Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this earlier in a separate post to my comments which it was related, but immediately following post 55. Since it was in a separate post without any discussion it was a drive by and thus deleted and infraction issued. I apologize for the poor etiquette.
The following is a, in my opinion, well written article in which a veteran police officer and experienced psychologist specializing in police psychology are interviewed. The article makes some of the points I was grasping for much more clearly and eloquently than I could hope to manage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-school-mass-shooting/?utm_term=.2cb47b08ba29

Courage is going from a calm low stress safe zone and heading to a place where one will face immediate danger. Cowardice is ignoring the call. It would be interesting to know what all the other LEO in the area were up to. I wouldn't be surprised if some dragged their feet in getting to the scene. It wouldn't' be the first time an officer has done so.
The RSO had to make his decisions inside the high stress danger zone. He did move towards the danger. The three responding Sheriff officers probably relied on information and his lead in making their decision. They did move from well out of the danger zone into the danger zone.
The officers from the PD had the drive over, with relatively low adrenaline and psychological strain, to gather themselves, review their training, and decide on a course of action BEFORE they entered the situation and were overwhelmed with subconscious psychological effects. They likely had already decided on a course of action when they exited their vehicles. They probably talked it over with a dispatcher who was further removed in addition to each other over the radio.
I believe courage is knowingly walking into a situation calmly, such as the responding police officers did. The reaction when the situation goes to hell right around you is not related to courage or cowardice.
Those judging are trusting extremely limited information interpreted by news reporters who probably have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I once watched tracers from an M2 running near cyclic scream by just over my head as I hunkered behind a small retaining wall. Concrete from the building behind me showering down on me and dirt from in front of the wall splashing over. I found myself thinking about the timing between rounds, which was surprisingly long. Wondering whether I could swing my arm between them without getting hit. Remembering/realizing there were almost certainly non-tracer rounds in between the tracers. Wondering if I could still swing my hand in between rounds. Wondering if anyone had ever tried it before. Thinking what a story that would be.
No idea how long I was engrossed in these thoughts. I really don't think I was aware of much of anything besides the tracers passing overhead during this period of time. The 'bad guys' could have retreated back to the wall as cover and I might not have even noticed unless they stepped on me. I couldn't fire on the M2 and I couldn't leave my position. I was physically doing what I should have been doing. I can't say it was anymore than coincidence and luck at that point in time. My mind was totally distracted.
Funny what you think about at times like that. I was having a really bad night once and someone was unloading a pistol magazine at me while I was zigzagging towards the trees. One went right by my left ear and I thought that I could have just bent my elbow and caught the round in my hand. I look back now and wonder why in the world my brain would have come up with that.

On topic: I'm a teacher. I'm not allowed the tools to defend myself and I don't know if I can count on an RSO or anyone else from outside to intervene if we're attacked. I've done what I can to harden my classroom but right now barricades are the best I can do. I really don't want to end my career as a bullet sponge

Last edited:
Did you read the article I posted? There are a lot of weird things that happen in peoples minds during combat. Part of my problem in the instance I described was being alone at my position without any communication. The Sheriff officer was also alone. No one was there providing stimulus to snap him out of it if he did have a similar experience.
We are making a lot of assumptions about what happened. Maybe some of you have seen some of the video that has not been publicly released, but most have not. I don't think the reporters we are trusting have seen the video either. The sources seem to be officers leaking their interpretation of video verbally to news reporters who are then translating that information to condensed written word. Like a game of telephone. The situation is much more complicated than the words and phrases usually passed in that game and I am sure we have all been surprised at what comes out the far end of the relay. There are possibilities that are not being considered while everyone charges forward with the crucifixion.
There is room for this to be a lot more complicated than 'he is a coward,' and I would rather wait until I have better information before I march him up Calvary.
For instance, he now claims he thought the shots came from outside. If the video shows he was positioned with his back to the building watching the approach to the doors that would indicate he misjudged the location of the shots, not that he was a coward.
I'm not saying I am sure about it, but I have read enough early news stories that ended up being wrong I'd rather wait until I can review the information myself.

There are folks who find themselves in a situation like a mother sweeping a back porch when a grizzly bear approaches her kid. She will use her broom to beat the bear to a bloody mud hole . She might be afraid of a spider in the kitchen.

There are people who will stand up,hook up,and shuffle to the door to exit an airplane into the darkness over Normandy,or climb into a Hughie for the first flight into LZ X-Ray at the Ia Drang. Then there were Crandall and TooTall Freeman....who flew back 13 or 14 times after the LZ was closed.
Gordon and Shuggart who rappelled down to stand over down pilot Duran at Mogadishu..
IMO,every High School kid should know,and be able to tell at least one MOH story.

There were the air crews who climbed into a B-17 for their 13th bomb run over Germany. Ploiesti,maybe.
I think most of these folks have their doubts about it being a good idea.They might think about calling in sick.But lack of options,duty,or loyalty and love for the rest of the team means you show up.Do what has to be done.Thinking -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- am I doing here. This socks.

My image of what courage is has to do wit a 40 something woman abandoned by her husband in 1963 with 6 kids,the youngest in diapers.She was scared,tired,facing the elephant every day.She picked up her load and got it done. This woman told me when she was at Bizerte in 1943 in a tent hospital as an Army Nurse,when they triaged out troops who had no hope,she would put her arms around them and hold them as they died. She was explaining why she declined to see "Saving Private Ryan"

I think none of these people will give you a speech justifying their actions.They do not need to make up a story.
You are certainly entitled to speak your mind,johnwilliamson.
I agree,we don't have the whole story.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

I suspect it will get worse as the Truth,hopefully,comes out. Or gets buried.

I'm not an Alex Jones fan.I find his Sandy Hook theories quite offensive.

But let me ask this question.What was the reasoning behind letting a flood of untrackable AK-47s into Mexico during Fast and Furious.??? Why would our government do such a crazy thing?

I don't know how to draw any conclusion other than those guns were supposed tokill people and create international outrage..the "crisis" for the US to sign onto International Anti-Gun treaty and defeat the 2A.

Which means at least some in our government will sacrifice lives for political agenda.

I do not suggest any active participation by our government in any school tragedy. That would be nuts.

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Ever notice how there are always a lot of warnings before these shootings?

How the FBI ,etc "drop the ball" ?

How the buses,porta potties,and political media events are organized and rolled out like they a certain amount of planning had been done?

When I listen to that head sheriff sidestep,when I remember Broward County as the "Hanging Chad" place...

I can't help but wonder what is possible.

Last edited:
The fundamental idea behind gun control is that we should delegate our protection to the state. The incident they're using to prove that is one in which the state failed to do so at nearly every level.
That is the nut of the issue for sure!

We don't need more gun laws because the failure was not about guns. It was about govt workers in schools, police, DA not doing their job that they are paid to do and reporting and enforcing the laws we already have.

Laws prohibiting ownership of certain items does not prevent determined people from acquiring them or abusing them, be it drugs, alcohol, guns, or anything else. We need to focus on behaviors and act seriously when it goes wrong, and quit wringing our hands about owning certain items. When we talk about gun restrictions we are playing into the hands of those who will keep moving the goal posts until no one can own them.

We don't need more gun laws because the failure was not about guns. It was about govt workers in schools, police, DA not doing their job that they are paid to do and reporting and enforcing the laws we already have.

Bingo! The NRA seems to be focusing on this and maybe after some of the raw emotion calms down we can see some really movement to improving these failed systems.

When you realize the principle point of modern politics is to find an Emmanuel Goldstein to distract people from asking why the government can’t carry out the responsibilities already assigned competently, you can see where the NRA makes a convenient scapegoat in many of these cases.

Even non-government entities are trying it! Look at Harvey Weinstein when he was accused of rape, sexual harassment and more. “I’m going to get that gun lobby!” Talk about a non-sequitur.

Not that the NRA is alone as a distraction. Anytime you hear a mayor talking about global climate change or nuclear proliferation, you can pretty well bet the trash is piling up, the roads are poorly maintained, and the pension is massively underfunded.

Double Naught,
I appreciate the time you put into that post and the information contained within it. It is of value, but I think it also over simplifies many different scenarios into the one being specifically discussed here, active shooters in schools.

If you go along with the FBI definition of mass shooting, then lot of acts that aren't what people think of when they hear the phrase get thrown into the mix.

In other words, you don't like the data because they don't fit your preconceived notions. Got it.

Okay you have deviated here from Active Shooter to Mass Shooting, but I will play along. Yeah, if you go with THE FBI definition, as opposed to making up alternative definitions to fit one's preconceived notions, then the FBI definition may not fit the preconceived notions. I see this repeatedly when folks try to minimize the tally of mass shootings by redefining what a mass shooting is so as to be exclusionary. It is a silly game. The people involved in the shootings are not making decisions as to whether or not their particular shooting falls into some sort of definition one way or the other. The definition is in place by the FBI. No reason to change it.

I am glad you brought up the FBI and their definition as they also did a neat study of 2000-2013 incidents of active shooters. In only about 40% of the cases did the active shooters commit suicide, regardless of whether they faced armed resistance or not. In fact, they committed suicide over 23% of the time BEFORE police arrived. That would leave roughly 17% of the time that suicide was committed after police arrived and some of those happened before the shooters were ever actually directly engaged by the police.

What is really interesting and prudent to the discussion of ACTIVE shooters is that in over 28% of the cases, the shooter and law enforcement engaged in gunfire. By the FBI's data, Sharkbite's notion that active shooters don't fight back is wrong.
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/active-shooter-study-2000-2013-1.pdf/view

The ISIS related attacks feature different motives.

So you want to not include ISIS attacks in the mix of active shooters because they have different motivation? Are you suggesting all the other shooters, or even all the same school shooters have some sort of unified motivation? I know you haven't looked into it much, but if you take the time to read about the histories of these events, you will find motivations are all over the board. At the time of the shooting, motivation is irrelevant as it almost always unknown to the first responders. They don't have the luxury of querying, "Excuse me Old Chap, but what is your motivation for this shooting so that we may respond in the appropriate fashion?" So by your own admission that these responders don't know the motivation, then Sharkbite's ill conceived statement that "active shooters" will surrender or commit suicide at the first sign is armed response instills a false sense of security and perceived anticipation of a riskless victory to responders.

Sharkbite's wording may not have been 100% clear, but I believe the sentiment that the shooters generally stop attacking once engaged is true, especially in school shootings.

No, here is where you are wrong. Sharkbite's wording was exceptionally clear. That was the problem. He said the statistics are irrefutable, that at the first sign of armed resistence (not sometime later, but at the first sign), the shooter stops killing and that there is NOT a single occurrence of fighting back against armed resistance and upon meeting armed resistance the shooter either gives up or commits suicide. I don't know how he could have been more clear. I only need one example to refute the absolutist statement. I provided many.

I understand you don't like the examples I provided and wish to discount them by your criteria of things like different motivation, not what people think of as mass shootings, and the subject being discussed here is school shootings, or in the case of Columbine, you called it an "anomaly" because Klebold and Harris were better prepared, but I provided multiple examples of school shooters who fought back, not just Columbine. However, for Columbine, we are again left with the issue of, "Excuse me Old Chap, but are you an anomaly active mass shooter or a standard active mass shooter?" First responders don't know. That you or anybody else thinks it is an anomaly after the fact is irrelevant to what it was at the time of the event, an active shooting event.

I only included 2 examples of school shootings where the shooter fought back and did not give up or commit suicide immediately after encountering armed resistance. Here are more examples.

Umpqua Community College 2015 - shot it out with cops before committing suicide
Florida State University 2014 - Active shooter event, 3 downed before shooter killed in battle with cops
Reynolds HS, Oregon 2014 -Active shooter, 1 killed 1 wounded before gun battle with police and then the shooter committed suicide
Millard HS Nebraska 2011 - Active shooter engaged responding police, later fled and committed suicide
Amish School Shooting 2006 - Took hostages, school surrounded by armed resistance (law enforcement), then he shot numerous hostages before committing suicide

Active School Shooter where incident did not start at school...
Santa Monica 2013 - Active shooter, spree shooter, ended up at a school after shooter engaged numerous people and vehicles including cops and was killed at the school in a shootout with cops.

So yeah, Sharkbite's irrefutable statistical claim that active shooters (even at schools) never fight back after encountering armed resistance is just plain WRONG. Armed People who respond (cops or citizens) are very much in danger by these school shooters, which is not what Sharkbite's statement would indicate.

Perhaps someone with LEO background can update us on current policy for active shooter, especially at facilities like a school. I thought up to Columbine the policy was to first contain, then negotiate and then enter if still needed. But after a few school and mall shootings, and Columbine in particular, I thought it was generally agreed by police and the public that it was best for the first officers on the scene to attack as best they could to at least distract the gunman(men) to save lives.

Was there not a major policy shift after Columbine, and if so, what is the standard for training now? The medical first responder who criticized the BCSO seems to say that in BC they had joint active shooter training and the BCSO was not following the plan they were trained on.

The stats don’t matter.
The policies don’t matter.
The procedures don’t matter.
None of the events that led up to the shooting matter.

What matters is there was AT LEAST ONE PERSON there that could have made a PERSONAL decision to act. Sometimes you have decide what you’re gonna have on your mind for the rest of your life while you’re trying to go to sleep.
It was that officer’s decision in that moment, no policy, procedure or supervisor made that decision for him.

If he was told not to go in, he still could have on his own accord.
Just like if he was ordered to go in, he could have refused.

We are only talking about the moment to act, not the repercussions before or after.

I’m not even calling him a coward, I think everyone that faces gunfire should do so voluntarily. Sounds like he accepts his decision, he has the rest of his life to ponder it... but so do we.

Perhaps someone with LEO background can update us on current policy for active shooter, especially at facilities like a school. I thought up to Columbine the policy was to first contain, then negotiate and then enter if still needed. But after a few school and mall shootings, and Columbine in particular, I thought it was generally agreed by police and the public that it was best for the first officers on the scene to attack as best they could to at least distract the gunman(men) to save lives.

Was there not a major policy shift after Columbine, and if so, what is the standard for training now? The medical first responder who criticized the BCSO seems to say that in BC they had joint active shooter training and the BCSO was not following the plan they were trained on.

I can't speak for every location in America, but my state teaches "rapid deployment." This policy says the first two officers on scene go inside and engage. If one officer is on scene and any possible backup is more than a couple minutes out, one officer is trained to "go it alone." As I said I can't speak with authority for every state, but I'm nearly positive that almost all States train to a similar doctrine now.

I've posted it here several times. An incident in my state is a perfect example of a lone hero cop in a podunk town going into a mass shooting in a Resthome when backup was at least 10 minutes away. He did not have a long gun. He engaged a man wielding a shotgun with buckshot, who had already reloaded several times and had numerous rounds remaining, and stopped him. The officer was wounded but more or less fully recovered (relatively speaking) and subdued the shooter with nothing but his service pistol. It is a hope, a wing, and a prayer at times. But none-the-less, wearing a badge means you signed up for it.

Back on point, yes. Holding the perimeter and waiting for SWAT is not a standard anymore. I honestly thought this was widely known. Also, I've mentally committed to not waiting for backup unless its literally seconds away in the event that I'm first there. Which the circumstance that would put me first on scene would likely be ordained by God.

Last edited:
So you want to not include ISIS attacks in the mix of active shooters
No I want to exclude more than that from this discussion. I want to limit it to school shooters. All the other examples that you included are ENTIRELY irrelevant. No one is talking about veterans volunteering to guard office buildings or shopping malls. This is just about school shooters.
This is an informal internet forum. Hyperbole is the norm, even to the extent of absolutist hyperbole. 'my 10/22 always shoots 1 MOA at a million yards' 'In over 500,000 rounds I have never had an FTF with RGB' etc. No one is assigning points and picking a winner here. Most of us are writing quick responses as the idea enters our head. Lots of us on little phone screens.

I can't speak for every location in America, but my state teaches "rapid deployment."
In my state every city and county has a different policy as does the state police. Almost all of them have received similar training for school shootings, but the actual department policies are drafted individually.

In my life

In my life beginning as an AUX LEO for 4 years in my home town in NJ starting at 1970, My position was paid for by the State of NJ to augment our local PD.We have to not only pass the local dept. of PD buy we also had to pass the Feds tests.

I have once drawn my revolver in making an arrest of a serial burglar. Since that time, I've drawn my revolver/pistol 8 times whilst having a Trooper's 6's in Tn. & Fl.

With all of the insane driving & total lack of respect for my elder brothers/sisters. I was in, at least, able to calm down the agitated driver & not draw my revolver/pistol, actually saving the life of the aggresive driver & maybe mine.

What's important here is the LEO assigned to protect the children in Parkland, Fl' school failed totally to Serve & Protect as did the rest of the 4 LEOS TO ARRIVE FROM CORAL SPRINGS.

I DON'T GET IT. This whole LEO's job was to 100% to protect our greatest & future most valuable assets., OUR CHILDREN. The undeniable action of LEO Peterson was just another PR action for the NRA to call for teachers to carry & further support our gun mfgs and to get us to buy bigger and more deadly weapons.

This is total garbage and I am blown away. I remember JFK's murder in Texas.If a killer wants to carry out a killing, it's almost impossible to stop them.
But in our schools, I'd prefer armed military to protect our children.they have the training and the skills and the assets to do so. Why isn't this being done?

My last thought is " This is neither a Rep. nor Dem. sentiment". No Politics here, Just a protect our children plea.

Can't say I would have for sure, but even if I didn't have a gun period, I think if I heard the shooting, I would have felt that I should go in and try to do something, like maybe try to find a way to distract the shooter or something. Not for all mass shootings, but ones involving children, it's like a, "It's your duty as a man" thing is my thinking. Staying outside, I would feel is excuse-making. And if I had a gun, I would most definitely feel I should go inside and try to engage. Again, I can't say for sure I would as no one can know for sure unless they've already been tested like that, but I would have a very low opinion of myself afterwards if I didn't. And if I was a police officer or soldier and didn't go in, I'd really feel low of myself.

Doc,

Thanks for what you did for the country and the community as a police officer.

I don't think one can separate this from politics though.....you didn't with the attack on guys like me (NRA) so here we go.

The Left hates the idea of self defense with a firearm and while alternatively demonizing police as "evil and racist" they still demand only police should have firearms while witnessing police with firearms, not getting there in time or (as in this case) just sitting outside. The Left runs most school systems in the country.

I was a teacher but before I was a teacher I won a few pistol matches, worked as an armed guard, hunted, qualified "expert" with the local sheriff's department qualifications, and carried concealed for 7 years. I'm still not getting the "teachers can be trusted with guns outside the classroom but not inside."

Those of us that carry per daily routine have no trouble doing whatever we are doing while being armed.....so the argument "teachers should focus on teaching" is being said by a liar or someone that's never carried a gun.

I guess it's a sort of elitism for police or veterans to believe only those who wore a uniform can be trusted with a firearm.....however it's a very pervasive belief. I noticed it in your post. I've carried a gun for 1/2 my life so far and I've never used it out of sorts. If you really want to get into this I can link the rates at which police break the law compared to how often CCW holders break the law, if you want to play that game.

Perhaps 1/2 of all the military vets I know are very overweight and/or obese now, I'm not sure how much of that "training" stuck with them. :p Also, it's not that hard to figure out who to shoot when that person is trying to kill your kids, maybe that requires West Point or SEAL acceptance, I don't know. :p

I actually emailed the President last week suggesting local departments expand their reserve officer (police) corps, for those departments that have those. Volunteer officers could be posted into schools as that would get around the "gun free zone" federal law. Most states and communities just cannot afford to post regular police officers and even if they did, those units would be sent elsewhere before too long. Ditto on the US govt or National Guard doing it. I mean, it's not like the govt. failed in this case anywhere along the line! Surely more govt is the answer. :p

The only cost effective method will be local reserve officers and/or teachers and the former isn't without cost while the latter largely is. **I know, I know, the school system would add on so many silly requirements it'd be as difficult and convoluted as the program allowing pilots to carry guns....the stupid really does hurt.

I used to live in the projects--and I was present when the bullets started flying more than a few times--even had someone take a shot at me once. Now these were most of the time engagements between young kids that were gang members (they recruit them at a very early age--sometimes before they even reach 10). I did what I was trained to do (I got my CCW from instructors of the local police department)--got my butt to a secure position and called in a detailed and as accurate as possible description of the evolving situation to the local PD as I could. That alone is pretty tough to do with the adrenaline flowing. I understand that the LEO present at the school made a choice that may have contributed to the carnage--but I wonder how many of the non-LEO "I would have gone in" civilian crowd would also choose to do the same thing in a gang fight they come across "on the wrong side of town." What also isn't clear to me is how--when you as a civilian choose to go in and engage an active shooter--you do not run the combined risk of being shot by both the shooter and the arriving police.

US military forces cannot be used to enforce domestic policies inside the United States. (Posse Comitatus Act...Various CFRs under titles 18 and 10).

National guard can be called up by the governor, but that does cost money and other problems to the soldiers.

Armed teachers does not necessarily cost anything to the government. UT teachers have been legally armed in schools for years and they carry their own weapons and equipment and receive no extra pay (maybe some school districts might give an added stipend, but most do not).

Auxiliary LE could be used, but it does cost. d

I am not against the extra costs to school districts, just noting it will usually cost more money.

But I am not sure there is any answer to school shootings other than to help prevent them inside the schools. If some nut is willing and able to shoot down a bunch of kids, and he/she cannot get into the school to do it, it will happen in the parking lot, athletic field, kid parents pickup area in the street. etc.

And if they cannot get an AR, a couple handguns can be used (as proved by Cho in Virginia Tech many years ago).

school

I cannot recall the numerous times I entered my children's high school and wondered the hall trying to locate a particular person or classroom. Never challenged, never asked for ID, etc.

Though the school issues IDs to students they appear to have little meaning as regards security as any one can enter the school.

The school seems to be pointing to the gun as the problem when it appears school security is the issue.
Perhaps this is an attempt to diminish the school's liability.

Right. Because I have a pistol on me 24/7 I'm a cop, or a soldier?

I do my job, I'm a father and a husband, and carrying a pistol has nothing to do with anything except I have an option in a life or death situation that everyone who doesn't carry a pistol doesn't have. There is nothing more to it than that.

A teacher carrying doesn't become something else. They simply have an option to do something other than flee, hide and listen to their students die if goblins attack. This idea that you have to be a ninja to carry or use a firearm is BRAND NEW, and flies in the face of hundreds of years of our history.

I don't get it. Get rid of gun free zones, and you're half way there to mitigating the problem. That's certainly not a "solution" by itself, but only a child looks for cure all remedies in a complex world.

Doc Holliday 1950 said:
What's important here is the LEO assigned to protect the children in Parkland, Fl' school failed totally to Serve & Protect as did the rest of the 4 LEOS TO ARRIVE FROM CORAL SPRINGS.
Have you been reading articles not available to the general public? From what I have read, it appears that in addition to SRO Deputy Peterson, three other Broward County deputies responded and joined Peterson in "setting up a perimeter." Then four Coral Springs officers arrived -- it was the Coral Springs officers who made entry into the building. They (Coral Springs officers) were followed by two other Broward County deputies (NOT Peterson or the other three first responders) and an officer from a third jurisdiction.

Your post seems to be saying that it was Coral Springs officers who failed to make entry. I believe that's incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back