Do you carry an old gun?

Have a couple that were made in the fifties. I, myself, was made in the thirties. i'd say that makes me a geezer.
It gets harder every year to carry one that's older than you are. I still have a few I haven't caught up to yet.

I still carry a 1960s model Colt Detective Special.

Similar affliction here.
2e47ffd90c99a7130ec64954c613e392.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guns are not like cars. They don't really deteriorate as they get older. IF they are well maintained, and springs are replaced, a decades old gun can give just as good service as a new one.

That said, I don't currently use an older gun for CCW (when in a state where I can) or for home defense. My oldest gun for defensive use is my 1991 manufacture Taurus 85CH (I don't carry it anymore, but it does sometimes get used as a HD gun). That said, I'd have no issue carrying an old revolver or auto (that proved reliable) for defense. When I had my first year S&W 57, my intent was to use it as a woods gun (it was in too good shape, I didn't feel right holstering a gun that was older than me and putting holster wear on it since it was near pristine for all that time), I did occasionally load up my S&W 19 (P&R) for HD when I had it, my first HD gun was a 1980s manufacture Taurus 82, and I even loaded my 1940s or 50s Colt Police Positive Special for home defense when I had it (and I would have carried it if I was allowed at the time). The only disclaimer, if I get an older gun that is pristine, or near pristine, I might feel bad putting new holster wear on an old gun that made it that long (I'm a history guy, so if it is old or significant enough, I start thinking museum piece, or at least preserving history). However, if it was well loved/used/carried and already has some wear, I would be proud to put my own mark on the gun myself with my own holster wear.

Oh, when I was a pipe smoker, finding a birth year pipe was often something people looked for (I had a birth year Dunhill for a little while). I would love to find a birth year (1970) Colt Cobra, Agent, Detective Special, S&W 19 or 10 to carry (when I can carry).

Last edited:
Daily carry is a Colt (lightweight for you new guys) Commander, .45 ACP. Desingned in the 1940s and this one dates from a manufacturing date of the middle '70s.
Sometimes in hot weather a Smith & Wesson M36 with a barrel pin.

I do have a new fangled double action pistol in 9x19mm! A Smith & Wesson M39.

I carry a 1978 Bulgarian Makarov 90% of the time. It is slim and very easy to conceal even with an OWB holster at 4 oclock. I can aslo draw it faster than my 1911s and Glock 19. I carry two extra magazines.

Back