Fighting dirty?

When I was younger I got into a few physical altercations defending other people. Now I try to avoid them at all costs and defuse the situation or call 911 and let law enforcement handle it if nobody is in imminent danger. I plan ahead to stay out of places where I would be in this situation.

Eghad, my ex got into a potential situation at the changing house at a public beach. Some dirtbag was beating and choking his girlfriend. My ex intervened, all 5'3" of her, in a bikini.

Should she have avoided a public beach, in broad daylight?

Or perhaps she should have just not gotten involved...

As I noted earlier, I had another confrontation outside the Federal building, in view of the front doors, in a downtown area. Another domestic violence case, as it turned out, although at first I thought it was a mugging.

My point is, it's fine to avoid known problem, or even likely problem areas. But if you think that nothing will ever happen because you only go to "nice" areas, you may find yourself getting some nasty surprises.

I believe I said if no imminent danger to a person is involved

I agree that there is no such thing as a safe place anywhere not even your own home. Why I keep my 12 guage handy at home and at least have a means of self defense on my person at all times. You should be aware at all times.

I was deployed overseas to a Muslim Country that was our ally. All I could carry was a pocket knife. I had to go off the post into the population on a regular basis. I sat down and planned my trips to avoid certain areas based on the intelligence and some of the alphabet soup guys advice.

Our local paper has crime maps available. I take a peek at em and plan accordingly if they are between point A and B.

If it is something that law enforcment can handle I let them handle it.

If someone is imminent danger then I will help them out. If I can defuse a situaion verbally I will do that. Force should be the last or only option.

Last edited:
Eghad, those are all sound practices. And it's also good that you realize bad things can happen in nice places, too. Some people seem to think "nice neighborhoods" are magic talismans. (Then again, some seem to think guns are, too.)

You obviously don't fall into that crowd.

Cheers,

M

"The only unfair fight is the one I lose!"
"The only fair fight is the one I win!"

I have ZERO personal morals or rules limiting my self defense!
I am 100% a self preservationist.

I was the tiniest kid in every grade with the exception of a couple girls above 8th grade level. It was scrap or die for me as I was a "Bully Target".

Later in life and having run in a number of colorful circles there were numerous times where big ol' fellas (not all were my personal friends) would warn a possible adversary that "Brent ain't the guy you want to be messin' with..." One buddy once told a guy, "He will feed you your jewels so fast you won't even know what you are eating."

Eyeballs, ears, and any other body parts I can get a hold of can be removed... one way or other...

I am no where near as physically able as I once was and for that I tend to bring implements to bear to assist in my victory.

Brent

Last edited:
I was the tiniest kid in every grade with the exception of a couple girls above 8th grade level. It was scrap or die for me as I was a "Bully Target".

Just the opposite here, I was always the biggest, everyone made fun of me, too tall, too fat, etc till Iput a beating on em. I found that isnt the best way. In high school I often stopped the idiots from getting after some one smaller than they were. I am still friends wit ha few, one is a lawyer for a entire town out west in case he is reading this :)

I was raised up fightin, Dad pitted my brother and I almost every night till first blood was drawn. Then he got us into boxing, wrestling, football all the contact stuff he could get us into. I also bounced at his 2 bars. Been a lot of fights I hate to say. Nothing good ever came from a fight.

I recommend avoiding them. I wont let someone get beat too bad, there is a time to step in.

The way I look at it the best weapon you have is your brain. When I was in high school one of my history teachers told me I had a good brain and I should try using it sometimes. lol

she was right.

What? Touch gloves, and come out fighting, just like the ref says.

Keep it clean. It's not worth risking point deductions or disqualification.

At 63 YO I have taken 5 Gunfighting Courses in the last 18 months. I already have shot IPSC for 19 years and these courses honed my Street Skills even more including how to handle the street before and after shot are fired. I have never had a street brawl and do not intend to get into hand to hand fighting. I do not go to "Stupid Places" with "Stupid People" at "Stupid Times". This gets rid of more than 99% of the issues unless you live in Cabrini Green in Chicago. I am not going to go man on man with some idiot that has an issue with the world. I do not have time to answer questions from street urchins and put up the Fence with them, this usually takes care of them. Those will get a large quantity of die loaded Mace in the face and body if they move to offensive mode. I am always in orange mode when walking on the street and yellow in the car. If there are two who threaten that is a disparity in force and I am permitted to draw, then I will give one verbal loud warning and if they proceed, will shoot the loudest one first with as much as it takes to shut him up and then the next, then repeat as necessary. This is why I carry high capacity guns and very good "Social Ammo". I train to shoot very good and do in close range combat. I go to the range and do street drills every week.

Technically that women who fought her way to her .22 firearm fought dirty. There was/is a thread here about her. From memory she was in her bathroom?Eitherway a fight for your life is just that.

Edit;
Here's the thread with story
Code:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450911

Last edited:
Steviewonder1: I think you made some very good points. That awareness keeps you out of 99% of situations, but sometimes it just happens. Know your limits and use what you have to survive.

Fighting is something children do unless its in the ring. If some one approaches me aggressively then I am defending my life. End of story.

Back