Do you carry an old gun?

The OP refers to guns from the 1980s or before. I do occasionally carry older guns because they work well for the role and still work well. So why not continue to use them?

Among those is this Colt Commander from 1951 in 38 Super. I've had this since the 70's I think. Bar-Sto barrel I upgraded the sights maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I occasionally carry this still usually in a bag though.

This Colt Combat Commander is from about 1974. I sometimes carry this still. It's in 45 acp.

I still carry this sometimes, M13-3

If a gun works, it works. Some more recently made guns works better for some things, like my S&W Shield in 9mm. Light weight easy to handle. The Glock 19 is useful.

tipoc

I bought my Police trade in SW model 10 .38 around 89, and it was made I believe in the early 70's. I have older guns I carry. 1980's were NOT that long ago.

Today another Beretta pocket pistol (should be 104 again today).

standard.jpg

I am pretty much a "revolver guy" for the most part . . . BUT

I have carried a 1850's Smith & Wesson M & P 38 special
- a 1960's S & W Model 36 - both a snub and a 3" model and still do on occasion - and a 1950's S & W Combat Masterpiece.

The BUT comes in though . . . . and recently . . . where I have "re-thought" what suits me best . . . if for nothing more than my peace of mind. My new EDC is a Glock 26 . . . small and easily carried OWB with a shirt-tail or jacket over it. I'm licensed in both MI and AZ . . . with what has been going on there are too many higher capacity arms out there in the hands of those that shouldn't have them. Personally, I feel much better with a higher capacity of rounds and a back-up spare magazine over a 5 shot revolver now . . but that's me. Yes . . . most SD situations start and are over with in seconds but not all of them . . . multiple perps are a different matter as are "shootings" by those who are intent on spraying their victims to get a high number of victims . . . as we have seen lately and IMHO, we will continue to see.

In the end, a person has to feel comfortable with what they decide to carry for SD . . . train with it and become proficient with it. The age of the carry piece is not as important as the function and the reliability of it . . . whether it be a revolver or a semi-auto. A 1911 Colt that is 100 years old that still functions well and is reliable or an early Smith M & P revolver in like condition will still do the job if needed just as well as a brand new revolver or semi-auto . . . it's all about being the "right one for you".

To start off the new month I chose a Colt 1903, Type III made in 1920 and Parkerized at some time during its life.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I sometimes carry a P-64 (1976), a Dan Wesson 15-2vh with snubby barrel (also late 1970's), and sometimes a Colt .25 vest pocket pistol (1921).

Same here. Carried a German Makarov with .380 barrel in a fanny pack. No other pistol I have ever owned could I should as accurately as that Makarov.

Charter Bulldog from 1975, S&W Model 19-2 from early 80's, Colt Commander 45 Series 70 from that decade. I don't carry anything remotely new, but have a S&W Shield that I would consider.

Have two Colt Commanders in .38 Super that I have carried daily since 1980..

A basically stock one carried from 1980 to 2007 and a second customized from 2007 till the present...they were both made the same year as me...1952

56919.jpg

56922.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
I don't carry any of my "old" guns hardly at all any more. Nowadays I tend to rotate between a Sig P365, Ruger LCP, or a Ruger LCRx .38 Special snubby depending on my circumstances and/or what I'm wearing. Although not an "old" pistol, the LCRx is in many ways an old school type revolver but for the fact it sports a grip laser like the other two mentioned. ;).

For about two weeks in ‘15, the WW2 German Sauer 38H, but only a few times. Often in the very recent past a .380 Russian Makarov- but only July through August.

There’s nothing at all wrong with a 1980 or late 70’s Sig-Sauer P6, with a lighter hammer spring.

Elsancudo. : have you spent much time practicing Only double action with your Makarov? It’s not a bad DA, but quite frankly my shooting with my Mak in DA isn’t good.

Back