oh the myths that surround hunting.

I won't claim 600 yards, but a Q-Beam will pick up eyes at way-out-yonder distances. I picked up eyes one night when the critter was too far away to tell what it was, even through my scope.

stagpanther
If ya wanna start an on-line firefight--few ways better than strike up the old 223 deer-slayer argument. LOL
I think that the only topic that will get MORE people riled more quickly would be to add the term "head shot" somewhere in that sentence...
:)

Anyone ever spotlight a spider and try to figure out where the eye-shine was coming from? Silly me has... Curiosity took me all the way to the spider, the closer I got the more I just had to know the source...

It was humorous to me when I figured it out. Glad I didn't try a headshot on it lol

Oh I figured I'd through my thoughts in the mix.

I have watched deer pass right over the spot I peed on when walking to my stand. They weren't alarmed. They did stop to sniff the puddle of wintergreen skoal at the base of my stand. They seemed curious but not put off.

I don't even count those anymore. Whenever I hear the "I shot it running at 400 yards", I always ask, how much did you lead it or how high did you aim, never have I gotten an answer that was even remotely right, usually its "right on him, this .270 is a killer", at that point I am done with the conversation.

I can honestly say, I shot a coyote at 523 yards on the run during a contest. I had two witnesses and we verified it with a laser range finder. As for the lead? I really couldn't tell you. I know I barely had the dog in my scope because I was leading so much and so high. Pulled that shot out of my chute, could NOT do it again.

Myth I've heard:
Cover scents work.

Keeping tabs on the wind works as far as scent control goes.

If you can stand it, skunk essence works somewhat but only delays detection.

Best method is to make your scent part of the landscape... An area that you visit often is easier hunting. I have also intentionally stepped on all wet cow patties I could on the way to my calling position... Seems to work... Not sure... But fun in a juvenile way..

You got that right. I used to trap predators and I used skunk scent as a long range attractant. Even if you do manage to cover your scent, the odor you apply usually acts as a curiosity lure and points you out to an incoming animal.

I don't even count those anymore. Whenever I hear the "I shot it running at 400 yards", I always ask, how much did you lead it or how high did you aim, never have I gotten an answer that was even remotely right, usually its "right on him, this .270 is a killer", at that point I am done with the conversation.
Panfisher

================================================

I did get a buck with my .270 loaded with Nosler Ballistic tip 140 grain, on the run left to right at 300 yards. I lead him about a body length and foot high. He dropped right away. When we dressed him the top of his heart was gone. Could I do it again....no clue, but I was happy with that shot even though he was not as large rack-wise as he seemed when I saw him running. I heard my son yelling something mostly muffled but I could make out the word "big".....when I got near my son he said, " I yelled he wasn't very big" oh well, I was happy with my shot.

Isn't it funny that when the buck gets away it was always the biggest? Around here people often say " he was so big it looked like he had a rockin chair on his head!"

Although not really a myth, the old youtube video of the Formula 1 car hitting the deer is the most memorable for me... That thing really sailed

yesterday afternoon I took my dog for a walk--he had to go bad cause he took a pee right at the base of the steps to my house. Well, this morning I took him for a walk and his marking apparently drew a lot of critters in to investigate--among the tracks are several deer which came and checked it out. My guess is pee of any kind interests most wild animals since it's a primary form of communication with them.

PS--I was driving back from town last night and a lady was screaming and jumping up and down "watch out for the deer!" as there was a doe standing right in the middle of the road. I pulled up to it, rolled my window down and said in Fat Bastard fashion "Get in my belly!" she took off fast.

Last edited:
My guess is pee of any kind interests most wild animals since it's a primary form of communication with them.
It all quickly breaks down into ammonia, so there's little difference in the main odors in just a short time

I always thought it was the salt in the urine. Anybody that ever fox trapped can tell you they caught a lot of cottontails in fox post sets. I have caught my share of deer in fox pee sets also.

Back