ball, shot, or bullet projectile only, including saboted bullets. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
Single shot, breech loading rifles or pistols, .35 caliber or larger, having an exposed hammer that use metallic cartridges loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. All of the above may be fitted with magnified scopes.
Single shot, breech loading shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller, having an exposed hammer, loaded with buckshot or rifled slug.

Such seasons are abut hunting skills, not hardware.
Then they should limit them to that sort of firearm.
Exposed ignition, loose powder, pure lead projectile, and no optics.
But they won't because most people just see it as another opportunity to fill a tag. While the state Conservation Departments see it as a way to sell more tags. Especially if they allow more than the most basic of "primitive" methods.
My home state changed what had been called muzzleloader season to alternative methods season. Allowing handguns in addition to muzzleloaders.
If I have an unfilled firearms tag, and can get out, I use a T/C Contender handgun. Scope mounted 14" 7-30 Waters, or 35 Remington. With my Glock 20 10MM on my side for possible close up shots.
For the OP, the Handi Rifle if you can find one. I would have to say 444Marlin, or 45-70. My zon has the 444 Marlin, and it is quite accurate. I have one in 500 S&W, and while a real attention getter, I have not been able to reliably dial it in.

But they won't because most people just see it as another opportunity to fill a tag. While the state Conservation Departments see it as a way to sell more tags. Especially if they allow more than the most basic of "primitive" methods.
My home state changed what had been called muzzleloader season to alternative methods season. Allowing handguns in addition to muzzleloaders.
If I have an unfilled firearms tag, and can get out, I use a T/C Contender handgun. .

We do not have tags in Mississippi. We have just a license. I can shoot 3 bucks and 3 does total....no tags to fill. Just a bag limit like with small game.

And, to someone else post: We also have a general rifle season where you can use just about anything you want. But the primitive weapon season is its own 3 week period after archery season but before general rifle season w/dogs. (Yes we can hunt deer with dogs).

If that's what you want, then come to Iderhooo!

External ignition (no inlines). No 209 ignition. Lead projectiles. No sabots, non-lead tip or base inserts, or copper jackets. Open sights. No magnification. No light emitting devices or sights using any form of artificial illumination (fiber optic sights allowed). No pelletized or pre-formed powder charges. No pre-measured charges. No nitrocellulose-based powders. BP or BP substitutes, only in loose form. Min .45 Cal for smaller game. Min .50 for Elk, Moose, Bear, Mtn Goat, etc.
But you CAN use a double-barrel muzzleloader. ...But no more than two barrels.

Basically: The state wants people using a flintlock or percussion .50/.54 cal with black powder and a round ball.

Unless the deer in Mississippi are bulletproof, a .44 magnum should be plenty, especially for 125 yard and under shots.

Frankenmauser I like those rules I would have no trouble hunting like that. I am of the opinion that the inline BP rifles are what wrecked the tradional muzzleloader market. It made it too easy and took away the challenge and then any new BP shooters just lost interest in BP all the way around.

I made some calls, and in the next couple days I'll be driving down to Pearl MS to pick up my new H&R Handi Rifle in .45-70. Has a 22" barrel and the black poly stock.... which means I'll put a nice camo dura-coat on it.

I know I said I was gonna use open sights, but I also have an unused leupold 1x4x20mm that was on one of my AR's before I replaced it with an ACOG. Would be a perfect optic on this rifle I think.

I am of the opinion that the inline BP rifles are what wrecked the tradional muzzleloader market. It made it too easy and took away the challenge and then any new BP shooters just lost interest in BP all the way around.

I believe that it was special muzzle loading only hunting seasons that wrecked the traditional muzzleloader market. Back when muzzleloaders had to hunt in the regular season, only muzzleloading enthusiasts hunted with muzzleloaders. People who loved and appreciated traditional muzzleloaders.

I believe that it was special muzzle loading only hunting seasons that wrecked the traditional muzzleloader market.

I agree with this. I am not a muzzleloader enthusiast, but 20 years ago, neither was my brother, his friends, or several of the people I know who hunt muzzleloader for various game in various states.
Creating a muzzleloader season drew people into it who are either trying to fill the freezer, or trophy hunting, but otherwise would never choose to use a BP rifle. But creating a special season for it incentivized making the most centerfire-like muzzleloader with advanced optics pushing the boundaries of what is or isn't a BP rifle right to the edge.
Before that, only serious BP hunters did it because there was absolutely no advantage to using them.

I'm neither for/nor against it....and the only reason I am getting a single shot rifle in this caliber is it gives me 3 extra weeks to hunt. Otherwise I don't really need or want a modern single shot rifle. But sometimes with work I can't get out during parts of bow season or rifle season, s

I absolutely agree with that.

And I'm one of 'those' people. Had Utah not introduced Muzzleloader-Only early seasons, I may never have messed with black power. The early season was perfect T-shirt weather, and the muzzleloader requirement (and accompanying rules) kept a lot of people from trying their hand. It was a nice, uncrowded, laid-back season with pretty decent chances of filling a tag.

Had one of my brothers not talked me into buying a muzzleloader, and then showed me the ropes and drug me along for the muzzleloader-only season, I probably wouldn't have ever done it.

I speak of it in past-tense, because the season became far too popular, with modern in-lines making things far easier for those that didn't like the 'handicap' in the earlier years.
...And because I won't pay $600+ for a deer tag in Utah.

But, I've got an Idaho ML-only Antelope tag, with the season kicking off in less than three weeks. Once you mess with a smoke pole, it's hard to get away from them...

What I meant by saying the modern ML rifles helped wreck the traditional BP market was that those who wanted an extended hunt with a BP rifle bought an inline because all the challenge was removed by the maker of the rifle. You could buy a White or T/C inline and go directly to the range and shoot good groups. Big deal. Add a scope and a deer is in the bag. It was easy so new shooters who may have been new traditional rifle shooters lost interest. Take away their scopes and pelletized ammo and now its too hard.

I almost gave up on my first BP rifle because I couldn't hit anything with it. Then I found a BP book by Sam Fadala and learned what the problem was. My patches were too thin and were burning up. So I bought new patch material, learned how to read patches and found out how much fun a BP rifle was to shoot.

I scrounged lead, bought molds, more rifles, lots of powder and have had a whale of a time with a really cool class of rifle. If I had to I could do all my hunting from here on out with a BP rifle.

A side benefit was I became curious about the history of the guns and how they were used. So I researched. And the more I researched the more interested in history I became. So now I am a history buff. Too bad they didn't allow BP rifles in school. I may have made a few "A's" in history if it was presented in a better way.

Well, I got a good deal ($ 175) in a Leupold VX2 2x7x33 I'm going to try and use on the H&R Handi 45-70 I just bought. I will just use the 1x4x20 on something else.

Anyway thanks for all the input. These forums are great for bouncing ideas off folks .

If it turns out I like the .45-70 cartridge, I will probably get another one, a premium version for my collection. Either a lever action or a Ruger #1/#3 .
I typically get a couple rifles in a cartridge if I like it....I have at least two of everything just because the marginal upfront cost of reloading the 2nd rifle is zero.

I handled a Ruger #1 Today in 458 Bushmaster and it is one beautiful piece of equipment ..;)

You'll love that scope. I've got an older one on my Remington Model 7. It is the lightest scope in its class so it won't overbalance that light Handi.

CVA builds a light weight 44 MAG. Although I've never shot this particular rifle, I do have much experience with Marlin and Ruger carbines chambered for this powerhouse. 44 MAG is very versatile. Load 200 or 240 grain bullets for common deer and 270 or 300 grain bullets for larger game animals. 44 MAG does its best work at about 100 yards and less.

Jack

Back