How many of you sleep with a loaded gun ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have 2 night stands on both sides of my bed they have a variety of handguns on them. Colt 1911,Ruger gp100 6" glock 17 with 33rounder. ect ect. and thats just the handguns ha ha

My carry gun gets tucked between mattress and box springs at night. Nice and close and easy to get to in a hurry, but out of the way so I don't have to worry about bumpin it while asleep.

I would not have a loaded gun within reach while sleeping. I would prefer to have it in a quick opening safe, or similar set-up.

Every once in a while I find myself waking from a dream and already moving. I wouldn't want to risk having a loaded firearm within reach, without some layer of security between a bad dream and a bad day...

It was around the end of November 1950, we were about 40 miles south of the Yalu River at the time. The battalion was in reserve, so we weren’t on the front line. It was cold and we had a few bonfires going. We had some roving guards pulling security for us. During the night, one of our sergeants got up to ****. He spotted a group of short horses and men passing through our area. He knew that wasn’t right and he jumped up on our mess truck which had a ring mounted .50 on it. He opened up on the group of Chinese and the horses. After he started shooting it was utter chaos. I was asleep in my sleeping bag, but when I heard the first shot I opened my eyes. Standing directly over the top of me was a Chinese soldier with a Russian submachine gun. He was kicking my rifle away from my side. I cocked the pistol and fired at him through the sleeping bag three or four times. After the first shot I couldn’t see because feathers were flying everywhere. I only hit him one time, in the head, I’m not sure if it was the first shot or the second, third or fourth. The round knocked him over. My sleeping bag was ruined; it had a big 15-inch gash in it. The next day I discovered that the slide of the pistol had left marks on my chest. It’s amazing that the pistol functioned in the bag like that.

Since I don't have any kids I modified a nylon holster to fit inbetween my mattress, and headboard. It was a cheapy walmart one with a spare mag pouch. I use the spare mag pouch for a small flashlight, and it always has my P2000 with 12+1 .40 :rolleyes: hammer back. I love it because you can be in my room, look for it and still can't find it. The way I sleep my fingers literally rest on top of it. I also do not believe someone would be able to get into my bedroom without my 100lbs golden retriever waking me.

I haven't had a cigarette in a couple or three years now, but the nicotine/lifestyle addiction has had a 50+ year head start. I still, on occasion, dream about smoking. Some of the dreams are kinda vivid. I don't wake with the engine warmed up, all cylinders firing, and hit the deck running thrse days.

Our house guns are either DAO/striker Kahrs or revolvers. They can not be reached w/o me standing up and taking a step or two. My bride does not have this limitation. A 747 could land on the roof, and she might mumble something about the racket. Let one of the Grand-Kids cough, and she is wide awake. Mars and Venus I guess.

Motel 6, Red Roof, HJ, and the like are a bit different. Tritium Night Sights on the night stand or across the room, offer a sense of place and orientation when you wake to something that goes 'bump' at 0300 in the parking lot or hallway.

Since metal keys granting unlimited, (at least 'till the lock was changed) ,access to your rented room aren't common these days, solid core doors, and cell phones are, such thinking may not be necessary. I don't know.

Unless I'm in a sleeping bag or some such place, it'd be foolish for me to sleep with a pistol in hand. It has happened, but less frequently these days.

Sorry for the length. Sometime there is too much unsaid and its hard to stop.

My bad,

salty

Last edited:
It was around the end of November 1950, we were about 40 miles south of the Yalu River at the time. The battalion was in reserve, so we weren’t on the front line. It was cold and we had a few bonfires going. We had some roving guards pulling security for us. During the night, one of our sergeants got up to ****. He spotted a group of short horses and men passing through our area. He knew that wasn’t right and he jumped up on our mess truck which had a ring mounted .50 on it. He opened up on the group of Chinese and the horses. After he started shooting it was utter chaos. I was asleep in my sleeping bag, but when I heard the first shot I opened my eyes. Standing directly over the top of me was a Chinese soldier with a Russian submachine gun. He was kicking my rifle away from my side. I cocked the pistol and fired at him through the sleeping bag three or four times. After the first shot I couldn’t see because feathers were flying everywhere. I only hit him one time, in the head, I’m not sure if it was the first shot or the second, third or fourth. The round knocked him over. My sleeping bag was ruined; it had a big 15-inch gash in it. The next day I discovered that the slide of the pistol had left marks on my chest. It’s amazing that the pistol functioned in the bag like that.

Cool story!!!

I have 2 kids aged 3 and 5 that still often crawl in to bed with me, and my son in particular likes guns. He's such a little boy! He knows to never touch Daddy's "fire guns" and he only plays with water guns, but he also knows not to sneak cookies, but he does that. I have to keep them in the vault on my days, but on the 2 days a week that they stay at my ex-wife's, I keep my main pistol on the night stand. As a reflex, when I hear a noise, car alarm, screaming, etc. I'm awake with it in hand. It heightens my sense of security. Incidentally Hogdog, it rests right next to the same model Mustang Shelby GT!

I always place my clothes and weapons so that I can find them in the dark. A side benefit of nite sites is being able to spot it in the dark. I have a 1911 within reach but not in bed. My 870 is close, my AR is in the room. The dog will give me advance warning. I sleep light and come fully awake quickly.

My Wife made me quit bringing the AR under the covers with us (sic) :D

So you really do heed the advice of Lazarus Long, Edward? LOL

This thread made me think about the clothes part really. I should have clothes near me in the dark while I'm sleeping. Having been beat nekid by a roommate years ago was awful :( I didn't need a gun, but clothes would've been nice.

And nobody PM me about nekid or how I sleep or anything like that. Just pretend I'm a guy, then picture me nekid and that should deter you. Seriously, treat the ladies with respect or we will go away.

This thread made me think about the clothes part really.

...also a good idea to keep your general walking area free of obstructions (clothing) at night. I just thought about that this morning; as I get up in the wee early hours of the morning, tripping over stuff in the dark is not fun!!!!

Clothes, not a bad idea

Clothes by the bed, not a bad idea. Funny, I always drop my pants by the bed when i get in, sometimes my shirt too (if it's a clean one). I've always thought I was being to lazy to hang them in the closet but it's bed time when I drop them and morning when I pick them up to put on so who cares? Now I realize I'm not lazy, I'm just being well prepared in case I have to grab some pants fast! :D

Fighting Naked

Read something in a novel once about how fighting in general, and gun fighting in specific, is terribly more difficult naked than clothed. But how could you know in advance how you'd react? Say the break-in happens an hour after you make nookie with your spouse/partner and you're still in that state of post-coital connubial bliss, and wearing only your birthday suit?

Maybe the next trendy niche business is nudist combat ranges... Of course, then where would the customers wear their holsters?

Salty, most of you are lovely. Some of you just act like I'm a chic in a bar. And some of you are dangerous. Trying to find some way to exist peacefully on this forum. You'll excuse my awkwardness in figuring out how to do that. Wish I would have picked a genderless name, but being a "girl" doesn't mean I'm open for solicitation. I'm not naming names. Just don't. Enjoy my new signature.

Pgdion, I also agree that clothes on the floor are helpful at times. Lazy other times. Both for me as a result of this thread.

Siggy, I just view you as a female shooter. You feel some people act like youre a chick in a bar, Im sorry. I do not however and welcome you to this forum. What is your pistol of choice by the way? How long have you been shooting and such?
As to fighting naked-- If my life is in danger I could care less. If I had to shoot it out with BG's while naked to protect myself or loved ones, I would. Being naked would be that last thing on my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back