LIVE! From the Stand, Season 3!!!

No luck today , by the time it was light enough to see they were all gone. I Had great luck last week in Wyoming , bagged a nice 4x5 mulie . took him at 315 yards with a 280 mauser that I put together myself. We drove 2000 miles to hunt for 30 minutes .

Glad this thread is back it's one of my favorites. Season starts here 2 weeks from today and looks like I'll get to be live from the stand this year too since I went out and got one of them new fangled smart phones. I'll have to try a test run when I do some tree rat hunting before deer season opens.

Stu

Our season comes in on the 9th of November. One week from yesterday. I have tons of pictures on my deer camera. Halloween night we had a storm come thru with 50 mile per hour winds. My hunting partner went there on Saturday to see if my hunting shack that was put up in August was still standing. It was, they laughed at me when I braced it in so many places, sure glad I did. I can't wait to get there to have fun with the friends and family. If I get a deer while I'm at it, as they say----- Priceless !

Ok. Back on our little 100 acre lease, the only place I know where the deer reliably come from one direction, east.

We've got a ESE wind so it should be perfect.

Rough season so far... has me hoping to SEE a deer, say nothing of shoot one.

5a6urabu.jpg

Ok. Back on our little 100 acre lease, the only place I know where the deer reliably come from one direction, east.

We've got a ESE wind so it should be perfect.

Rough season so far... has me hoping to SEE a deer, say nothing of shoot one.

5a6urabu.jpg

How's your guys deer population over there? Just curious.

I've been spoiled my whole life with Ohio's fairly good management of our herd.

It's interesting to know what others experiences are from state to state.

Skunked again :(

Our deer population is compartmentalized. In general, NYs deer "management" is and has been a dismal failure. The zones that dictate antler less permit use are much too large. They'll hand out almost unlimited permits in a zone because one end of the zone is literally infested to the point where trees can't grow before they're eaten but the other end has so few deer that seeing on is considered a success.

Unfortunately, most hunters are too greedy (or uneducated) to know/care how to help the population and they'll take every permit they can get and shoot every deer they see and then complain that there aren't any.

Areas near Ithaca/Cornell/Cayuga Heights/Lansing where we hunt have lots of deer. Although that's where our lease is and that's not working out so well.

This has been a strange and frustrating year.

Skunked again :(

Our deer population is compartmentalized. In general, NYs deer "management" is and has been a dismal failure. The zones that dictate antler less permit use are much too large. They'll hand out almost unlimited permits in a zone because one end of the zone is literally infested to the point where trees can't grow before they're eaten but the other end has so few deer that seeing on is considered a success.

Unfortunately, most hunters are too greedy (or uneducated) to know/care how to help the population and they'll take every permit they can get and shoot every deer they see and then complain that there aren't any.

Areas near Ithaca/Cornell/Cayuga Heights/Lansing where we hunt have lots of deer. Although that's where our lease is and that's not working out so well.

This has been a strange and frustrating year.

Interesting. While I would say Ohio is a pretty good success, considering hunter demographics and the overall diversity of terrain. The DNR had an epic failure in Fayette County down south of us. They grouped that county in with larger permit counties and all but wiped the herd out. I have some friends that hunted there and they said with the yote population compounded with liberal permits it created a mess.

That being said, Fayette county is more the exception than the norm. We have a pretty good, stable herd here and I'd give the ODNR good grades for what they've done.

Especially looking at the wild turkey population which has exploded in the last 10 years.

I always find it interesting to talk to other ppl and understand how just the management or lack thereof can have drastic effects on the quality of the herd.

Our turkey population has exploded too but I think it's habitat and relative lack of hunters more than anything. The real problem now is the coyotes. They are absolutely out of control.

Somebody should do sumthin' 'bout that ......

Be Somebody.

I'd like to but I have neither the time nor equipment, say nothing of access to enough (or appropriate) land, besides that most of these places are 30+ miles from my home.

I know of some guys that hunt with dogs. I'm hoping to get them going over there.

I'd like to but I have neither the time nor equipment, say nothing of access to enough (or appropriate) land, besides that most of these places are 30+ miles from my home.

You have a rifle, right?
A predator call is a few bucks for the kind you blow into.
You make time to drive 30 miles to deer hunt.
coyote huntin' is just as much, or more fun than deer huntin'
I think jimbob has a good idea. Primos calls used to come with a DVD that taught you to use it. You should try it, after deer season, of course.

Our turkey population has exploded too but I think it's habitat and relative lack of hunters more than anything. The real problem now is the coyotes. They are absolutely out of control.

We had a terrible coyote problem last year at our place... We ended up only killing two (male and female) back in June, haven't heard any since... I'm not foolish enough to think they're gone, but we used to hear them every night as the sun set when we were bowhunting.

When time is of the essence...bait em.

The neighbor and I have been using some sort of left-over or older (freezer-burned) meat for bait that seems to have worked well for getting the yotes into an area for extermination. Seems to help in bringing them in or helping to centralize them for extermination.

I had another yote showing up here in the yard again about 1 1/2mos. ago. He met his demise over some irresistible left-over BBQ chicken wings that were placed in a gal. bucket. Bucket was hanged from a tree limb by a rope just high enough to keep the coons out.

Check your local 'baiting' laws.

We have no baiting laws for coyotes. My uncle pretty well exterminated the pack around his house by using deer carcasses and a motion sensor. Works great, no waiting. Just hear the "ding-dong", grab the gun and go blast the vermin. Night vision helps too.

Honestly, "real" coyote hunting carries almost no interest for me. I'll find a way to do it if it comes to that but I'd much rather let somebody who WANTS to do it, do it.

When time is of the essence...bait em.

The neighbor and I have been using some sort of left-over or older (freezer-burned) meat for bait that seems to have worked well for getting the yotes into an area for extermination. Seems to help in bringing them in or helping to centralize them for extermination.

When you take a deer, drag it to a wide open area to field dress it .... gut pile becomes bait pile ...... after you process the deer, dump your bonebox on the gut pile ..... 'yotes will get in the habit of foraging in that location ..... which is the killzone of your ambush .....

We had a terrible coyote problem last year at our place... We ended up only killing two (male and female) back in June, haven't heard any since... I'm not foolish enough to think they're gone, but we used to hear them every night as the sun set when we were bowhunting.

You likely did not get them all ..... but coyotes are smart - the ones left may have learned "noisy" = "dead" .... or the survivors may have learned that your location is dangerous ..... and moved on.

Honestly, "real" coyote hunting carries almost no interest for me.

It is not as rewarding as deer hunting- no sausage- ..... depending upon the fur market, a coyote can be worth the price of a box of premium bullets, or nothing at all ..... I remember as a kid when my uncle got over 100 dollars for a white coyote .... and that was when 100 bucks would darn near buy a used hunting rifle .....

It is exciting calling them, though they don't answer the way turkeys do.

Last edited:
Yes, deer gut piles work well for yotes too. Don't know if DNR would consider it baiting or not.

I'm not really interested in hunting yotes either, but a couple years ago, we just had to do something as they were taking over. Killed 5 in the yard. Found and destroyed several dens within about a 200 acre surrounding.

Problem is, we kinda slacked off on em and as was said in the scary movie "they're baaack".

The one I shot a while back, has been hanging out here awhile. Her ears were very dark and I'd seen her skirting the yard at first light about once a week. Saw her up in the yard a couple times under the apple trees sniffing were the deer come up and feed. Was just never ready for her when I'd see her.

Hung the chicken out one morning about 0430 and killed her at about 0645 the same morning. She had actually stood on her hind legs a couple times hitting the bucket tryin to get to the chicken.

Another time, the neighbor butchered one of his hogs. We took the waste out and put into two piles at different locations where we saw a lot of scat. Killed two yotes off of one pile during the day and nothing off the other. Neighbors trail cam showed activity during the night at the unfruitful pile but we didn't hunt at night, just morning and evening.

Can also say with proof of nothing more then field experience that IMO, during turkey season, there are days gobblers just will not answer a call and I believe some of those days are when an area has yotes around that are chasing to the sound of turkeys. I believe once a few turkeys sound off in the morning and are stalked by a yote, if the turkey(s) see the yote, they go silent.
Had this happen with a bird that was talking a lot with me last Spring. He was on the ground and although I could not see him I knew he was headed my way. I watched a yote cross over the next ridge and was sneaky snaking towards the gobbler. Yote disappeared into thickets about 60yds from where the bird was at. No more callin out of that bird or any other the rest of the morning. :mad:

Again, no proof other then what I have experienced while turkey hunting and seeing yotes in the areas I've hunted.

Interestingly, I've never seen a gut pile touched. Carcasses work great but I've seen gut piles sit in woods with high coyote populations until they just rot away. Weeks and weeks later. I'm sure they sometimes work but I've been surprised to see them sitting around until they rot, every time I'm aware of.

Interestingly, I've never seen a gut pile touched. Carcasses work great but I've seen gut piles sit in woods with high coyote populations until they just rot away. Weeks and weeks later.

Your coyotes have eaten all your 'possums.

Your coyotes have eaten all your 'possums

Along with the coons and buzzards.

Gut piles around this neck of the woods don't go to waste.

Course, I live in the middle of the woods.

Brian,

FWIW, how's the bear population in your hunting area?
Knowing bear are predators a rapid increase in bear population can affect the deer herd as well.

Last edited:
Maybe. I guess I shouldn't say "never" but I would count the near total lack of interest in gut piles to be the longest standing surprise of my woods experience. I expected them to be gone, I expected crows to find them first, as coyotes spread I figured they'd find them. Nothing seems to touch them. I didn't know possums were supposed to eat them too. Sure, one might disappear occasionally but they mostly sit there until the leaves blow over them or the snow covers them.

Back