Do you carry an old gun?

Occasionally, a 1932 Colt Commercial 1911 that previously served some decades of duty with the Buenos Ares Capital Police.

The finish is worn but it otherwise runs and shoots great. It conveys an Old School Colt feel about it. Pre-war, but it has the 'A1' modifications.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
‘72 model

I’m a 1972 model. I have a 1972 Corvette. We were landing on the moon that year. Newer Corvettes are faster and you see them more often but NOTHING blows the hair back like a C3 cruising down the road. They don’t make things as good as they used to. This goes for Guns too. I’d much rather put my life in the hands of a, say, a 1954 Colt 45 1911 then a brand new Glock anything.

My daily drivers are a 57 Belair, a 67 Mustang, and a 70 F100. New cars just don't do it for me.

I have three handguns from 1915-16: Military and Police, Hand Ejector, and Mauser 1914. I don't carry them, but I could. They all work just fine.

My EDC has been the Colt series 70 1911A1 I bought new in 1978. It is very reliable and is a trusted old friend.

My EDC is a former NYPD S&W 469 made in 1984, out of maybe 700+ rounds after I bought it one FTF and one FTE which I blame on a mecgar magazine.

I own a couple of buckets of handguns but only one gut buster a Walther PP
a WW2 bring home. Never fails to go boom.

They don’t make things as good as they used to.

That's true! They make things better. Spark plugs in new cars last longer than cars once did. You once had to be a mechanic to ride a motorcycle but today's almost never break down. TVs once broke down at least once per year and now they last for many years and are thrown away when they break (they also cost much less). Today's gun owners would not put up with the tinkering and working on guns that was once common.

I have four different "vintage" S & Ws - probably by the OP's definition they'd be classified as "ancient" - depends on where I"m going which one I may be carrying. One is as old as I am so I guess it would be "ancient". LOL Probably the oldest one I've carried is my Colt Army Special - it shoots just as well as the day it was made back in 1910.

I am offended by the term old used with 1980's,,,
That would classify my 1951 vintage body as ancient

Yep. What he said. I have a Walther/Manhurin PP in 32acp made in 1957, same year I was made and its in a whole lot better shape than I am.:(

The gun most in my possession is a S&W SD9VE that is around 6 years old IIRC.:)

I sometimes carry a '60s era Llama large frame 1911, not concealed though. I don't have any clothes baggy enough to hide that hand cannon.

Back