NRA Sues Ackerman-McQueen, Ackerman-McQueen Tries to Oust LaPierre at Meeting

I don’t mind paying a seven figure salary if I’m getting seven figure salary results. For that matter, Wayne can buy a yacht and a house on Lake Como if he delivers. However, if the NRA has been delivering those kind of results, they’ve done a poor job of communicating it to their members.

You have to wonder if the NRA pays any attention to opinions on online gun forums. Does anyone remember ever getting any sort of survey from the NRA asking for opinions of the job they are doing? Does the NRA even have a "customer service" email or phone number where opinions can be submitted?

I again am stating we need to explore "clawing back" our forward paid dues. The NRA will be forced to listen to members if their income is hurt.

You have to wonder if the NRA pays any attention to opinions on online gun forums

In the eyes of the nra, we probably aren’t at a critical mass sufficient to justify their attention. Take here, THR, arfcom, calguns, glocktalk, and a few other of the most used forums... I would wager 90% of the posts in the past year on these forums combined have come from less than 20000 people. That’s a thimble of water in the swimming pool compared to 5 million NRA members. We have to start effectively rocking the boat outside our echo chamber of ardent 2A supporters to get any attention.

You have to wonder if the NRA pays any attention to opinions on online gun forums

I imagine they have a dim idea of what the internet is, but they just hire a few interns to deal with it.

Comments on gun forums and social media don't really have an effect on anything.

Demand some basics-Audit and Accountability

Demand some basics-Audit and Accountability: The problem with the NRA has been generally named. It's time for some specific answers. Anytime you have that much money involved with no accountability sharks will swarm. Time to put in some sound conservative management in place. Start with audit and accountability. I would not be surprised some of the high flyers caught some legal charges. :eek:

I imagine they have a dim idea of what the internet is, but they just hire a few interns to deal with it.

You've seen the intern picture. Think about why some are hired.

Some of the higher folk in the ILA are quite aware of the Internet. Cox is now an enemy.

Using an on-line inflation calculator, a salary of $190,000 in 1995 equated to $317,033,54 in 2018. So between salary and other compensation, it appears that LaPierre's total compensation package is worth about four times as much now as it was when he was made Executive VP. I'd say that's extremely unusual for a non-profit, member organization.

It is not extremely uncommon for the top not for profit to have about one million dollar executive compensation with bonuses. Especially if related to development (fundraising). Head of PBS gets over a million per year. The head of Mitre, a fair sized non profit got $3.5 in the 990 I am looking at. Head of Cystic Fibrosis $1.3 million.

I don't have a problem with an effective NRA head making a million or two a year in DC if they are both effective at communicating and fundraising and can lead an effective strategy. I don't know how much fundraising LaPierre can take credit for but I don't consider him effective at communicating beyond part of the base and consider him a negative outside of the base.

I would say that in the big picture that unless an internal group arises that will address this crisis the NRA is in big trouble simply due to the fact that it has extremely powerful and profoundly more monied enemies in the gun control lobby..

There is an extreme danger of a protracted and fatal civil war. If you notice many of the NRA critics here -- and on gun forums we have a self selected unrepresentative group -- think the NRA is not firm enough, whereas that may not at all be the case among contributors or rank and file members, or gun owners.

NRA did not take its position on bump stock or especially on red flag out of an organic tendency to compromise, but rather because these were extremely high momentum and massively popular legislative efforts, where reducing the effect, and NRA did achieve reduced effect, were reasonable tactics and goals.

TDL said:
It is not extremely uncommon for the top not for profit to have about one million dollar executive compensation with bonuses. Especially if related to development (fundraising). Head of PBS gets over a million per year. The head of Mitre, a fair sized non profit got $3.5 in the 990 I am looking at. Head of Cystic Fibrosis $1.3 million.
The difference is that those are not member organizations.

NRA did not take its position on bump stock or especially on red flag out of an organic tendency to compromise, but rather because these were extremely high momentum and massively popular legislative efforts, where reducing the effect, and NRA did achieve reduced effect, were reasonable tactics and goals.
We have only the NRA's word on that, and right now their word is worth nothing in this corner.

Why do I belong to the NRA? Not for their magazines, not to go to their shows, etc., not to wear their hat or patches.

Why? To represent my opinion of absolute protection of the Second Amendment as written by the founding fathers of this nation.

Aguila Blanca - it's not unusual for a non-profit to pay big bucks to top people. It's not right, but it happens all the time. San Franciscograd spends $300 million on homeless and much of it goes to various groups that support the homeless. I wouldn't be surprised if the top executives collect the vast majority of the money given to them by the city.

Why do I belong to the NRA? Not for their magazines, not to go to their shows, etc., not to wear their hat or patches.

Why? To represent my opinion of absolute protection of the Second Amendment as written by the founding fathers of this nation.

In my opinion, unfortunately, they are not doing an adequate job of said absolute protection. It would be worse without them, but they certainly could do better.

Back