Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's up to 3 or 4 cowards now...all from the Sheriff's office.

Reports are saying four deputies refused to enter the school.

Some Coral Springs police were stunned and upset that the four original Broward County Sheriff's deputies who were first on the scene did not appear to join them as they entered the school, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. It's unclear whether the shooter was still in the building when they arrived.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...school/ar-BBJvA3b?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Cops not willing to risk their lives to protect hundreds of school kids should have previously requested other work.

The person who should resign is Sherriff Scott Israel

+1. Lots of changes need to happen but Israel's sacking is an absolute necessity based on the stories available now.

I get more infuriated with every news story I read. Now more deputies waited outside? And the worst today, was this CNN Opinion piece that used the fact that the deputy waited outside when he should have gone in as proof that "a good guy with a gun" doesn't always stop the bad guy. I can't believe even Chris Cillizza is deranged enough to draw this conclusion.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics/lapierre-nra-analysis/index.html

But then I've noticed, Cillizza never allows comments on his "opinions"...because I've always wanted to and never found any.

His action has caused another twist, I have been contacted by 9 people who now want to learn to shoot. They now realize they can't rely on any one but themselves for their own defense.

https://theconservativetreehouse.co...dept-were-first-into-building/comment-page-1/

(Via CNN) When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff’s Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff’s deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

Well, that goes a long way to explaining (even more than before) why Sheriff Israel was so, ah, um ... "circumspect" ... in his (non) discussion of who went in first. He's perfectly happy to have allowed the Coral Springs officers to take all the risk, while he tries to grab all the glory for his department.

We had an expression for people like him when I was in the Army -- "Lower than whale [poop] at the bottom of the ocean."

Last edited:
Cillizza is an idiot. He tweeted something about how fair and thoughtful the CNN town hall was. I mean, sure... it is hosted by a former Handgun Control Inc. employee, has scripted questions, and the host allows the stacked audience to shout epithets at all the pro-RKBA people; but aside from that it was the picture of unbiased news.

Psychedelic Bang said:
johnwilliamson062 said:
It is very unlikely he was trained to wait outside.
It looks very much like you are right, and I was wrong. I didn't know - my background is not law enforcement by any stretch of the imagination.
You don't need to be law enforcement. The change in strategy/tactics has been widely and frequently discussed ever since Columbine.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/florida-school-shooting-columbine-lessons/index.html

The fundamental idea behind gun control is that we should delegate our protection to the state. The incident they're using to prove that is one in which the state failed to do so at nearly every level.

"Protect and serve" is false advertising according to several rulings of the US Supreme Court. According to the highest court in the land, police are under no legal duty to protect anyone, only, "society as a whole." (Whatever that means).

I have a very low tolerance for anyone that puts themselves first and won't stick their necks out for a stranger. Oh and yes, I've been burned a few times doing that. I can still look myself in the mirror though.

I think the sheriff is throwing his guy under the bus pretty quickly but it is an excellent example, along with the failings of the FBI, the school system, the sheriff's office, the parents, the health care workers, and federal and state law how you can't count on govt to protect you. And those same people tell you "give up your guns so we can protect you." :p :p :p

Tom Servo pretty much summed up the situation.

I can understand that officer being scared crapless. I can also understand that several teachers were probably just as scared and ran toward the shooting.

In a more honorable world, the sheriff would resign as well, after all, his officer's actions probably fell to the level of his training.

Just so we all know - The Sherriff that many in this thread agree should resign is also now calling for a bunch of gun control

His resignation is like two birds with one stone

I am not sure if linking a Whitehouse petition on this site is a violation of TOS. If it is - plz delete the post, and accept my apologies.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/resignation-broward-county-sherriff-scott-israel

The petition needs 145 more signatures to be visible to the public without the link.

Plz sign/share the above petition

"Florida sheriff Scott Israel says lawmakers 'won't get re-elected' if they don't push for gun control"

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/1...-re-elected-if-dont-push-for-gun-control.html

So before we all jump on board and call this cop a coward, make sure you know what you would do under the same circumstances. Before I would personally make a decision I would want more information in regard to the entire event.

Like you, I have been in armed conflict. Once in Afghanistan, and several times in Iraq. I also am law enforcement. I will call him a coward. FWIW I know why he did. I understand not wanting to run to conflict when he can retire at any time. But... Man he lived a good long life already. You can't risk it for a bunch of kids? Seriously!?!? As others have said, no one demands he commit to a frontal assault. As others have said this kid was preoccupied with a target rich environment. Getting the drop on him from behind is entirely plausible. I've been shot at, and I don't really point that out much but I say it because I know what its like. Its not fun, but it also pisses you off (or it did me). On top of it, I do the job too. If you can't run toward armed conflict to try and save a school full of kids you have no business wearing a badge and gun.

On another note, I absolutely agree that the sheriff should have protestors in the street firebombing the courthouse. I live in a much different area, so gun control wouldn't be the focus here. My community would lose our minds at this sheriff after all these details came out. On top of it the guy was an arrogant prick at the CNN town hall. "I've been in law enforcement 39 years, and I know how to protect people"... My ass.

Use to travel to Washington DC, when it was called "the murder Capital of America".

I did drive into "Indian Country", no Cops or Cop cars to be seen. But, around the National Mall, lots of Cops handing out traffic tickets to all the nice middle class people.

Gotta think, what will keep you alive longer, bullying nice, unarmed, middle class out of towners, or bumping up against a local Druggie/Drug Dealer who expects to die before he is 21?

I have seen reactions to extreme violence. From very cool calm and collected to frozen denial. A person overwhelmed the first time they are exposed to such events may react better during subsequent occurrences. It is just very hard for me to judge harshly without a very good idea of exactly what went on and I do not have that now.
Four officers not going in is pretty bad.
At that point I wouldn't say a single rifle holds a firepower advantage at inside a school ranges.
At that point they could have proceeded with the more conservative much less risky diamond type tactics. At that point someone must have had a long-arm.

For an ACTIVE shooter the general consensus is engaging immediately. I am not sure that is true if they are no longer shooting. It is possible when the other three officers arrived there was no longer shooting and the original officer did not provide accurate information. It is possible they thought they had someone holed up with hostages who was not "active." In that case, not entering would probably be appropriate. Eventually solid information will be provided.

I definitely want to label him a coward. It's his job to protect those kids----- he did not.

I understand being out gunned changes the situation, A LOT.

I say any one in the protection business needs to have an AR on their shoulder as well as a sidearm. Then he'd have no excuse for not going in. After that bank heist in LA many years ago I thought we all learned a handgun just isn't enough for our LEO's anymore.

After all-----if those black guns are as scary as so many think they are---- just carrying one should scare them off.

Well to start I do not know what they were thinking or why they did what they did. I am confident that we do not know the whole story and the media is only going to feed us what they want and in a manner that will sell news. High emotions is news!

Cops are human too. Just because you get a paycheck does not make you immune to fear, confusion, human emotions, and othe psychological effect. We all have a vision of how we think things should have went down but we do not know how we would react untill we are actually faced with that circumstance. Some will excel and run too it and some will be paralyzed in fear or indecision.

I am not going to call him a coward but do agree he did not respond in a way we would have hoped. May be fear, the way he was trained, lack of training, indecision, confusion, etc. My first thought is most people in high adreniline circumstanses revert to training. It is hard to process though in those situations and we usually go to auto. First would be training and the way we are wired.

Just remember this was over in a matter of minutes. The time it took me to write this post the shooting would already have been over. A short hesitation or pause could be the difference between being labeled as a hero or coward regardless of your intentions.

I am not sure if linking a Whitehouse petition on this site is a violation of TOS. If it is - plz delete the post, and accept my apologies.
Not in this subforum, but please understand that these petitions do no good whatsoever.

I definitely want to label him a coward.
That's pretty much what's already happened. He's never going to work in law enforcement again. His community knows what he did. His friends and family know what he did. Most of all, he has to live with it.

I don't approve of his inaction, but I don't envy the man, either.

Troy800 said:
Just remember this was over in a matter of minutes. The time it took me to write this post the shooting would already have been over. A short hesitation or pause could be the difference between being labeled as a hero or coward regardless of your intentions.
Peterson "hesitated" long enough (over four minutes) for officers from an adjoining town to arrive. THEY (Coral Springs PD) were the first to enter the building. Peterson didn't lead them in, he didn't even follow them in. He and three other Broward County deputies remained in the parking lot, behind their black-and-whites, while the Coral Springs guys entered the building. Yes, by then the shooter was gone -- but they didn't know that. They didn't hesitate -- they went.

I hate to be invested in this discussion... so many times we simply do NOT know what we DO NOT KNOW

I have watched literally 100 + internet videos of on the scene civ/police interactions and never once was able to know if I was getting the "as it happened full story"

Over time I learned to decide there is no way I CAN rationally come to any firm conclusions...this of course is tempered buy my own unique" bene there done that experiences"

I am a run into the fire type soul...have been since a child

But I have been trained by many a Korea, Viet, Saudi Vet and sheriff and local Police mentors... Close combat extensive trained in the best of the best Mock cities with real actors

EVERY situation is by definition different... some times you have perfect Intel sometimes NONE

I am NOT willing to chastise ANY of these responders.... and neither should any of my fellow forums members .... we were NOT there, we have no clue based on the campus size and multiple building where any of them were relative to the gun fire

There are too many variables relative to the event and no media outlet can possibly do any good second by second accounting ----so any of us could play QB and on scene commander....and with zero actual knowledge...and be totally wrong

I have been the poor guy going into bad situation and I have been the commander sending in the teams...

YOU NEVER EVER WASTE your member or team whe you have no immediate clue on many bits of intel
HOW MANY BAD guys
How many Non Combatants

Nine people (of 43) died... in my event decades ago... I am haunted that my indecision and keen training to gain more and more Intel... I second guess all the time if or if not I should have just rushed in shooting every thing...then I wonder how many innocents I MIGHT have killed...

You can not win

I am sleeping OK because and ONLY because... I trust the training I paid attention to and practiced ......

Until one or more of these First responders cops out loud to being a cowered...I personally give then a pass.... just cuz..I WAS NOT THERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back