Poll: If you could choose your combat sidearm.

Once you're in your first firefight you'll figure out real quick that you really want some kind of assault rifle or battle rifle with the extra weight in ammo rather than any handgun you can think of. If someone makes you take a handgun, take the lightest and smallest one they'll let you carry.

If you have to go to war a sidearm is totally irrelevant. Doesn't really matter what you carry, it's just a "feel-good" item and won't make any difference at all if you're reduced to that level.

Last edited:
Pretty much anything that's belt fed. You got no business going into battle with a handgun. Hand gun to a soldier is a backup.

Pretty much anything that's belt fed. You got no business going into battle with a handgun. Hand gun to a soldier is a backup. You get a bad feeling in your gut when you start taking fire and all you got is a 1911.

If I'm going into combat, I'm going to spend a whole lot more concern and worry on the primary longarm I'm taking than the sidearm.

Once you're in your first firefight you'll figure out real quick that you really want some kind of assault rifle or battle rifle with the extra weight in ammo rather than any handgun you can think of. If someone makes you take a handgun, take the lightest and smallest one they'll let you carry.

Agreed. I'd also rather have extra rifle ammo & mags, more batteries for the radio, etc.

For me, the handgun would have be something like an airweight enclosed hammer or hammerless S&W J Frame.

Well, the OP was about a handgun choice. So I wonder if the current service folk would rather carry a Glock 26 than a M-9?

You see pictures of plenty of service folks with a M-4 and the M-9.

Since I almost exclusively carry my M&P9C or 9 Shield, I'm going with a full size M&P. It's the platform I shoot most proficiently, so I think it would serve me best.

There's a lot of good choices but I'd go with my 92FS. Number of rounds you can carry and number of rounds per magazine are my most important concerns. Then reliability and accuracy. 17 rounds per magazine puts the 92 up near the top, the gun is insanely reliable and easy to shoot well in rapid fire. The longer barrel will help with accuracy and give the bullets a little more energy. If i can pick the round too, I'll take a NATO charge behind a 124gr FP. :)

I'm fine with either the M9 or the M9A1. There's not a high capacity 9mm pistol out there, (save for the SIG P226), that has been more sorted out in actual combat theaters rather than in a central European lab or in fanboy internet fantasies.

Back