Need help with a mouse gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I carry my NAA 22Mag all the time. (As a backup to my 357) But, I feel very comfortable with it as a backup.

I have a 25 auto also and I dont like them as for needing them. I've seen way to many people shot with a 25 that it didn't affect them at all. I seen a black guy one time that had one stuck in his skull. The bullet didn't have enough force to penetrate.

now, this is down to how the gun shoots also. I've got one 25 (My dad currently carries it) but that sucker is hard shooting and will Penetrate where my other browning 25 won't.

Of the OP's original choices the Jetfire would be my preference.

The .32 ACP Tomcat is not a good choice. They suffer from broken firing pins and cracked slides and have the worst double action and single action triggers I have ever encountered. MY WWII era Webley has a lighter trigger.

My Tomcat went in a gun buyback scheme and I was glad to be rid of it and have the money to put into a new, reliable firearm.

Many Thanks

Thanks for your response everyone, it helped.

I was picked for a security, bodyguard detail in the San Francisco Area that involved close, constant contact and appearances by the two principals. The principals demanded that weapons not be visible by anyone close. This was non-negotiable and is harder to do than you might think in a tuxedo. The outer perimeter had no restrictions. Long story short, I picked one of the two smallest guns I have in my arsenal and with your help went with my Beretta 950 Jetfire in 25 ACP. My carpal tunnel and trigger finger prevented me from using my Walther PPK/S and it is much more visible than the Jetfire.

Many of the handguns I have I can no longer shoot due to my problems. Normally I don’t do work like this but the money was way too good! If I could meet each of you that contributed your vast knowledge I would buy you a drink.

Thanks again! :)

Trigger Finger

and with your help went with my Beretta 950 Jetfire in 25 ACP

It sounds like this is a pistol that you may have already carried on occasion. I am curious how you have carried it in the past (i.e. location) and in what condition. (And any concerns about any of the conditions with this particular pistol.)

Wisdom/voice of experience would be appreciated!

Beretta makes a .380 about the same size as a .25. It has a tip-up barrel so no need to have to work the slide to load. That would be my choice. Period.

AZAK
"It sounds like this is a pistol that you may have already carried on occasion. I am curious how you have carried it in the past (i.e. location) and in what condition. (And any concerns about any of the conditions with this particular pistol."

Yes, I have carried this pistol in the past but usually as a back up. This time I carried in Condition Two in a pocket holster, right rear pocket. They said that it was still visible in the tux cummberbund, I found that hard to believe. But everything is working out great. The worst part was working Christmas and having to work on New Years but that is why it pays so well! :D

One thing that I can't stress enough is if you have to carry such a small pistol is keep it clean and practice allot.

Beretta makes a .380 about the same size as a .25. It has a tip-up barrel so no need to have to work the slide to load. That would be my choice. Period.

You're thinking of the Tomcat, which is available only as a .32. Beretta's smallest .380 is the Cheetah, which is much larger than the Jetfire.

.25 ACP when size counts over calibre.

My Baby Browning with a Beretta 71 and an SW model 12 Airweight for size comparison.

S5000004-5.jpg

S5000030.jpg

"sweet little baby browning"

thanx for sharing the picture of the baby, those are the coolest looking little guns, wish they were not so pricey, I ended up getting a LCP, but I sure eyeballed the baby browning at my local gun shop many times

Attachments

• lcp small.jpg
    lcp small.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 53
.22 ammo also has the disadvantage of not being sealed well. So if kept in a gun for a long time it absorbs oils and becomes useless. I carried a H&R 929 as a car gun I could toss in the lake if used in Chicago in the 80's. I would pitch the ammo every 2 months and put in fresh. That was even after sealing between the case and bullet with finger nail polish.

Personal choice but I carry in condition 1 or 2 and I have no reservations. In this current detail I am carrying in condition 2 with a pocket holster. Sometimes when I carry this weapon I do use condition 1 but I don't like to place too much trust in this small guns safety. When I do carry this weapon in condition 1 I use a inside the belt holster in the one o'clock position. Like I said I would try to only carry this gun when my PPK/S is not allowed by the specifics of the detail! The High Standard 22 Mag derringer really pains me to shot it, I think due to the grips. The Walther is much more comfortable to shoot, even in 380 ACP.

One thing I realized early is when carrying any handgun, but especially this small gun, is getting it into play ASAP. And like I said earlier keep it clean and practice allot.

Last edited:
Before anyone here brands the little .25 as "useless', go back into the newsgroup Rec.Guns and look for a series of posts by a guy who posted under 'Flimflam'. He worked in a pawnshop in FL and defended himself successfully against a sword-weilding attacker at contact distance, drawing a .25 auto from his back pocket, and shot the attacker in the eye.

A mousegun isn't the perfect, but it CAN do the trick.

I am sure this will draw some criticism and possibly even a few flames, but I personally would never carry anything less than a .38special for a mouse gun. They can be had in some very small packages, not much bigger that the .25's & .32's in some of the pictures here. Keep in mind this is only my opinion but it is substantiated by some of the police reports I have read & experiences I have had shooting them. I personally carry the new Kel-Tec PF-9 in 9mm. If I were concerned with having my semi-auto jam then I would carry my Ruger SP-101.

My personnal preference is the NAA .380 not the NAA .32cal. Test results indicate the 32 has much more recoil than the 380. I don't know I have never fired the 32 but the 380 is a nice reliable, fairly cheap backup gun. I have had no problems what so ever with mine so far with about four hundred rounds thru it. One concern of many people is that it is heavier then the Kel Tec and Ruger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back