Poll: If you could choose your combat sidearm.

I want a rifle.

Not that it matters, as an old fat man I'd be a rear echelon support person. That's only if the military was silly enough to take me.

So what model potato peeler is probably a better question.

surprised I think I'm the 1st to say... FN-5-Seven... 20 round mags baby...

of course this is just for back up to my main M-4ish thing a ma jig... but I'll take the capacity & light weight ammo for a back up gun

It seems to be neck and neck between the 1911 and the Glock. Pretty much reflects the two biggest groups of fans in the USA. I did not mention the poll in the 1911 or Glock forums and wonder how that would have affected the outcome.

Having served in the Army and knowing that you often will grab a gun in the most extreme circumstances, I cannot say that I would vote for any gun without a manual safety. We had way too many accidents in Nam with weapons with manuals safeties and I shudder to think how many more there would have been if there were no safeties at all.

Just my Preference

On the poll I picked the HK 45. But if I got to pick my own. I love revolvers, I have always been a revolver man. But in todays world, I would have to pick a automatic. I would pick either a M&P 45 or M&P 40. Those choices are strictly personal preference, I don't have any facts or data to back up the choices other than my own preference.

Any full-size Glock. Probably either a 17 or 22. Lightweight, durable, reliable, high round count. I am amazed that so many people just answered "1911" with no explanation (or maybe I shouldn't be ;)). 1911s are awesome weapons, but I think I'd have to lean towards a higher capacity firearm when if it was really time to fight.

Beretta m9. Not because its my favorite pistol. If that we're the case hkp7 with lots of mags and ammo.

I choose beretta because they are popular and the military uses it ie. lots of coo mom parts available.

Does an AK pistol count? :p It would take some kind of bootlegged, rigged up holster but everybody talks about how many rounds you can hold and you can't beat 30 rounds of 7.63x39.

In all seriousness, probably something like a USP tactical.

As of 4:56 MT, it is:

Colt 1911 (29%, 285 Votes)
Glock 17 (29%, 285 Votes)

I voted Glock 17. Light, durable, reliable, high-capacity.

I love the Sig's, but the Glock 17 would be my vote...just because they always work. I consider them the AK equivalent of the handgun world...you pull the trigger they do what they are supposed to do. The comment about the manual safety does hold merit though....

None of the above. Just my EDC. In the next war we'll all be sitting in an air conditioned room on the outskirts of Vegas firing missiles from drones thousands of miles away. :D

Oh ok, I'll play. I'd want my HK45 or a Sig 220 or both.

If the world ends I'm grabbing two Colt 1911's. They will still fire after the HK has melted or been ground into dust.

Back