LIVE from the Stand!

Not knocking bow hunting in any way, but a similar instance is why I put the sticks and strings down. Shot a doe and lost the blood trail after a long, long track. The deer was found about 1000 yards from where I lost the trail. One lung had been run throughat a steep angle and the arrow exited out of the bottom of the chest. I loved shooting the bow but cannot abide by lost game or wounding one to suffer a long slow death. This is 100% why I rely on the high shoulder shot, its quick, clean and results in immediate put down.

Sorry that you lost this one but it does happen more often than we want with some of these types of weapons.

hopefully it will survive I guess that's the best hope at this point.

I killed a buck a few years back (rifle season) that had a large keloid (mass of scar tissue) hanging off the left side of his chest and a three pointed star scar on the right side of his upper chest. Deer are tough.

Your map shows you not far from Cornell's radiation lab - I bet you will bucks with ENORMOUS racks in different colors and sizes fairly soon!

I thought I was the only moron in the woods with my DROID! Good to have company, and isn't it weird the places we can get reception??? Going to video some deer processing once one is down, and post it during the hike back in.

Sorry that you lost this one but it does happen more often than we want with some of these types of weapons.

I don't want this to become the topic of this thread but I have personally injured more deer with a gun than I have with a bow. The percentages are probably about the same (about 10% I'd say) but the numbers are higher with the gun.

But, let's have a new thread on that topic if someone wants to discuss it further.

I'd like to keep this one "LIVE from the stand" :)

This is like facebook for hunters lol. I always take my android deviceout with me so I can prove to the wife what I was a doing.

Busted is right. Smart ole girl there.

We have one old doe like that. She'll come in an peek over the back of another one and look straight at the stand, then back off for a while. When she comes back in she'll keep moving, sometimes picking up a cobb of corn and walking off into the woods with it. I've taken my doe allotment for the club this season but if I get another shot at her I'm shooting and might take Mrs. Einstein to the the taxidermist.

How many of you take your phone into the stand with you? Obviously some do, I leave mine in the truck. That's my get away from all of the stresses of every day and a solid week of being on the phone or in the office.

I take it out in case of emergency or to snap a cool picture, or to surf the web(pigs work the graveyard-graveyard shift here) or to occasionally use the gps.

How many of you take your phone into the stand with you? Obviously some do, I leave mine in the truck. That's my get away from all of the stresses of every day and a solid week of being on the phone or in the office.

I take it in with me because I use it to communicate and even track the location of my hunting party.
Plus, it's fun to get pictures of deer that I'm not shooting and if I get bored I can surf the net.
I can certainly live without 24hr web access, but my phone serves as my GPS, two way radio and, God forbid, emergency communication.

I take it in with me because I use it to communicate and even track the location of my hunting party.
Plus, it's fun to get pictures of deer that I'm not shooting and if I get bored I can surf the net.
I can certainly live without 24hr web access, but my phone serves as my GPS, two way radio and, God forbid, emergency communication.

In areas where my phone works, I keep it on me.
In areas where I might be able to just get an emergency signal out, should the unthinkable happen... I keep it on me (in "airplane mode").

However, most of the areas I hunt require a drive to get to a signal. In those places, it stays in the truck (or in camp). If we're in the mountains for a longer hunt (5-9 days), we'll drive out far enough to get a signal every few days, to update the family. Most years, that's 6-8 miles on "jeep trails", and 45 minutes to 2 hours, each way (depending on road conditions).

This year, we were in a different area for our Elk, hunt, though. It's a muddy, rocky, 13 mile drive, to get a single network roaming signal, that will barely get a text message out (and, often, isn't enough to receive a text message). It's another 28 miles to get a digital signal, or a roaming signal capable of a voice call (depending on your carrier).

I'd love to do the "Live from the Stand" type of approach. ...but mine would have a 48 to 72 hour delay. ;)

^^^^
Ah... Wilderness. I have heard of such things.

My hunting is rarely farther than a few hundred yards from a paved road and an awful lot of it is well within sight of a commercial airport. I can easily be lulled to sleep by traffic and aircraft. :(

On the other hand, the deer are a virtual infestation, so it has it's benefits too.

Like this thread.........

Sense Louann and I are CHEAP!!!......we have the most basic PREPAID trac-phones we can get. We do carry them to the woods but often find that we are out of range of a tower.

For pictures we carry a camera.

Have a GPS but only use it occasionally.

Made the mistake of teaching her to use a compas.......now I can't even lose her in the woods.

For those of you with the technology.......keep posting.

Most of my posts come from my phone, which leads to some misunderstandings, but I work in more remote areas than I hunt and still get a good signal

Back