NRA Sues Ackerman-McQueen, Ackerman-McQueen Tries to Oust LaPierre at Meeting

WLP should step down now, even if he hasn’t really done anything wrong, because the trust is broken. He won’t, because as you said he wants the big chair. And I don’t believe he is fully innocent in this matter like some board members insist.

Bingo. His actions now confirm that he's more concerned with himself and what benefits him than the health of the NRA.

And nothing that the media or Democrats are doing is nearly as damaging to the cause or horrific as what happened (so far) this weekend.

As with the past several posts, I fully agree. The political winds are dramatically increasing against the 2A, and a united front is needed, not a self-serving front, whether real or perceived.

More words are not needed, but a united singular voice to speak for us is.

Bingo. His actions now confirm that he's more concerned with himself and what benefits him than the health of the NRA.

And nothing that the media or Democrats are doing is nearly as damaging to the cause or horrific as what happened (so far) this weekend.
Indeed..2 incidents in 24 hours...4 in the last couple of weeks..

For ME..stay aware, stay armed, stay trained..to protect me and mine..

The NRA issues are self inflicted also..
More words are not needed, but a united singular voice to speak for us is.

WLP needs to go..

Last edited:
The New York attorney general subpoenaed financial records of 90 past and present NRA board members.

There are rumors that one or more former NRA executives are co-operating with the NY AG.

I have a feeling that a whole bunch of directors who thought their only function was to have their names appear on the list of directors are going to be in for a rude awakening when their attorneys explain that, as directors, they had a fiduciary duty to the membership to be aware of where and how the money was being spent, and to have raised objections if the money wasn't being spent prudently or if they couldn't get answers.

"I don't know because I never attended meetings" is not an acceptable answer.

I don't think leaving absolves them of their fiduciary responsibility for the time they were there. Some of them are going to find that out the hard way.

Last one to leave, turn out the lights.

The whole meltdown has me sick to my stomach about our rights. The question then becomes where to go next? Since WP is going down with the ship (or taking the ship down I should say) I say we need to be looking for an organization that can be just powerful but structured with more accountability.

zxcvbob said:
I don't think leaving absolves them of their fiduciary responsibility for the time they were there. Some of them are going to find that out the hard way.
I agree with you regarding their fiduciary duty.

I read somewhere recently that the NRA provided it's officers and directors with officers and directors liability insurance coverage. The article indicated (if I read it correctly) that the coverage was terminated recently. That could explain why so many directors are bailing out now.

That "gotcha" might be in the way the insurance is structured. I know nothing about officers and directors insurance but, as an architect, I know a bit about professional liability insurance. The key point is that it's written on a "claims made" basis. In plain English, that means the insurance has to be paid up and in force at the time the claim is made.

Example: In my state, the statute of limitations for professional negligence is seven years. Say I take on a project that takes a year to design and another year to build. The owner requires that I carry $5 million in professional liability insurance. I start the insurance on the date I sign the contract. No problems as of the end of construction -- can I stop paying for $5 million of insurance at that point?

Nope. The owner has seven years to find something he doesn't like about my design or my services. If he waits until 6 years and six months down the road to file suit, if I am not still carrying that same coverage, the fact that I maintained insurance throughout the design and construction periods means nothing. The policy has to be in effect on the date the claim is made.

I expect (but don't know) that officers and directors coverage functions the same way. If so, resigning from the board now won't help them if there's no insurance when a lawsuit is filed.

All organizations offer directors and officers liability insurance. The terms, though, presume the individuals are acting properly and with due consideration for their responsibilities. It doesn't cover corruption. It doesn't cover directors if they are not acting properly.

Cirdan said:
All organizations offer directors and officers liability insurance.
No, not all organizations offer directors and officers liability insurance. I have served on the boards of multiple not-for-profit organizations over the years, and none of them offered it. During the period when I was on the board of a mental health halfway house I bought and paid for my own directors and officers liability policy.

Comments on the Wayne LaPierre testimonial in the September American Rifleman? Seems that if you question his leadership, you have joined the other side. I did not have a lot of energy for this issue until I read this puff piece. Now, I surely hope there will be a slate of board candidates pledged to make changes. I certainly won't vote for anyone who does not make that commitment.

Back