favorite deer cal

Favorite deer caliber: .30-06

P1010027.jpg

Favorite rifle, what can I say!

73-1.jpg

73-2.jpg

73-6.jpg

.308 w/ 165gr Hornady's has helped take all 6 the last two years. I am planning on a rebarrel to .260Rem, flatter, faster, softer...

7mm-08 with 110gr Barnes TTSX... 2835fps from 15" Encore Pro Hunter... 3,300 fps from 24" rifle.

Hits like Thor's hammer, yet keeps recoil very mild.

I like the .270 from savage, but it kicks too much for my wife so i have to go with the 30-06 in dang near anyrifle, but you can never go wrong with a .50 muzzle loader

my favorite deer caliber is 243, more than enough stopping power, can make clean kills out to 300+ yards, not too much recoil for the round...all in all my favorite. 223 is a close second but that's more of a "challenge hunt" round for me.

Hey Win73, what's your '73 chambered for?

.38-40

I shot a deer with it a couple of years ago. It left a good blood trail for over 500 yards but then I lost the blood trail and could not find the deer. A friend of mine was helping me trail it. We were amazed that it could go as for as it did bleeding like it was.

My go to rig is a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem mag. I also use a .30-06 Rem 700 when it begs to go out and play. I shoot the Savage better, but the 700 is an old friend. My first deer rifle I got around 20 years ago.
My Dad shoots a Browning A-Bolt in .270 that has killed a ton of deer and has the scars to prove it. I can't even begin to talk him out of that rifle or caliber. He is from the if it ain't broke don't fix it school.

My Dad shoots a Browning A-Bolt in .270 that has killed a ton of deer and has the scars to prove it. I can't even begin to talk him out of that rifle or caliber. He is from the if it ain't broke don't fix it school.

If anybody asked me what cartridge to use for deer I always reccomend the 270 Win. It is hard to argue against.

Back