favorite deer cal

I have killed more deer (as well as my first deer) with a 357 magnum Marlin lever action.

My favorite is probably the 45/70 (all so a Marlin) but the wife gets mad when I shoot those in the back yard.

Killed most of my "good" deer with a .300 Win Mag (cheapo 150 gr. coreloks). This year I got a .270 Win which is the "perfect" deer caliber.

kraigwy said:
There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two as long as they are both shot out of Model 70 Winchesters
HA! You love your Model 70's don't you? I snorted coffee thru my nose when I read that.

jakeLC said:
This is a common question but one that i like seeing because of all the calibers that i cant use being from Indiana.
Yeah, it is a common question and one that's been debated around campfires since man learned to hunt.

I've killed deer with BP rifles, shotguns, centerfire rifles of every stripe. This year it's going to be the .308, simply because I picked up a couple of .308s this summer as grandkid rifles and I can't pass them down unless I make sure that they work properly. It wouldn't be fair to the young'uns. I also intend to make meat with a .45-70 this year. I don't know how I've gotten this far in my madness without trying that caliber.

.270 is my favorite, no particular reason why, but thats what I have used for a long time. For muzzleloader I like a .50 cal with saboted slugs.

.303 British, 30-06, 270, 25-06, and current favorite .260 Remington. Took lots of game with all of them over many years, and all worked just fine. Have taken more deer with .50 cal muzzleloader than any of the rest though.

8mm Mauser with full Euro loads. Typically Norma 165 gr HPs (2855 fps) or 196 gr SP in Norma, Hansen or Sellior & Bellot (2500-2600 fps). I also have some nice handloads from a local vendor consisting of 150 gr at 2760 fps.

Did just fine as a youth with .30-30 in brushy areas, although the 8mm is just as sweet there as it is for longer shots, and I get to use a more unique firearm to shoot it. :D

For Florida where the deer are relatively small and the range is limited the .243 is my favorite. I think a .44 mag lever would work quite well to.

Lower Alabama

Muzzleloader: TC New Englander 12 bore with .69 caliber patched round ball.

Shotgun: Remington 870, 26" Vent Rib with Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot (3 x .60")

Rifle: (for the occasional open field hunt) Ruger 77, 4x Leupold, .270W.

7mm-08. Mild recoil. Using 140 grain bullets it shoots flatter than a 30-06 and right with a 270's trajectory . Short action caliber so it comes in some nice light weight compact rifles. Kills whitetails as well as anything out there. Just about the perfect whitetail caliber IMHO.

These are my preferences FWIW:
*25-06 for Cali Deer, Antelope, Sheep & Goat.
*30-06 for larger Mulies and Doe Elk.
*35 Whelen for Large Elk & Moose.
(25-30-35)
All can be had in my favorite format, the Winchester M70, so there is no controls confusion in the heat of the moment.

Favorite? Easy... .30-30 in a lever gun... Second favorite... tie 'tween 20 and 12 gauge cheap slug...

I do not contend with limited deer population so I do not need to take long shots. The longest I will shoot with a rifle is 100 yards... unless the deer is in the general vicinity of closer to my truck than I am... I will shoot 150 yards 'cuz it will not be a far drag back.

Brent

If the question really is...

"caliber" then 6.5mm/.26 caliber.

If the real question is cartridge then .260 Rem (followed by 6.5X38mm Grendel).

Actually the 6.5/.26 is my only cartridge for everything over .223R and under .308W.

T.

Back