Is ammo more available in your area/ prices stabilized or dropping?

If ammo prices seem really high… they Are normal. I don't look at them.

But at least large quantities of >> many chamberings << have been available.......and Late in the afternoon.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell in my area availability isn't much of a concern anymore and prices are still falling. They aren't where I'd like them yet but every week they seem to be dropping a few cents per round.

My local Scheels actually had bulk 9mm and 5.56 for sale. Higher than online prices but at least it was available. Lots of 223 as well. Still no 30-30 win though :(

Scheels was fully stocked today but no 9mm. They removed the buying limits as well. Downside is prices were still expensive. My guess is that because of supply/demand/inflation costs will remain high, otherwise, people will go out and hoard again. Better off buying online

9mm is ~2x the previous price, and that is in-line with prices direct from manufacturers, so I don't blame the retailers. From what little I've seen, 5.56 the same.

.308, 4x the price. I don't get it.

.22LR is pretty much the same as it ever was. Small bump from manufacturer to protect the retail supply chain.

The last time at my local LGS (which is a popular LGS), the only 9mm they had was some off the wall brand in Plastic Bags for $39.00 (50 rds)

These reports from that come in from somewhere in the US are like reports of Big Foot sighting. Even if some place in some part of the US gets a shipment in, really means nothing.
And I do believe Demographics play a major role. Some place like Wyoming is Not the same place as Chicago or Baltimore. Crime is RISING in many areas. Most people get the fact that defunding the Police means more crime. And hence more desire to protect themselves and family.
This is the Summer Dog Days. Ranges are slow in a Normal year. Come Fall, then we will be back to the same crap.

I buy primarily from my local WalMarts, and Adventure Outdoors - which claims to be "the biggest gun store in the country", and happens to be 20min away...

Although, I've bought more from CCI direct online, and a couple of other reputable online vendors, in the past 9 months or so - as .22LR dried up locally, and my daughter and I needed it for competition.

I just quit shooting 9mm/5.56/.308 in the interim. AO has plenty of 9mm but as I said above, not at a price I'm willing to pay - and it's not their fault. The manufacturers prices are more than double as well.

im on vaca and decided to visit my LGS during the week the store was empty as far as customers. Have not been to a LGS in over a year. 9mm range ammo is $24.99 / 50 and up . Inventory is poor. I saw 9mm, .40 , 357 mag , .380 , 22LR (22LR great supply / $10 /100) . Mixed rifle calibers very limited inventory , good supply 0f .223 , poor supply of .308 . .308 155 gr FGMM was $36.99 / 20 .

Reloading powder was very poor, only the more oddball powders available. NO primers . decent supply of Lyman dies in all the popular calibers. Berrys reloading bullets in excellent supply.

I wonder if ammo companies will start cranking out more hunting rounds now that deer season is around the corner. Saw .270 win and 30.06 but very little else at the store

The more positive news:

Public Surveys about the “Defund Da Police” mantra… indicate that it has Backfired, due to the huge surges in urban crime.

Even large city politicians and Council members are begging for more police funding.

This news will —eventually—
reach most gun owners (maybe most on TFL;), and AKfiles :D ?!). Maybe….therefore, creating less demand for ammo and guns.

I dunno. The higher cost of ammo is doing a good job of keeping demand down. I suspect most gun owners are quietly hoping prices will go down. I don’t think this will happen anytime soon imo. I just bought 100 of 9mm jhp’s — first time in many months. I’d prefer buying in bulk but at current prices it’s a little too rich for my blood

I can get just about any caliber I need but there are limits & it's too expensive for me to buy right now. The good thing is powder & primers are starting to stock up, they are also expensive but if I play it right I may be able to swap brass for some.

The shelves seem to be loaded down with ammo now but prices are still high and there are purchase limits. It's almost to the level where I'll start nibbling here and there and taking bigger bites as it continues to fall, if it continues to fall.

After my close observations living through the past Sandy Hook panic, i'm taking an educated guess we will see normal supplies in another 14 months pending continued lower overall political atmosphere. If there's even a whisper of something anti-gun all bets are off and we go backwards.

I was wandering around the local Cabela's (Farmington UT) yesterday and they had several shelves of ammo. I saw 45 acp, 9mm, 38 sp, 22lr, 22 mag, 5.56, 270, and other stuff. I did not take any pictures figuring most of us know what a box of ammo looks like. I didn't need anything but picked up 2 boxes of 22 mag. I think they limited it to 250 rounds for each purchase. It seems to be getting better.
The only price I am sure of was $32. for a box of 45acp.

Supply is increasing around here but prices are still insane.
Our local Murdoch's has a shelf full but still some calibers missing... however, they only have SD 9mm, lowest price is about $27/25 rounds. They have "bulk" 9mm but it's Norma and is $500 "on sale", for 1,000 rounds.

In the Phoenix area supply has increased (9mm, 40 S&W and .45). .380 is still hard to find. Prices have also increased with intermittent purchase restrictions of two boxes.

I went by a local Cabelas here in NC yesterday and nearly cried. There was one aisle that had ammo, however all the ammo that was there could be consolidated in one small display shelf. There was no pistol ammo in the entire store. Zero powder, zero primers, however there was a decent selection of BP substitutes. I asked the guy at the gun counter about pistol ammo and he said it’s gone in a day once they get any inventory. Even obscure calibers, though they rarely get any of that these days.

I also meandered the reloading area. What was once 4 aisles or so of presses, dies, measuring instruments, case cleaners, case prep tools, and components... it’s now 1 aisle with relatively obscure items, a slew of case cleaners and lube, one small display of dies (need dies for 6.5 creed more or 7mm-08 and you’re set though!), and maybe a handful of boxes of extreme bullets for pistol. No casting equipment. No presses. Literally half the reloading aisle was various case cleaners, lube, and cleaning media.

If there is a small silver lining, it looks like the current administration (who is of the party who champions gun control) has enough dumpster fires burning right now that the mid terms are shaping up to... well not be kind to the current party in power. Long time members of that same party also know that gun control is a hot button issue among voters, with GC rarely getting 50% support even with loaded polling questions and immediately after a major mass shooting. We are beginning to see less noise about GC, defund the police, federal legislation that would essentially enshrine vote by mail forever. Even “the squad,” who are at the left fringe of the party, have quieted some. All this to say, I don’t foresee any major GC legislation being introduced any time soon. So that should appease at least some of the demand based on political fears. Riots have also begun to settle, until the next critical incident, so the fear of civil unrest that existed this time last year has also eased some. That should also temper demand, at least some.

Still, I don’t see this getting much better until production capacity is increased. How many new gun owners have we had in the last 2 years? I think that’s a huge driver of this.

Getting better... Bwaaa haaa ha ha!!

Biden just banned russian ammo: 40 to 45% of the ammunition sold in the US is Russian!!!

Get ready to see prices jump up to where they have never been before.
Only the rich are going to be able to afford shooting, now.

Back