If you won a contest, what gun would you choose?

stephen426 - -

An apt question, and happily, one I can answer off the top of my head.

US Submachine Gun M3 - - Dubbed the "Grease Gun" from a real similarity to the auto garage tool from the olden days prior to sealed bearings.

Both the US and Britian were inspired by the German MP38 and MP40 machine pistols, and it took a long time to manufacture a Thompson SMG. Britian went with the Sten (Shephard + Turpin + ENfield, which is worthy of a lengthy entry in its own right. The US originated the M3. Both made extensive use of sheet metal stampings and screw machines, with milling only on the bolt.

The M3 (and later M3A1) were mostly manufactured by the Guide Lamp Division of GeneralMotors, a plant with lots of expreience in metalstampings. They were cal. .45 ACP (though easily converted to 9mm, by substitution of the bolt, barrel, and magazine) and all had collapsible wire stocks. They used a heavy 30 round magazine and had a rather slow rate of fire - - around 400 -- 450 rpunds per minute. The M3 had a crank-like handle on the right side to retract the bolt, while the M3A1 simply provided a finger hole in the bolt. The "safety" was the ejection port cover which locked the bolt in place.

By the end of WWII, the M1A1 Thompson SMG was totally out of production, supplanted by the M3A1, though some TSMGs remained in US service into the Korean war.
attachment.php

M3A1, from ca. 1944.
Both the M3 and M3A1 were usually seen without the flash hider.

Best,
Johnny

Nice history lesson Johnny . The WWII smg's are too cool :cool:

I didn't win a contest , but I am waiting on my transfer to clear on a Guide Lamp M3 . She's a sweety ! I'll post some pics in about 3-4 months :( :D
There's no way it should take that long to transfer ! They have a photo and print cards .

I've owned the MP40 and Reising smgs . Just have an M1 Savage from 1942 left . I've wanted a Grease Gun for years ! Found a deal :)

I friend of mine was driver in an Abrams in the first Gulf War . He said they had a Grease Gun in their tank .

Thanks Johnny. I'd still think the M3 from BMW is better although having a full auto M3 grease gun could allow you to easily jack one (hell, you could jack a Ferrari or Lambo for that matter!). Thanks for the history lesson.

my first choice is a MG42/59 in 7,62x51 that have the advantage to use the NATO links...
the second is a good BREN in 7,62x51
for the SMg MAB 38 and or in semiauto a BT 96..
for a rifle M16A2 or old good FAL BM 59 italalpini..

Last edited:
I'd probbaly go for an M-16a2 or an M-14a1.

I've shot both in their semiautomatic varieties and they were both great fun.

I also recently shot an M-17 Bullpup and thought it was a great rifle. Some random guy at the range let me pop off 30 rounds with his after i asked what the rifle was. He was really cool, i didn't ask to shoot it... he simply offered.

Definately something i wasn't going to pass up.

dont know what it is but the huge truck mounted full auto belt fed at the beginning of the movie "tremors 3", or the em guns from "eraser" (not sure if they were full auto though?)

If it were at all legal, a P90. (How are they worthless?)

Since they're not...a Bizon in 9mm?

That would be FUN to trick out...get a more comfortable grip, mod in a collimator sight, replace the stock with something sturdier...

Hmm...

...a modified G43 with a muzzle brake, scope, and a modern stock with adjustable pull and cheekrest?

I think I'll stand by my Bizon or P90 statements, though.

Back