Poll: If you could choose your combat sidearm.

For fantasy / fiction purposes, with the standing up of a militia where there was no expectation of weapons support and where each had to provide his own, I'd probably say a Glock 20; hard to argue with 15 rounds of 10mm, and the total weight would still be less than any of my 1911s.

Otherwise, I go back to my original point: whatever I like best out of what is supported.

If I had my druthers, it would be my Colt custom 1911A1 by the late F. Bob Chow of San Francisco. Tight enough to be accurate but loose enough that it would take a lot of gunk to tie it up. I have two of that olf gentleman's 1911's and they're not for sale nor will I ever "turn them in."
Paul B.

Glock 19. Small enough to carry and not get in the way but enough rounds to defend my fighting position should it come to that.

FNH FNX 45...15+1 of .45acp in a lightweight, reliable package. Ambi controls without switching anything, accurate and easy to shoot.

Second would be my Sar K2-45, one less round of .45, all metal gun that has proven very reliable, but heavy.

Let's take the Beretta 92 up a notch, I'd go with a Beretta 96 for the
added stopping power of a .40SW, but the same reliability and ease of takedown yet with a good round capacity. ;)

Following are my choices in order of preference...

.45 ACP 1911 GM or Colt Combat Commander
BHP or Colt Combat Commander in 9MM
S7W M39-2 ( a brace of two)
Any 4" revolver in .45ACP or .38SPL

choices...

From the poll choices, I'd pick a HK45 .45acp.
I'm left handed & would want a high cap type .45acp sidearm that could take a sound surpressor or a extended magazine.
I've read a few military reports that few spec ops guys use the bulky HK SOCOM Mark 23 weapon system.
The late Chris Kyle, the highly decorated SEAL who wrote about his combat tours in the non fiction book; American Sniper toted a SIG P220R .45acp "down range".
Kyle wrote the SIG was damaged in a mission in Iraq & he packed a 1911a1 or a smaller P228/M11.

Most units carry a 1911a1 .45acp or a SIG Sauer model like a P220, the P226R or a 2022.

The printed NRA magazine had a detailed item about the elite SAS & SBS using SIG Sauer models in real combat. Andy McNab was the source of the NRA article.

I would find it hard to argue with an HK45. Either a USP or a MK23. I am trying to remember but I think the seals fired like 30,000 rounds through a MK23 over two days when they torture tested it. It's just a rock solid reliable gun, and easy to operate to boot. The controls are similar to a 1911 too.

Hard to argue with a ick too though.

While I never hope to go to war, the selection of sidearm depends on a lot of circumstances. For instance, on what sort of terrain and in what sort of weather will this war be fought? What sort of enemy combatants will you be facing and what gear might they have?

For very general purposes, I think the loose consensus on .45acp is wise. I prefer the FNX to a 1911, though I haven't seen it tested in all sorts of weather conditions.

SEALS-P226 and P239 in 9mm
US military as a whole-beretta 92 9mm
Marine expeditionary force-1911 .45
Air Marshal P229 and P239 357 SIG
Coast Guard P229 .40
British military-Glock 17 9mm
And on .....

You could pretty much pick any gun, in any decent caliber by any of the big boys and trust that its been tested and proven. I would take any of the above and be happy.

IMHO...Sig Sauer SAS Gen 2 chambered in .45ACP....using 185gr +p JHP......That will stop them "DEAD" in their tracks......! Today there is TOO much emphasis on Picatinny/Weaver rail systems...Anyone can put a laser on a target. Not everyone has a clear grasp of basic firearm control. Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, Trigger Control, Breathing, Stance, AND MOST IMPORTANT...GREY MATTER WHEN IT COUNTS! GET BACK TO BASICS!!!!!!REMEMBER GUN CONTROL MEANS......HITTING YOUR TARGET EVERY TIME......!

Id like some thing in 357 magnum. It is the round I have grown up using and have confidence in.

For a military use revolver, my money is on the Model 327 TRR8 (it has a cousin in the M&P line too.)

170269_01_md.jpg

Back