Home Defense Gun: Shotgun vs Lever Action Rifle

In all likelihood I will probably end up getting the Maverick 88 since the price tag of a good rifle in either .44 or .22 mag is at least 2x as much based on what I've seen.

In all likelihood I will probably end up getting the Maverick 88 since the price tag of a good rifle in either .44 or .22 mag is at least 2x as much based on what I've seen.
That is one of the big factors in shotgun vs carbine for HD: Cost.

A used Rem870 Police/Wingmaster will run your lifetime and cost $300-$350. A similarly reliable AR15 will run 2x-3x that. And they almost give away the Mavericks.

MV: If cost is a big deal, don't be afraid of a used HD shotgun. Looks like new Mavericks run as much as used Rem 870 Police/Wingmasters set up for HD:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868385141
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868386459

Leastways that is the case on gunbroker.com today.

Good luck.

That is one of the big factors in shotgun vs carbine for HD: Cost.

A used Rem870 Police/Wingmaster will run your lifetime and cost $300-$350. A similarly reliable AR15 will run 2x-3x that. And they almost give away the Mavericks.

MV: If cost is a big deal, don't be afraid of a used HD shotgun. Looks like new Mavericks run as much as used Rem 870 Police/Wingmasters set up for HD:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868385141

Leastways that is the case on gunbroker.com today.

Good luck.
Thanks, I've had my eye on this for a while but holding off on pulling the trigger since I know this can be easily had less than $200.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/maverick-88-20-8-shot-pump-action-12ga-shotgun-mav31046.html
Problem is they are so scarce now due to panic buying. I could either overpay to have it now or wait it out for that killer deal. Hence, back to my original reason for the thread on whether the 30-30 or 44 will get me through till then.

Thanks, I've had my eye on this for a while but holding off on pulling the trigger since I know this can be easily had less than $200.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/maverick-88-20-8-shot-pump-action-12ga-shotgun-mav31046.html
Problem is they are so scarce now due to panic buying. I could either overpay to have it now or wait it out for that killer deal. Hence, back to my original reason for the thread on whether the 30-30 or 44 will get me through till then.
In that case:
1. Order some .44spl hollow points for your .44mag and keep a hand-held flashlight handy.
2. Order the Rem reduced recoil 125gr .30-30 for your Marlin
3. Buy one of the picatinny-compatible light mounts for the Marlin
4. Buy a tac light, suggest TLR-1 or similar Streamlight to mount on the Marlin
5. Hit the range with both to make sure it all works.

Then wait for the panic to subside and buy a HD shotgun later. You are plenty well-armed for HD as it is, it is just that a HD shotgun is a bit more optimal. And the panic has not hit things like hunting ammo and accessories as hard as handguns, SD long guns, and ammo for them both. And the TLR-1 will work great for a HD shotgun, too. I have 2 in that role, one 10+ years old.

Good luck.

In that case:
1. Order some .44spl hollow points for your .44mag and keep a hand-held flashlight handy.
2. Order the Rem reduced recoil 125gr .30-30 for your Marlin
3. Buy one of the picatinny-compatible light mounts for the Marlin
4. Buy a tac light, suggest TLR-1 or similar Streamlight to mount on the Marlin
5. Hit the range with both to make sure it all works.

Then wait for the panic to subside and buy a HD shotgun later. You are plenty well-armed for HD as it is, it is just that a HD shotgun is a bit more optimal. And the panic has not hit things like hunting ammo and accessories as hard as handguns, SD long guns, and ammo for them both. And the TLR-1 will work great for a HD shotgun, too. I have 2 in that role, one 10+ years old.

Good luck.
Thanks, I'm also looking at a couple Winchester 1300 Defenders on gunbroker still at reasonable prices. Fingers crossed hopefully they won't close too high.

People talk about between apartments. The thing is unless you live in some real ghetto that is not a simple wall between the apartments. Typically it is two walls. Each will have at least 5/8" drywall and some form of sound barrier. Likely they will contain mineral wool batons. Often those walls are made on 2x6's or have steel studs. But there is a gap and some sound barrier between them.

Not just sound, you also have to meet a fire burn through rating. Like I said, not the wall you typically think of.

If I was really afraid of that I would put a less than lethal round up front, like a bean bag round. That would only be in a pump though.

I don't know if anyone here but me has been through a firing of a .357 magnum from a 4 1/2" barrel in a bedroom, without hearing protection. I had an accidental discharge of a .357 magnum in a 4 5/8" barreled Ruger single-action in my 9'x10' bedroom when I was about 18 years old.

There was instant shock, followed by complete deafening for about 10 minutes, then ringing in the ears for a couple of days. Fortunately, I was about 3 feet away from a completely open, but screened, double-hung window.

I don't recommend anyone trying it at home. Nor do I recommend twirling and flipping a fully-loaded .357 magnum Ruger single-action.

That lesson worked, however, since I haven't had any accidental discharges since, nor have I tried fancy twirling, etc. In fact, I don't even own a single-action revolver (though had a couple .44 mags when shooting IHMSA Metallic Silhouette).

That said, I keep revolvers loaded in the bedroom with a couple of non-magnum rounds, followed by 4 magnums.

I don't know if anyone here but me has been through a firing of a .357 magnum from a 4 1/2" barrel in a bedroom, without hearing protection. I had an accidental discharge of a .357 magnum in a 4 5/8" barreled Ruger single-action in my 9'x10' bedroom when I was about 18 years old.

There was instant shock, followed by complete deafening for about 10 minutes, then ringing in the ears for a couple of days. Fortunately, I was about 3 feet away from a completely open, but screened, double-hung window.

I don't recommend anyone trying it at home. Nor do I recommend twirling and flipping a fully-loaded .357 magnum Ruger single-action.

That lesson worked, however, since I haven't had any accidental discharges since, nor have I tried fancy twirling, etc. In fact, I don't even own a single-action revolver (though had a couple .44 mags when shooting IHMSA Metallic Silhouette).

That said, I keep revolvers loaded in the bedroom with a couple of non-magnum rounds, followed by 4 magnums.
I think that is the best reason for the answer: "Caldwell electronic muffs", when asked on what we keep next to the bed for protection...

Better "having it" readily you think?
My son (3 y.o.) recently was "playing" with my Viking safe. you know the ones like these with biometric fingerprints. The wife got mad as hell.
You never know what can go wrong, so the gun under the pillow is a no for me
It's not unusual for me to have a gun close by. When the boy was very little, anything that was out would have been impossible for him to operate. The wife still has trouble racking a 1911.

That's not ideal either, but worst case. From when he was little, we drilled it into him that he wasn't to touch without permission. From time to time, he'd ask, and I'd pick it up, prove it, control the muzzle, and let him. Didn't want to turn it into the forbidden fruit.

Just heard of rubber bullets and did a search for 30-30. Here's what I found, thoughts?
https://www.conceptsinammunition.com/Rifle_Products/3030.htm
I wouldn't want to count on less lethal ammo. If you handload, I'd do up some 100-110 gr. varmint bullets for the 30-30 if that's the direction you want to go.

Or pick up a nice used shotgun. Stock might be a little short in the stores, but I think there must be some deals to be had on an older gun.

On another forum, we had a discussion on the preferred ammo for shotgun home defense, and we nearly agreed unanimously that #4 buck was THE choice.

I wouldn't want to count on less lethal ammo. If you handload, I'd do up some 100-110 gr. varmint bullets for the 30-30 if that's the direction you want to go.

Or pick up a nice used shotgun. Stock might be a little short in the stores, but I think there must be some deals to be had on an older gun.

On another forum, we had a discussion on the preferred ammo for shotgun home defense, and we nearly agreed unanimously that #4 buck was THE choice.
Maybe not totally, but at least having the first two rounds less lethal could make a better legal argument in court to using the lethal ammo if they failed to stop the threat. Hypothetically, even if fully loaded with less lethal, a well aimed head shot could very well be lethal and argued that since fired under stress was not my intended target.

Maybe not totally, but at least having the first two rounds less lethal could make a better legal argument in court to using the lethal ammo if they failed to stop the threat. Hypothetically, even if fully loaded with less lethal, a well aimed head shot could very well be lethal and argued that since fired under stress was not my intended target.
JMHO, but I think the shotgun is the way to go for a LL vehicle. You can make your own ammo for it too. Rock salt, maybe wax, melt rubber into an empty sabot. More impact from a big projectile. A break open is nice for this, but getting a Lee loader or using a MEC press for recrimping so you can use a pump, is a better option.

An interesting thing I found, is that a paintball gun with kind of a hand coated marble projectile would be a heck of thing to be hit by. A marble travelling at probably about 300 fps rips about halfway through a thick Sears Christmas catalogue. You can get pepper balls too, and with select fire, you could really disperse (and probably leave a few lying there, moaning) a small crowd.

JMHO, but I think the shotgun is the way to go for a LL vehicle. You can make your own ammo for it too. Rock salt, maybe wax, melt rubber into an empty sabot. More impact from a big projectile. A break open is nice for this, but getting a Lee loader or using a MEC press for recrimping so you can use a pump, is a better option.

An interesting thing I found, is that a paintball gun with kind of a hand coated marble projectile would be a heck of thing to be hit by. A marble travelling at probably about 300 fps rips about halfway through a thick Sears Christmas catalogue. You can get pepper balls too, and with select fire, you could really disperse (and probably leave a few lying there, moaning) a small crowd.
I agree, I really like the 410 Henry that Siggy mentioned. 410ga is also such light recoil that my very small in stature wife could use it if she needed to. The company that sells the LL ammo for 30-30 also makes it in 410ga and Hornady makes some wicked defense ammo for it too. My plan is to save up for the Henry and load up the 30-30 with LL in the mean time.

Last edited:
I agree, I really like the 410 Henry that Siggy mentioned. 410ga is also such light recoil that my very small in stature wife could use it if she needed to. The company that sells the LL ammo for 30-30 also makes it in 410ga and Hornady makes some wicked defense ammo for it too. My plan is to save up for the Henry and load up the 30-30 with LL in the mean time.
I bought a 20 gauge Rossi coach gun for my wife. With regular velocity ammo it's pretty tame, but I always have the option of shortening the stock as needed and installing a very cushy recoil pad like Limb Saver, or Decelerator.

But I'd probably feel a bit better if (in my absence) she grabbed my Asena semi auto mag fed 20, or AR, for ease of handling and higher ammo payload on board.

12 gauge pump shotgun has been protecting American homes for 150 years and as far as I can tell, will for another 150 years.
Winchester introduced their first pump action in 1893, 127 years ago. The first Winchester lever action rifle was produced in 1866, 27 years before the first pump came on the scene. The most successful of which was the model 1873 dubbed "The gun that won the west". Since that time it has been counted on to protect many homes and there's a good reason many still trust it today with its proven track record.

Last edited:
Back