oh the myths that surround hunting.

Ehh, you miss Bambi but figure on a miss going to a looks-like-empty hillside. Trouble is, that no-orange, invisible fella that happens to be on the hillside might be unlucky. Shame the guy was so proud of his camo clothing.

He's supposed to be able to pick out a motionless camoflaged hunter in a treeline up to a mile away? I couldn't do that, could you?
Unless you're shooting at some extreme angles, your bullets aren't going anywhere near that far.

The large flat, open areas here have lead some counties to only allow rifle hunting from elevated stands at least 8 ft tall, and blaze orange is required for most all firearm hunting

Unless you're shooting at some extreme angles, your bullets aren't going anywhere near that far.

You can't guarantee that.

I know I've seen tracers on M60 MG ranges ricochet and burn out well before hitting the ground ... IIRC, burnout was 1500 meters of free flight....

The point is, if there's a guy camoed up in the trees on the other side of a hayfield during firearm deer season .... how am I supposed to know? That's why there's regs for Hunter Orange.

There was a girl near here shot in the head a few years ago. She was in the car and the bullet went through a side window. I don't remember the range, but it was pretty darn far. The girl lived through it. It was the case that brought about the landowner protection law in PA. I totally believe bullets go more than a mile. There are guys here that shoot across the river to the other mountain and do quite well.

1500 meters is still less than a mile, richchets also lose velocity quickly and pass-throughs even more quickly. I've been hit with richochets from 25 feet away(original bullet was 125gr), my hand was up and took a small gash and my jaw stopped the pojectile completely. if you think a bullet is going to pass through a deer and kill a person standing a mile behind that deer, you need a serious lesson in ballistics. yes some freak occurrences have been documented in the past, but really people are talking about a 1 in 6 billion type of scenario.

I also highly doubt that even if the person was wearing hunter's orange, you aren't going to see him a mile away.

Again, unless you're shooting at extreme angles

threetop bird hunting with rifles is pretty common in my parts, shooting in an upward angle. as the myth says the roof of our big paperplant is littered with bulletholes:D

also a couple of years ago some dude was sitting on his porch when a round went thru his roof and shattered his toilet:eek:

I can see why some people want to ban this form of hunting I really do. sure know your target and what is beyond it but you can't know what is several kilometers from your target

While a head shot is very effective if made perfectly, the target is fairly small and the effectiveness of shots made to the surrounding area drops rapidly.

Body shots have a larger target area and the effectiveness of shots made to the surrounding area drops off slowly.

In other words if you miss a brain shot by four inches you'll hit the jaw or some other area that will make a lingering wound.

If you miss a heart shot by four inches you'll still hit the lungs, blood vessels or something that will still provide a quick death.

I hate to be all anatomical and all, but but if you miss a deer brain by 4", the jaw (and nose) are only a small part of the miss zone. A lot of that miss will be air and no harm done. A lot of that miss will be a neck shot which can be very good.

If you miss the heart by 4", there is a large zone that is lung and blood vessels, no doubt, but there is also either leg that may get shot below the box and part of the front breast.

The "heart" area is a better, higher percentage shot, but you can still cripple the animal in a bad way.

He's supposed to be able to pick out a motionless camoflaged hunter in a treeline up to a mile away? I couldn't do that, could you?

I doubt I could see him ..... unless he was wearing ....... wait for it ....... hunter orange.

If I fail to see someone who was not wearing hunter orange, and my bullet (pass-through or a miss, whatever) hits him ..... I'd call that unfortunate, but not my fault at all. There's a reason for the Hunter Orange regs.

Because some hunters are idiots and take sound or movement shots. Because some hunters don't identify their targets.

Funny thing about hunter regs is that they usually only apply to....wait for it..... hunters. What happens when you shoot that hiker because you decided to use the general forest as your backstop?

That happened before deer season right here. A local guy just walked into the woods to sight in his rifle (Newspaper version). Allegedly he was unloading and the gun went off (Nobody believes that). Hit two high school kids messing around in the woods with one shot. Both will be OK.

well I had a smart reply to hitting people through deer from miles away but apparently it was flagged and removed. guess I'll hold my tongue on this matter then.

A local game keeper on this side of the pond used to brag about the fox that he claims to have shot at 600 yards with his trusty 22.250 in a spotlight. When asked how much drop did he give it he answered " about a foot ". I know that the 22.250's flat shooting but that's something very "special "!

A local game keeper on this side of the pond used to brag about the fox that he claims to have shot at 600 yards with his trusty 22.250 in a spotlight. When asked how much drop did he give it he answered " about a foot ". I know that the 22.250's flat shooting but that's something very "special "!
I used to hear similar tales when I worked in the gun shop, of "400 yd shots" with a 30-30, zeroed at 100, but holding "right on top of their back".

I don't even count those anymore. Whenever I hear the "I shot it running at 400 yards", I always ask, how much did you lead it or how high did you aim, never have I gotten an answer that was even remotely right, usually its "right on him, this .270 is a killer", at that point I am done with the conversation.

While I haven't read this entire thread, I think the myth of the ineffectiveness of .223 as a hunting cartridge is high on my list.
If used appropriately, it is quite effective.

Yes, lol, but as with any cartridge, you must stick within its limitations....
I wouldn't use it on deer myself, but have used it on pigs many times without fail... All within 100yds I must add

I've used most of the hunting cartridges of varying makes as the market for bullets fluctuated. 62gr fusion, razorback ect.. Some of those will exit on low chest shots...

Hornaday V-max to the neck down from the ear an inch or two will stop them in place. Neck is the easiest place on a pig for me.

I've actually grazed piglets in the grass when trying heart shots on larger pigs... Three times. I never saw them there... The piglets are a mess and the sow gets away

A local game keeper on this side of the pond used to brag about the fox that he claims to have shot at 600 yards with his trusty 22.250 in a spotlight.

I'm more interested in that 600 yard spotlight!

Back