NRA Sues Ackerman-McQueen, Ackerman-McQueen Tries to Oust LaPierre at Meeting

So, you didn’t feel it was relevant the NRA’s new lawyer was billing them $1 million a month and then donating to politicians who called the NRA a terrorist organization and are anti-2A?

To me that raises several questions:
1. Does that lawyer have the NRA’s best interest at heart?
2. Are the scary anti-gun quotes in the NRA ads bought and paid for by “cleaning” the donations through this lawyer? Is this the equivalent of trash talk in professional wrestling?
3. If so, what are the real policy positions of these politicians or the NRA for that matter?

You keep bringing up moderates and all this kumbaya vibe; but being inclusive with people who think you are an evil terrorist leads nowhere good. And I might add, a prominent leader of the AM side of the coup was David Boren, the former Democratic Governor and Senator of Oklahoma. It would be great if there was still room for people like him in the Democratic party; but there isn’t. And that’s not the NRA’s fault either.

It would be nice to be able to identify with a organization that people who are gun owners can identify with but that organization stays out of other, non gun related, social issues..

It’s still a freeish country. Go start one. I’m sure an organization of marshmellowly, sit on the sidelines types will accomplish great things for the 2A.

Bartholomew Roberts said:
So, you didn’t feel it was relevant the NRA’s new lawyer was billing them $1 million a month and then donating to politicians who called the NRA a terrorist organization and are anti-2A?
Was/is Brewer a "new" lawyer? I had the impression (and I don't know where I got it) that Brewer had been the NRA's attorney for some time. Given Brewer's familial ties to Ackerman-McQueen, it makes more sense (to me, anyway) that the NRA would have engaged him on Ack-Mac's recommendation before the acrimony broke out between the NRA and Ack-Mac than that after the dispute erupted the NRA -- headquartered in the metropolitan Washington area -- would somehow turn to the one law firm in the country whose principal just happens to be the son-in-law of the principal of the entity they are suing. That this could happen by coincidence simply strains credibility.

It’s still a freeish country. Go start one. I’m sure an organization of marshmellowly, sit on the sidelines types will accomplish great things for the 2A.

Or start one that's hawkish on the 2A and quiet about everything else. And ideally one that doesn't have a crush on marshmellowly politicians.

On reflection, it also occurs to me that the fact Brewer took the case at all is a massive conflict of interest. Being a card-carrying conspiracy theorist, IMHO it tends to support my suspicion that this is a sham lawsuit, instituted by the NRA against Ack-Mac with their foreknowledge and collusion, designed to demonstrate a sudden spate of fiscal/fiduciary responsibility on the part of the NRA, but prosecuted by Brewer in such a way that the NRA is assured of losing (and, in passing, to further enrich the Brewer law firm through inflated and unsupported billings -- the same sort of thing the NRA is suing Ack-Mac over).

I was once an expert witness in a construction lawsuit. The first day in court was a waste because the judge recused herself. The plaintiff owned a swimming pool service company. When the attorneys introduced their clients, the judge realized that on one occasion she had hired the plaintiff's company to clean her swimming pool. She felt that created the possibility of a perception of a conflict of interest.

If that was a conflict of interest -- how much of a conflict is it for a lawyer to be suing his own father-in-law's company?

I’d guess you are correct on how NRA ended up engaging Brewer. It is a huge conflict of interest, although NRA as an allegedly savvy client can waive that conflict. A judge who is elected by the public has to go by public perception.

In an ideal world, the NRA board would carefully consider the potential conflict and decide whether it was worth the risk. It sure doesn’t seem like that is what happened here, given the very public split between key board members.

William Brewer has some serious ethics problems. In Texas Brewer was fined $177,000 for attempting to poison a jury pool.

A Texas Court of Appeals has affirmed $177,000 in sanctions against William Brewer III after a trial court ruled the prominent Dallas attorney engaged in abusive litigation tactic by commissioning a pretrial telephone survey meant to improperly influence a jury pool in a wrongful death case.

https://www.law.com/texaslawyer/201...awyer-for-use-of-push-poll-to-sway-jury-pool/

A federal judge in VA case barred William Brewer for withholding information.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/09/nra-lawyer-william-brewer-false-claim/

I’d guess you are correct on how NRA ended up engaging Brewer. It is a huge conflict of interest, although NRA as an allegedly savvy client can waive that conflict. A judge who is elected by the public has to go by public perception.

In an ideal world, the NRA board would carefully consider the potential conflict and decide whether it was worth the risk. It sure doesn’t seem like that is what happened here, given the very public split between key board members.
I know some attorneys who wouldn't even consider representing a client who wants to sue a close relative of the aforementioned attorney.

For obvious reasons.

Does the NRA think it's relevant? Or did the NRA fire the person who knows how to use google?
I’m sure an organization of marshmellowly, sit on the sidelines types will accomplish great things for the 2A.

Yup, probably better that the [Deleted by mods] show that's going on with the NRA today...
Or start one that's hawkish on the 2A and quiet about everything else.

What he said...
You keep bringing up moderates and all this kumbaya vibe; but being inclusive with people who think you are an evil terrorist leads nowhere good.

Most if not all of my gun owning friends, who are mostly 'moderates', don't think the NRA are a bunch of terrorists but because of their rhetoric(WLP mostly), steer clear...I don't think they are either but.....my 'search' for a gun organization that I can identify with, continues.
Or start one that's hawkish on the 2A and quiet about everything else

Last edited:
Does the NRA think it's relevant? Or did the NRA fire the person who knows how to use google?

Yup, probably better that the [Deleted by mods] show that's going on with the NRA today...

What he said...

Most if not all of my gun owning friends, who are mostly 'moderates', don't think the NRA are a bunch of terrorists but because of their rhetoric(WLP mostly), steer clear...I don't think they are either but.....my 'search' for a gun organization that I can identify with, continues.
the simple fact is if you want or allow or accept any further growth or control of the federal government in the daily lives of American citizens and or what type of guns and accessories they own, you cannot be a true 2nd Amendment supporter. the federal government and the 2nd Amendment are on opposite sides.

Board member Tim Knight has all committee assignments revoked for criticizing spending at NRA: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/nr...ship-spending/
Gee, I'll bet nobody saw that coming.

I know a building inspector who was fired for doing his job. Same idea here -- a board of directors has a primary duty to watch over the conduct and finances of the entity on whose board they serve. It's a very sad day when the NRA punishes a director for doing his job.

Gee, I'll bet nobody saw that coming.

I know a building inspector who was fired for doing his job. Same idea here -- a board of directors has a primary duty to watch over the conduct and finances of the entity on whose board they serve. It's a very sad day when the NRA punishes a director for doing his job.
the dumpster fire that is the NRA leadership continues to burn and stink up the neighborhood.

If this keeps up, at some point I can see a group of members initiating a class action lawsuit against the NRA executive officers and board members for failure to conduct the affairs of the organization in a proper fashion.

Unless that last bylaws revision a couple of years ago stacked the deck so badly that nothing the board or LaPierre does can be challenged by the membership. (Which, of course, is eactly what Jeff Knox tried to warn us about at the time.)

It doesn’t look like even the Board has much control over the leadership currently. That’s how many Board members resigned or unpersoned in the last couple if months? North, West, Schneider, Johnson, Brownell, Knight, Childress, and Boren?

And that doesn’t include leadership positions not filled by Board members.

Last edited:
Back