favorite deer cal

8mm Mauser Euro spec or .308.

I would probably have to vote .270 as the ideal North American deer cartridge, but I like guns with a military connection, and .270 is a purely commercial round and only comes in a limited variety of guns (that is, mostly commercial hunting rifles). I'm not someone who only shoots 5 times a year---3 times to sight in and 2 times at deer. I like to shoot.........A LOT. :D

And there is no arguing the effectiveness of the ol' 30-30 when used within its proper range. Not prestigious enough or macho enough for some I suppose, but it works...

the 25-06, 257 Rob, and .243 are my favorite. If I had to take one it's going to be the 25-06 every time. I hunt in the northwest and ocasionally in TX

I haven't actually killed anything with it, but a .50 cal Powerbelt bullet out of a TC Hawken. I look foreward to getting my black powder license soon.

12 gauge slug, 454 Casull with 300gr Hornady XTPs or Cast Performance 395gr lead bullets downloaded a bit. Want to try my 500 Smith one of these days too. If I had a choice of rifles I'd use a 243 or 30-06.

Either the .40 that comes saboted in the Hornady SST 20ga slugs, or the Core-Lokt .30-06 out of my Model 700. Once it's time to put them away and grab the smoke pole, it's the TC Shockwaves.

If I am hunting in the woods (Pa) I will grab my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington. Where longer shots are possible ( out across the fields), My Ruger M77 Mk II chambered in 260 Remington gets the nod.

I'm a .270 man myself, but that's mostly because thats' the chambering of my favorite rifle. I'm smart enough to know that anything from .243 up through (and past really) .30-06 is plenty good for deer. A good rifle and scope (for most of us anyway) and the man behind them are what are really important in my always humble opinion.

No one else like the 'ol 35 Remington? It's my fav in the Hoosier state:)

I do plan on a 45 colt 1860 Henry for next year though.

Deer pistol is a 45 colt
Muzzle loader is a .50 caliber side-lock
I don't do the archery thing. (or shotgun for that matter)

most

For about 20 years, the only "deer" rifle I had was a M88 Win in .308. So..most of my firearm kills wwere with that old heirloom rifle. Then I got the bowhunting bug, and moved to an area that gave opportunity for plenty of same. My rifle kills are not as high as they might be otherwise.

As bamaboy came up, and I started to slow down a tad, I've come back to gun hunting a little bit anyhow.

I retired the M88, and have played the field since. I'm prone to light, short rifles, and a .44 Ruger and a 7.26x39 Mini and M77 have been carried plenty. I still hunt .308 in a Savage Scout. But.... my current favorite caliber may well be .243. Fast, flat and more than enough for whitetails with the right placement and slug.

For about 20 years, the only "deer" rifle I had was a M88 Win in .308.

Bamaranger

About 40 years ago I had a Model 88 Winchester in .308. Mine was the carbine version. Since the action on the 88 was so long, the barrel was only 18 inches to keep the overall length down to carbine dimensions. Because the barrel was so short, that gun had the worst muzzle blast of any gun I have ever fired.

.30-06 150 grain Remington CoreLokt

1.jpg

Back