favorite deer cal

I've taken deer with a number of rifles from .357 mag to .300 mag. My favorite now is the Marlin 336 chambered with the 38-55. Loaded with a 255 gr bullet it is great on deer out to 200-250 yds. After it's development in 1894, it was slightly shortened, necked down and became the 30-30.

Because of the many black powder rifles still around, it is a hand load propisition. I have never had to shoot twice at a deer.

I usually hunt deer and elk in the same season and the 270 win. is my round of choice. At the distance I capable of shooting well, 350 yards, it is plenty for either. If I fill the elk tag first I sometime switch to a 30 30. Dan

I like the good old 30-06.

If I was in a place where it was short range shots I would go with the classic 45-70 Govt.

I have two favorites: the 7mm Rem Mag and the 45-70 Gov't. Out of those two, I'd guess I prefer the 45-70 but I most often hunt with the 7mm. Both are fine deer rounds and are perfect for the hills and valleys I hunt in.

.257 weatherby magnum, with my handloads, 80 grain barnes ttsx bullets going over my chronograph right at 3700 fps, deer react as if struck by lightning!

Back