favorite deer cal

Another Indiana hunter here. I have hunted with a lever action in .44MAG since they made it legal, and I don't plan on changing until I can hunt with my .308.

I also have to say that I enjoy loading my own hunting rounds for the .44MAG.

I've killed deer with 18 different calibers, of which I can't say any of those are my favorite. I just grab whatever is closest to the door on the way out.

I guess I am one of those odd guys that uses 7.62x39. Since I am one of those short stocky russian guys I use it in an sks.

I went from 6mm Rem. to 270 Win. I know what I'm going to keep using. They both work well but a 140 gr. SST is lights out.

My all time favorite is the 7x57, very mild shooting and performs much better then paper ballistics would have you think.

Second would be the .270. Being from Indiana as well, I use a .44mag locally.

I usually use a 308, although I have used 44 mag in a Marlin lever, 30-30, 30-06, 358 and once just for fun a 458 Win Mag (with a 350 grain handload). The 458 Win was adequate to the task. ;)

During Primitive season - my Thompson Center - Hawken - 45 Caliber Black Powder .

Reg season - Open Field I use my 270 Remington 700 / Heavy cover Marlin 44or Marlin 30/30. also packing S&W 686 6"

Favorite Deer Caliber?

Without a doubt, my favorite is the 6.5x55 Swede... Especially when shooting the fantastic Nosler 140 gr. Accubond bullet. Awesome! :)

7MM Remington Mag. Remington Premier Scirocco Bonded 150 gr.
Too much for deer? From the center to right of my stand into the woods, yes. From the center to the left across a 75 acre field, no.
Also 44 Mag Ruger Superblackhawk loaded with Winchester Supreme Partition Gold 250gr. For very close in +-50 Yds.

deer

Have been using 7-30 Waters which is a great performer on deer size critters.

Considering a T/C Contender in .357 Maximum with 190 gr cast lead. Let you kn ow how it works.

.270 Winchester is my favorite. Perfect deer cartridge, and it'll drop elk. I used a 7mm rem Mag last year on a black tail deer... looked like he got hit by a car when I saw him up close. I probably wont use 7mm rem Mag on deer again, it wasted a lot of meat... and I LOVE venison.

Haven't hunted [Bambi or anything else] in a while, but when I do, I'll take a 30.06 any day of the week. If no rifle is available, a 12 gauge loaded with rifled slugs will do for me.

Without a doubt, my favorite is the 6.5x55 Swede... Especially when shooting the fantastic Nosler 140 gr. Accubond bullet. Awesome!

I've always wanted a 6.5x55 Swede but for some reason I never got around to aquiring one.
Even though the swede is not a romping stomping magnum it seems they have some magical killing power.
I may have to break down and buy one.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Back