Home Defense Gun: Shotgun vs Lever Action Rifle

Okay I was off by 25 years, but the rest of your comment is off. If I had to guess how many shottys vs can openers are propped in the corner of American bedrooms now and in the last 125 years, it’s 10-1 shotguns. And I’d bet a weeks pay on that.

Okay I was off by 25 years, but the rest of your comment is off. If I had to guess how many shottys vs can openers are propped in the corner of American bedrooms now and in the last 125 years, it’s 10-1 shotguns. And I’d bet a weeks pay on that.
27 actually, I revised my comment with some more facts for you. No doubt that the shotgun has become the most popular choice for home defense. It doesn't take nearly as much accuracy so in the hands of the unskilled its still a formidable weapon. I stand by my comment that the lever action has protected a lot more homes since it's introduction, that is more likely than not and I'd bet two paychecks that these "can openers" have killed more people than all the boomsticks the world and you can take that to the bank.

More killed by the military, not private Americans defending their homes, which I believe was the root of the question. Moot point really in that the number I care about is lives saved not lives taken. Hey, I watched “ The Rifleman” too and I have a repro 1886 that I absolutely cherish, but it’s no more complicated to use than a pump, skilled or not. Shotguns as you know are a devastating short range weapon that just fits suburban and urban home defense scenarios better than a weapon firing a rifle round no matter how the action is cycled. I miss, and I’m responsible for wherever that round hits and I like my neighbors for the most part. I’m grabbing my Mossy if trouble comes my way, and that you can take to the bank. I’m not friggen’ John Wick or Chuck Conners. :rolleyes:

More killed by the military, not private Americans defending their homes, which I believe was the root of the question. Moot point really in that the number I care about is lives saved not lives taken. Hey, I watched “ The Rifleman” too and I have a repro 1886 that I absolutely cherish, but it’s no more complicated to use than a pump, skilled or not. Shotguns as you know are a devastating short range weapon that just fits suburban and urban home defense scenarios better than a weapon firing a rifle round no matter how the action is cycled. I miss, and I’m responsible for wherever that round hits and I like my neighbors for the most part. I’m grabbing my Mossy if trouble comes my way, and that you can take to the bank. I’m not friggen’ John Wick or Chuck Conners. :rolleyes:
You are correct sir, that is why I want the best of both worlds with the Henry 410 but I can tell you this if the 30-30 was the closest thing at hand when badguy comes a knockin I'll turn into Chuck Connors real quick :D

I prefer my custom Marlin 1895 guide gun with tactical light versus a shotgun for home self-defense. My 12 gauge tactical shotgun is fine but it's not as quick to swing as the 1895. Over penetration is not a big issue in my opinion for many reasons that I won't elaborate on here. Like with shotgun, shoot a round, load a round.

78f2bd45d4576a792e30dd74acb9b526.jpg

I prefer my custom Marlin 1895 guide gun with tactical light versus a shotgun for home self-defense. My 12 gauge tactical shotgun is fine but it's not as quick to swing as the 1895. Over penetration is not a big issue in my opinion for many reasons that I won't elaborate on here. Like with shotgun, shoot a round, load a round.

78f2bd45d4576a792e30dd74acb9b526.jpg
Very nice, being a guide gun I'll assume 45-70?

Back