flash mobs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. He was bicycling and they jumped him. He was near his apaetments across from valencia. The sam group later robbed and shot a woman on his doorstep with a gun they'd stolen from his car. They were caught but im sure the "bright aspiring youths" are already back on the streets.

My friend tacojohn was mugged by a gang of 14-16 year olds in pine hills. He was told by the police that he was wise not to fight back or he would have been charged with assault on a minor.

I bet even if he did fight back and beat the tar out of those kids and he went to court, the jury would be on his side.

It just seems as I get older that the youth of the world gets more and more violent. I'm only 31 but when I was that age the only stupid criminal stuff I did was steal lawn ornaments, tip over port-a-potties and vandalize. The only violence in my school was a fist fight every once in a while. Nowadays I here about kids killing kids every day on the news. The last time I was robbed was by a young 16-18 year old and he pointed a gun at my face. That's when I decided to get my CCW and a gun... or 3.

I've noticed that a fair amount of posts are sociological blah, blah.

Unless we get back to realistic tactical issues about mobs - it gets closed.

GEM

Fist fighting off more than one 14-16 year old boy, who knows how to fight half way ok, is not quite as easy as we might think. My wife is a middle school teacher and I can promise you that I have to look up to many of them. They are football lineman in the making. Articulating how some of these beasts trying to rob me made me fear for my life will not be hard.

I think that overwhelming force is still overwhelming regardless if it is kids or adults. If it was me I would run and call the cops. However if I seen some folks in the mob in the process of beating someone to death and I was by myself not protecting anyone then I would try and do something.

I do wonder about caoacity in the face of a mob threat. Im a j-frame 357 carrier. My hi-capacity carry guns are my PPS and 1911(mostly winter). Now Im sure one shot would probably clear out the crowd if one is being attacked. But I cant help but wonder about the chance that its an armed mob. Its one remote scenario where I can see needing a doublestack with a reload. Just a thought, bored at work.

30 thugs to 1 man? Teenagers or not, that is a grim outlook. Assuming I have my EDC, I have 16 in the gun and 30 in two spare magazines. That doesn't mean much when there are 60 fists and 60 boots to deal with. If they overwhelm you and they will, and take the gun, expect that the adrenaline in the mob will result in you being shot, kicked, stomped and pummeled, possibly to death - correction, probably to death.

Mobs take on a behavior entirely their own and typically that behavior escalates continually, matching your response and going up from there with a greater response. In the State of Florida I would have no duty to retreat in a situation like that but by all sane accounts it is the correct choice of action. I would not confront a crowd like this. Even the police will not do this without a dozen or more men armed and armored with riot gear.

My number one goal when facing off with a mob would to not be facing off with them at all and getting myself, and my family, as far away as humanely possible and shooting through, pushing through, driving over or whatever other means is required to accomplish this.

My main carry gun when I go to town is my sig p226 and I have 21 rounds in the gun and 60 in 3 mags that I carry with me 61 of them are hornady critical and 20 is el cheapo hollow points for possums and such around the house. I carry enough ammo ( well I consider it enough ) its not lack of bullets I am afraid of its just I couldn't get them all if they rushed me. Depends on how far the mob is I suppose :(

This thread is, well ... - just rambling.

Yeah, if someone was being beaten, I would try to do something.

What does that mean? Have done a lot of FOF, I think that is frankly naive to post.

Ok, here's what I would run in a FOF.

1. Two guys are kicking the crap out of a guy on the ground.
2. They are surrounded by a group cheering them on.
3. You arrive with your EDC - let's say a semi with two hi-cap mags on your belt.

A. You yell at them : They yell back at you (seen this, BTW).
B. NOW what :

1. Open fire?
2. At whom? The yellers? Through the crowd at the beaters?
3. The yellers turn to you and say : Hey, tough guy you going to shoot? Well, grasshopper - what's your legal justification for that?
4. Sure, they will flee in panic from manly you - or maybe not?
5. Going to hose a large group (prison time) - you will only shoot the BGs and not just spectators. Right.
6. Wave your gun around and don't fire? Well, it's multiple Tueller drill time. Think some won't get to you if they aren't so scared of you. Then you are shot. Mobs have taken down lone armed police.
7. Fire in the air - great plan.

So if you say, you gotta do something - think it through. Unless it is a loved one or you are ready for truly severe personal consequences for trying to save this victim - call the law from safety.

If you say you can't live with yourself, that is also internet BS. People have come through personal horror and many can live with themselves now - appropriate therapies can help.

Chad I think it would have to do with where you were when engaging the mob.

Say you are inside the gas station like in one of the mob videos and the mob decides you're next. Hopefully you have some environmental assistance in the form of shelves, displays, etc. Most gas stations have one main door and a back door. I would be trying to get to that back door.

From some of the videos though they very quickly fill and surround the store before the owners or patrons really know whats going on.

If I had to shoot, it would be only against what was between me and leaving. Understanding that once it is known you have a gun and are trying to leave, the mob could focus its entire attention on you. So I would shoot only if I had to and wouldn't harass the mob, especially if I were so far unnoticed, by firing at random thugs. I would simply leave as fast as I could.

Good post Glenn, I agree. In a situation like what you describe I would have to stay hidden if possible and call the police. With a group that large, already committing violence, I am not helping by also being taken under their control and hurt/killed.

Naive maybe so.

If one of my friends where getting beaten to death then ill do whatever it takes to get to them and get them out of there. Naive, legal, illegal, reckless, carefully, rational, irrational, I would help them. Because they would do the same for me. As they say, one ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.

Someone I didn't know then I probably wouldn't do nothing to help them and I could live just fine with myself with that decision.

Location of where I am at does effect my escape route not who I would save.

Glenn you are correct, it is best for our own personal safety to flee and call the cops.

I've ran from folks before. Thats the best plan. A four wheel drive is a great way out of dodge. If they swarm you, just kick it down into four low...

It takes a serious load of testosterone to launch a coordinated attack while unarmed on a man with a firearm who is shooting those ahead of you. In war you are a hero if you do this. On the street I don't know what you are because I have never seen anyone do this. They run. If they don't and you are half decent with your gun you will take a bunch with you.

If they all attack you are in trouble. I just don't believe they will attack in the face of deadly fire.

I don't want to sound like some kind of chest beating testosterone freak here, but it's important to remember that solving Problem One (the gunfight, only when it cannot be avoided, of course) trumps solving Problem Two (the court fight). In other words, a bad day in court is still better than a good day in the morgue or a good couple of months in the hospital.

I'm still firmly in the camp of ADEE (avoid, de-escalate/disengage, escape, evade) if at all possible, but if it's not possible then you have to be prepared to deal with the situation as it's presented to you.

fwiw,

lpl

Threegun, there are clear instances of armed folks not firing on a mob and becoming paralyed. They are then disarmed - and doesn't go well.

Thus, some mobs will attack such and the defender always doesn't come out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back