oh the myths that surround hunting.

All the ethical stuff gets me fired up. If its legal then go for it, if you don't like what someone is doing look the other way or go somewhere else. If enough people really think its wrong then they will try to change the law. But until its illegal, leave them alone.

A kinda local guy just posted a picture of his kid and the bull he shot, in the head, from 650 yards. Would I do that? Not a chance in you know where. But because I did not spend all year shooting pie plates at a 1000 yards and am not capable of it, does not mean this young man is not capable. Him and is dad spent all summer shooting pie plates at a 1000 yards in anticipation of this hunt because they new the shots were going to be between 600 and 800 yards.

I know a lot of hunters would say how un ethical he shot an animal from so far away, or how un ethical he shot he elk in the head. Well you know what, it is not any of my business, and really, I think its pretty cool, how many high school kids put the kind of effort into any thing any more, that this kid had to put in to be ready for this shot. I am happy for him and his dad, all their hard work paid off.

Last edited:
You really think a 1600 x 1200 pixel picture is necessary? This page will be loading until Tuesday for a dial up member.

in all but my most recent deer, those hit with a "textbook" behind the shoulder shot have made it at least 25 yards.

I'm picturing a textbook coming out of nowhere and smacking a deer behind the shoulder... :D

I had this experience this morning, shot an 80lb Doe with a 150 gr Fed Trophy Bonded and she ran about 70 yds, when I found her she was dead and there wasn't much of the heart left. I'm still pretty surprised she made it that far (uphill).

In WV and if you're hunting, rifle's can hold up to 5 and shotguns 3.
We always hang them head up, dad always hung them by their neck with a rope.
Deer can run with a good heart shot or head shot. They can run a few hundred yards.
Here, pretty much anything center fire is legal except shot.

The only myths I here really are you're allowed to have uncased rifles during season. And the people who think 300 mag is small for deer. And SKS rifles are legal to hunt with, they are not for deer in this state. I've ran into a few hunters using them.

You don't need a hunting / fishing license if you're on your own property.

Depends upon the laws of the state you are in: in Nebraska, wildlife are legally the property of the people of the state (a Natural Resource, like water) ..... you DO neeed a permit to hunt on your own property ( same as you can't pump all the water you want out of the aquifer you share with all your neighbors) .......

The only myths I here really are you're allowed to have uncased rifles during season. And the people who think 300 mag is small for deer. And SKS rifles are legal to hunt with, they are not for deer in this state. I've ran into a few hunters using them.

If the only problem with them is the magazine capacity (like here in Nebraska), then you can modify the magazine to restrict the capacity to 5 rounds ...... a wooden wedge shaped "plug", either glued in (PL400!) or screwed into the bottom of the magazine works ......

WV Gunner, I did not quite get the post. Are you saying an SKS is not legal for deer in WV? I have used my AR many times. I don't think there is a round count restriction either. I could be wrong, the regulation book can be kind of vague sometimes.

You don't need a hunting / fishing license if you're on your own property.

This is true in Ohio. In fact Ohio requires no fishing license on any private land.

3 shot limit for deer. Shotgun slug or muzzleloader only until this year will be first for pistol caliber rifles.

Last edited:
Hmm maybe this should go into the follow up shot topic. But Thursday morning on the way to work I placed a "follow up shot" on a large bodied small antlered buck that a nice young lady in the oncoming lane hit as we were meeting. She was driving a mini-van I was driving my F-150. Deer was very very dead after she hit it and catapulted it into the front left of my truck then bounced it back into the side of her van on the way to the ditch. So everyone if'n your gonna hit a deer with a vehicle, use a big enough one. And you know you are in the country when the second question asked after the "are you OK's" is "Do you eat deer meat, I sure would like to have some of that deer". My reply, ma'am fair is fair, you hit it first its all yours. Looking like about $4200 or so in damage to the truck, but I drove it on to work and then home.

I have yet to talk to a hunter that has not taken a deer at 300 yards or more. Some of these same people that actually show up at the range shoot 8 inch groups at 100 yards.

I have yet to talk to a hunter that has not taken a deer at 300 yards or more. Some of these same people that actually show up at the range shoot 8 inch groups at 100 yards.

Those that shoot 8 inch groups @ 100yards and try to take deer "300 yards or more" probably need the unlimited magazine capacity that apparently so many states allow ..... with enough lead in the air, they'd stand a chance of hitting a deer 300 yards away, somewhere, occasionally .....

Last edited:
You don 't need a N.C. license for land you own or if you lease it for farming purposes.
You do need to tag the big game , but the tags are free.

I'm not sure how that works with migratory birds, duck stamps, etc.

I've heard lots of stories about guys taking deer at 300 yards with 12 guage slugs. I also learned that either a hunter's yard is less than 12" or that i have a 9 foot stride.

Those long range shots are only possible when the right gear is worn. Wearing full camouflage extend ones ability to hit distant targets by at least two hundred yards.

Back