Need help with a mouse gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry
Did you happen to LOOK at the picture above? The .25 is just a little bit smaller than the J frame S&W. I personally can't carry a J frame in my pants pocket, and neither can a lot of other people.

I have carried a Walther TPH .22 on occasion..usually in shorts at a tropical location. Think head shots head shots head shots! My TPH is the only one I've ever shot that's 100% reliable.

Current pocket pistol of choice is LCP with Corbon DPXs.

Michael B

Michael Bane
SHOOTING GALLERY
THE BEST DEFENSE

Of the two choices, I'd choose the .25 as well. But, I'd much preffer a NAA .32 or my Seecamp. The NAA will give you more ammo choices than the Seecamp, but if you can find a Seecamp for reasonable money (~$350-$400) get it.

Bill DeShivs,

The 642 weighs 15oz. plus 5 rounds of .38... you cannot feel it... at all.

Hope you only make forehead shots. If your .25 auto did make it through my thick leather jacket, zipout lining, shirt and t-shirt it wouldn't have a helluva lot left....

IMHO, pulling a .25 out just gives someone good reason to put 2 or 3 big holes in ya.

Wound ballistics for the .25 are poor anyway... Putting a thick leather jacket, winter lining, and other layers clothes in front of it, you might as well be using a good pellet gun.

Move up to an Airweight .38 +P.

What about the Ruger LCP? Recall notwithstanding, i have heard it is good and reliable. Can be pocket carried, ankle carried, or other methods.

How about Smith and Wesson's Titanium Airlite series revolvers .... 342 PD (airlite .38 +P jacketed, 11 oz. and change, 5 rounds)? 351 PD (airlite .22 mag, circa 10 oz., 7 rounds)? 317 (airlite .22 lr, 10 oz. and change, 8 rounds)?

I'm thinking about a 351 PD. Thoughts?

Wound ballistics for the .25 are poor anyway... Putting a thick leather jacket, winter lining, and other layers clothes in front of it, you might as well be using a good pellet gun.

Move up to an Airweight .38 +P.

Most handgun calibers are not known for "fantastic" wound ballistics; use a rifle or shotgun if you want those.

Different carry is often dictated by different requirements. I normally carry a G29 10mm, which does have a bit better "ballistics" than a .38. However, there are times that even a "sub-compact" Glock is way too big. And times when my .38 is way too big.

Mouse guns are for ease of carry, i.e. tighter dress slacks, shorts, when you really need deep concealment. I am taller than average height, own a S&W .38 snubby that always rides in an OWB holster; does not fit in the pocket holster in my pocket worth a darn.

I agree with Bill D. that pocket carrying a .38 is not "the end all" for a lot of folks.

I shoot .25 as one of my calibers, and would not want to be shot nine times COM even with my Winter clothing, and I live in Alaska; has not been above -20 for weeks, just a few layers of clothing.

Would I rather have the shotgun/rifle/10mm? Yes.
Have I carried pretty much daily, even if this means a .25 on occasion? Yes.

AZAK: "Most handgun calibers are not known for "fantastic" wound ballistics; use a rifle or shotgun if you want those."

Why are you now talking about a rifle, shotgun or 10mm? The discussion is on small guns. You said a .38 is too big for your pocket - I doubt a rifle will fit in it either. :confused:

Read this first, then never carry anything smaller than a .38spl/.380/9mm.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Then ditch the .25 at a gun buy-back program.

Last edited:
Ok all you people that been killed or maimed by a 25 . it didn't happen Return to your normal life. A 25 auto in jell (Ball ammo )went 13 to 16" FBI say 12" remember . In Nam I shot thru our issued flack vest at about 10' with a 25 another crew chief had. Don't bet on a leather jacket.
I have a Made in italy Beretta 950 no safety made to carry hammer down safely. manual even approves It the US model that have the lawyer safety.
I have a NAA 22/22 mag revolver Please the 25 can be emptyed 9 aimed rounds before you can even think about 5 rounds of even the 22LR . 22LR NAA won't out penterate the 25 ball either HP or Solid Check NAA own figures for their pistols.
Beretta is the Best 25 on the market I have 3 and will carry now and then.

then never carry anything smaller than a .38spl/.380/9mm.
Emphasis by AZAK

I think that the operative word here is "carry". Great for those who like/can comfortably and confidently pocket carry a .38 and do. Some can't/won't/don't with the .38.

While I would prefer to carry larger than a .38, there are occasions where even pocket carry of a .38 is just not prudent. Part of concealed carry is concealed carry. And I say this as not a fan of .40 and lower. (Personal choice.) Carrying concealed is pretty much a trade off somewhere. Like you said:
You said a .38 is too big for your pocket - I doubt a rifle will fit in it either.

So, pocket carry of a .22, .25 or .32 that is actually carried has far better "wound ballistics" than any other caliber left at home.

I have read this previously, including:
THE HUMAN TARGET
With the exceptions of hits to the brain or upper spinal cord, the concept of reliable and
reproducible immediate incapacitation of the human target by gunshot wounds to the torso is a myth.27

The human target can be reliably incapacitated only by disrupting or destroying the brain or upper
spinal cord. Absent that, incapacitation is subject to a host of variables, the most important of which are
beyond the control of the shooter.

CONCLUSIONS
Physiologically, no caliber or bullet is certain to incapacitate any individual unless the brain is hit.
Psychologically, some individuals can be incapacitated by minor or small caliber wounds. Those
individuals who are stimulated by fear, adrenaline, drugs, alcohol, and/or sheer will and survival
determination may not be incapacitated even if mortally wounded.

I do recognize your point, that is why I normally carry 10mm.
No law
enforcement officer has lost his life because a bullet over penetrated his adversary, and virtually none
have ever been sued for hitting an innocent bystander through an adversary. On the other hand, tragically
large numbers of officers have been killed because their bullets did not penetrate deeply enough.

A bird in the hand...

Michael T & AZAK,

I have learned a lot……

I did not know that .25 auto ammo is a good self-defense round.

And I certainly did not know that .25 auto-pistols are known far and wide for their reliability. (Even in pocket lint)

I did not know that. I will look at some .25s this week-end for sure.... and put my 642 up for sale soon.

Thanks for the info.

Michael T & AZAK,

I have learned a lot……

I did not know that .25 auto ammo is a good self-defense round.

And I certainly did not know that .25 auto-pistols are known far and wide for their reliability. (Even in pocket lint)

I did not know that. I will look at some .25s this week-end for sure.... and put my 642 up for sale soon.

Thanks for the info.

Sarcasm, a deeply helpful and intelligent debate tactic... :rolleyes:

I will look at some .25s this week-end for sure.... and put my 642 up for sale soon.
I feel compelled to help you. I'll find a Lorcin .25 and trade for the 642. You'll have to pay the postage and FFL fees since you're trading up, however.

I guess you just don't understand or don't want to. Nobody thinks a .25 is an ideal defensive round or even as good as a .38 special. Most often when I carry mine, it's because I have a choice of carrying a .25 or nothing. A J-frame is a heck of a lot thicker than my Beretta 950.

Larry apparently thiks highly of his opinion. What works for Larry doesn't always work for everyone else, but Larry doesn't understand that, nor does he care. It doesn't matter to Larry that some of (probably most of) the respondents have an awful lot of experience with guns. Larry has his mind made up, and no one will confuse him with facts. My bet is Larry won't last long on too many gun forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back