oh the myths that surround hunting.

I had always heard that deer and cows don't mix but this past new years I got a large doe and saw about 10 other deer raiding the pasture while cows were still grazing. Never seen them with a bull around but I'm not saying it's a correlation.

The deer I killed a couple weeks ago ran directly away from the water, up a hill to the plateau, then keeled over. Didn't find it until 8:00 the next morning, cuz I had been looking mostly around the water until all my flashlights went dead.

Cows don't bother deer at all - they are quite used to them (unless they're brand new on the property). That is, IF the deer can see them. But if they're making a lot of noise in thick woods, the deer will steer clear of the noise, of course - unless they can scent and thus ID the cows as cows.

U.D. Start feeding you yard mutt deer meat and let it lap up the blood when you are dressing them and you will not have to look for your deer anymore.;)
The yard dog will do it for you.

The myth that bugs me most is that you have to have a 300 mag to shoot deer and at least a 338 for elk.

I guess thats easier than learning how to shoot.

Its dangerous to use a 30-30 to hunt deer. The bullet will richocet off the deer and injury an innocent bystander.

The myth that bugs me most is that you have to have a 300 mag to shoot deer and at least a 338 for elk.

I guess thats easier than learning how to shoot.

Dunno 'bout it being easier .... but it'd sure be more painfull that way ......

I had always heard that deer and cows don't mix but this past new years I got a large doe and saw about 10 other deer raiding the pasture while cows were still grazing.

Years ago I spotted a group of deer at the opposite end of a cow pasture on a farm I was hunting. I got in behind a cow, and walked next to it, using it for cover all the way across the pasture. By the time I got across, they had wandered into the thick stuff and I couldn't get a shot, but they were still there and did not get spooked. It got dark as I was waiting for them to wander back into view.

I've heard stories about guys hunting on horseback in the west without spooking them. They don't connect the sound of a big 4 legged critter with humans.

I had also learned that hogs and deer do not mix, but twice now I have shot hogs that were hanging out with deer.

With that said, I have seen hogs chase of deer on multiple occasions, once where a hog went after individual deer, but usually the mere presence does the job. The hog(s) come in and the deer move out. This seems to be the norm where I am.

Lesson? Hogs and deer may not usually socialize, they certainly do sometimes.

That's interesting. I have certainly seen them doing it. Here is a thread on Texas Hunting Forum discussing this particular issue and people report them together...
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1306796/Horses_and_deer

The folks on Archery Talk notice horses and deer happily together...
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1892001

Over on Michigan Sportsman report both co-existing and avoiding...
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-109601.html

At GA Outdoor News, again mostly all positive...
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=637302

In reading through the forums, the problems seem to stem from individual horse personalities and not from the species in particular.

I had an appaloosa mare that was an excellent horse. She was fine with goats and other horses that shared the pasture. But, she would kill or try to kill anything she thought was trespassing. She killed one of my hogs that got in there, probably weighed 200 pounds. Tried to kill my neighbors dog and would have eventually if we hadn't saved him.

I suspect she would chase a deer out pronto.

yes that's right, I'm resurrecting my own thread.

just read another one the other day.
if you don't wear hunter's orange you are unethical and it's your own fault if you get shot because you weren't wearing orange.

You are in Idaho. What is it, like over half the state is open to public hunting? How many big game season do you have, and spread over what period of time? What is your hunter density at a given time?

If you ever hunted thick eastern woodlands with only a deer season that lasted one week, with only pockets of 200-2000 acres open to public hunting, and hunting densities sometimes of 1 hunter per 10 acres, you might rethink your views on hunter orange. Yes, I've hunted in the rockies, sometimes covering miles without seeing any sign of humans, and orange might not be a major concern, but if you go out an hunt Ohio's deer season without orange, you would be illegal, unethical, inconsiderate, and lose you right to complain of slugs wizzing by from hunters who cannot see you.

yes, large amounts of land is open to hunting, however the vast majority of it is inaccessible to anyone that doesn't have pack horses. much of what was once public land is now being bought up by the tribe, leaving less and less available to whites. I saw over 3 dozen hunters occupying the same 4 square mile hunting ground I was hunting on opening weekend. we have two separate any weapons seasons in my hunting area, regular(whitetail or mule deer) which lasts about a month and whitetail only which lasts closer to two, however our muzzle loader season is restricted to very isolated areas and lasts a single weekend. elk seasons are about 2 weeks each for any given hunt and yes, people are packed very tightly in their attempts to get one before the other yahoos scare them off. our terrain is extremely varied, from open bluffs like the ones pictured in the OP, to thick pine forests, to brushy draws, to open farm fields in rolling hills. oh and we have deserts in the lower portion of the state too, but not where I hunt.

I do not see how shorter seasons and more hunters per capita makes it my fault if someone else shoots me and why I'm unethical for not wearing orange while hunting. it's your responsibility to check your target, not to blast at any movement you see that isn't wearing orange.

Even though I am from and hunt in NH I have to agree with tahunua001 It is the responsibility of each and every hunter to make sure of his target and whats behind it before he squeezes off a shot. Here in NH, the "LIVE FREE OR DIE" state, we are not required to wear hunter orange, it is just suggested.

Positively identify your target is a given. Knowing what is beyond that is fixed is also a given. When people are moving around all day its another matter. The orange is so other hunters can see that you have moved into that area known as "beyond their target". If I am in my hunting spot, and my orange is easily visible, and I'm watching a trail, and you decide to sneak in behind the trail I've been watching for a couple hours in your camo, who is more at fault that I don't know that you are now "beyond my target"? When you hunt public, do you go out and check that nobody else has moved in behind your target before you take your shot? Anybody who has hunted public has had hunters walk through the area we are hunting at one time or another, and probably often. It is common (or not so common) courtesy, and ought to be common sense to be as visible as possible when moving through an area others are hunting.

Back