Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am NOT willing to chastise ANY of these responders.... and neither should any of my fellow forums members .... we were NOT there, we have no clue based on the campus size and multiple building where any of them were relative to the gun fire

Fine, don't. I will for you. I, like you, know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two. I will not make excuses for a cop who hides outside during a school shooting. You wanna wear the badge and carry the gun? Then use it when it comes to saving kids lives during a school shooting. I get it the odds may be bad, but were not asking someone to run in a burning building to save a cat. Were talking about saving kids. Kids lives could have literally been saved just by some suppression fire from behind cover. Sometimes the stakes are so high you literally can't hold back and come up with plan, think about policy, or hope someone else takes care of it. Sometimes the stakes are so high you just have to do it. If you can't do that turn that badge and gun in and go home.

Who was the incident commander? Lead officer, sergeant, watch commander?

I am not going to play the blame game here.
But, in the 1990s Los Angeles Rodney King trial incited riots, there was a well documented and reported "command failure". The police did nothing, systematically. I suspect the same thing may have happened here. Who was the incident commander? Who decided strategy and tactics? Yes, there were multiple agencies involved. In California, the fire departments (local, local mutual aid, federal, state), et al, have a unified command syructure.
I think we did not see that sort of thing in Parkland Law Enforcement. Maybe that is the learning point to be fixed. The "inactive" officers may have waited expecting, rightly or wrongly, for commanders orders. If for no other reason, to prevent friendly fire.
Of course, the actual solution to these problems is not the guns. It is the crazy people who get and use them. That is where the crime and failures originate.

Last edited:
I posted this earlier in a separate post to my comments which it was related, but immediately following post 55. Since it was in a separate post without any discussion it was a drive by and thus deleted and infraction issued. I apologize for the poor etiquette.
The following is a, in my opinion, well written article in which a veteran police officer and experienced psychologist specializing in police psychology are interviewed. The article makes some of the points I was grasping for much more clearly and eloquently than I could hope to manage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-school-mass-shooting/?utm_term=.2cb47b08ba29

Courage is going from a calm low stress safe zone and heading to a place where one will face immediate danger. Cowardice is ignoring the call. It would be interesting to know what all the other LEO in the area were up to. I wouldn't be surprised if some dragged their feet in getting to the scene. It wouldn't' be the first time an officer has done so.
The RSO had to make his decisions inside the high stress danger zone. He did move towards the danger. The three responding Sheriff officers probably relied on information and his lead in making their decision. They did move from well out of the danger zone into the danger zone.
The officers from the PD had the drive over, with relatively low adrenaline and psychological strain, to gather themselves, review their training, and decide on a course of action BEFORE they entered the situation and were overwhelmed with subconscious psychological effects. They likely had already decided on a course of action when they exited their vehicles. They probably talked it over with a dispatcher who was further removed in addition to each other over the radio.
I believe courage is knowingly walking into a situation calmly, such as the responding police officers did. The reaction when the situation goes to hell right around you is not related to courage or cowardice.
Those judging are trusting extremely limited information interpreted by news reporters who probably have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

I once watched tracers from an M2 running near cyclic scream by just over my head as I hunkered behind a small retaining wall. Concrete from the building behind me showering down on me and dirt from in front of the wall splashing over. I found myself thinking about the timing between rounds, which was surprisingly long. Wondering whether I could swing my arm between them without getting hit. Remembering/realizing there were almost certainly non-tracer rounds in between the tracers. Wondering if I could still swing my hand in between rounds. Wondering if anyone had ever tried it before. Thinking what a story that would be.
No idea how long I was engrossed in these thoughts. I really don't think I was aware of much of anything besides the tracers passing overhead during this period of time. The 'bad guys' could have retreated back to the wall as cover and I might not have even noticed unless they stepped on me. I couldn't fire on the M2 and I couldn't leave my position. I was physically doing what I should have been doing. I can't say it was anymore than coincidence and luck at that point in time. My mind was totally distracted.

Who was the incident commander? Who decided strategy and tactics?

In an ACTIVE shooter event, there is no “incident commander” in those first critical moments. For at least a decade, the first officer on scene goes to the sound of guns and engages the shooter anyway be can.

The statistics are irrefutable, at the first sign of armed resistance the shooter stops killing innocents. Not a single occurrence of fighting back against armed resistance. The shooter either gives up or takes his own life.

Everybody i know carries a “active shooter bag” on duty. Arrive on scene, throw on your plates (15-20seconds max) and get in there. Step over the wonded and go to the sound of gunfire.

As more guys show up, that response can be more coordinated. First on scene goes in. Its been that way across the board for a long time. Initially, right after Columbine, the training was to wait for 3-4 officers before going in. That changed as it became well known that the shooting always stopped at the first engagement of the shooter.

That Deputy has a rough road ahead of him. Being chastised NATIONALLY by everyone up to and including the President of the USA, his name being thrown around and called a coward. People saying he could have saved kids lives, but did nothing...hard to live with.

That being said, not everyone that pushes a patrol car around is a warrior. Lots of social workers in uniforms today. I saw that in my Dept. Some guys would damn near kill themselves getting to a shots fired call, others would try to do anything else but respond

A good deal of success in combat is really just a combination of ignorance, luck, and courage. If every Luftwaffe fighter pilot knew how many .50 BMG rounds were flying towards them on each run, they might not have tried so hard.

You always want a least one guy to back you up but sometimes you just can't wait. Police officers though, as popular as courage might be, are still paid by the govt, they have to do what they are told, and that matters. If they are told to "hang back, wait for SWAT" then they will generally do that. Most people do what the guy that pays them tells them to do.

Too bad the coach that was shot by the gunman didn't break federal law and bring his own gun. Just saying. Gun free zones work....but not the way you want them to.

*Edit.....officers that have the warrior mindset....how long do they make it on a police force? How long till they are pushed out or just leave due to "politics?"

Last edited:
In The Ten Ring said:
You always want a least one guy to back you up but sometimes you just can't wait. Police officers though, as popular as courage might be, are still paid by the govt, they have to do what they are told, and that matters. If they are told to "hang back, wait for SWAT" then they will generally do that. Most people do what the guy that pays them tells them to do.
But waiting for SWAT was a tactic that was discredited and discarded back in 1999, after Columbine. For a short time, the new approach was for the first two guys to go in together, and not long thereafter it was changed to the first guy goes in ... with a partner if there's a partner handy, but alone if there's nobody else there. The mantra is supposed to be "Go toward the sound of the gunfire."

Lots of people are saying lots of things about this, but still doesn’t change the fact that he at least had enough education, training and equipment to stop or kill the shooter. Neither one of those happened. We’ve given up our privacy and freedom to prevent these events.
We have many federal bureaus with budgets bigger than some countrys have, and it still happened. We’ve had countless attacks, yet no one is held accountable. But still, there was one guy who for sure could’ve at least had some impact on this event... and he did not.

Clearly we need more gun bans and we need to understand that only a person in a police uniform can protect us.

Even if police never get there in time or when they do they choose to stay outside. A civilized person waits for police. Period. I'm sure Gov. Rick Scott and Sheriff Israel would agree.

:p

officers that have the warrior mindset....how long do they make it on a police force? How long till they are pushed out or just leave due to "politics?"

I made it 5years, then went into Govt contracting overseas. A much less stressful job.

The responding officer couldn't be command, as he was directly involved - the first NOn involved officer should have taken command per NIMS and begun directing efforts, preferably inward. If none of the responding deputies took command, this is a huge failure in training as well. Take command, do something, and retain command until properly relieved. I have been Command in enough incident to know how it works.

The plot thickens.

http://www.newser.com/story/255837/florida-lawmakers-demand-suspension-of-incompetent-sheriff.html

Politico reports that the sheriff's office's active shooter protocol does not require a deputy to engage the shooter. A sheriff's office spokeswoman declined to explain why.
So the sheriff's office protocol doesn't require that deputies engage an active shooter -- yet the sheriff suspended Peterson for not engaging the shooter.

[Arte Johnson]Verrry interesting.[/Arte Johnson]

https://www.politico.com/states/flo...f-shooting-response-but-not-suspension-275356

[Israel said]“This is an active shooter. We push to the entry, to the killer. We get in, and we take out the threat,” Israel said, explaining his office’s policies that Peterson violated.

However, contrary to Israel’s suggestion, the “active shooter” protocol from the Broward Sheriff’s Office doesn’t automatically require a deputy to go in. Instead, the protocol says the on-scene deputy or deputies “may” — instead of “shall” — engage the shooter. “A supervisor’s approval or on-site observation is not required for this decision,” the document says.

The statistics are irrefutable, at the first sign of armed resistance the shooter stops killing innocents. Not a single occurrence of fighting back against armed resistance. The shooter either gives up or takes his own life.

Did you make us these statistics? They are definitely refutable. I can't believe I have to repost this...

Columbine - Klebold and Harris didn't stop when confronted by armed response, exchanging shots with SRO.
Whitman @ UT didn't give up. He shot at police and civilians.
Nathan Desai 2016 mass shooting in Houston, fought with cops and was killed
Dionisio Garza III 2016 mass shooting in Houston fought with cops and LTC holder who was wounded through both legs, crippled.
Tyler Courthouse Square shooter didn't just commit suicide, killed exchanged fire with law enforcement and Mark Wilson (chl holder) who was killed
Sutherland Springs - fought back against good Sam.
Pulse Night Club - exchanged shots with security guard at entrance at the start of his mass shooting
1984 San Ysidro McDonald's shooting, killed by SWAT sniper
Syed Farook and Tashfeen Malik, California, exchanged fire with cops
Nadal Hasan, Fort Hood, exchanged fire with military police
Christopher Harper-Mercer, at Umpqua Community College battled cops before committing suicide
Aaron Alexis - Naval Yard shooter battled security and cops, hitting multiple, and even taking the gun from one of them
2016 Dallas Police shooting, fought with and killed officers, had to be killed by robot with a bomb
Here is one you probably didn't hear of, not because of some media conspiracy, but because it wasn't public. North Texas came Sept. 10, 2017 Spencer James Hight, 32, invaded a Dallas Cowboys watch party at the home of his estranged wife and opened fire, fatally shooting eight people and injuring another. He was killed by a responding officer.http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article176545291.html
Cedric Ford, Kansas lawnmower factory shooting, died in a battle with cops
Pedro Vargas, Hialeah, FL apartment building shooting, killed by cops
Michael Page, Sikh Temple shooting, died in battle with cops, actually ambushing one on his arrival, shooting him 15(?) times.
Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez made attacks on two military facilities, was killed in battle with cops
In 2012, Vic Stacy became a hero in the Peach House RV Park shooting by making long distance shots with his pistol and stopping a gunman who had killed three, their dogs, and was battling with a cop that had been ambushed - heralded as having stopped a mass shooting, Stacy was exchanged shots with the gunman.

So let's give up this preposterously naive notion that a mass shooter is going to just fold up and commit suicide or surrender at the first sign of armed response. This is a great way to end up injured, crippled, or killed by underestimating your opposition. Police and concealed carry people who have done battle with mass shooters have ended up injured and killed. Vanquish the thought from your mind that a mass shooter isn't going to fight back.

Double Naught,
I appreciate the time you put into that post and the information contained within it. It is of value, but I think it also over simplifies many different scenarios into the one being specifically discussed here, active shooters in schools.
The ISIS related attacks feature different motives. The actors believe themselves to be involved in a holy war and that fantasy scenario generally involves engaging police and military. As such, resistance does not usually interrupt the fantasy. Of course, responders, police or civilian, rarely have any idea which type of shooter they are responding to.
If you go along with the FBI definition of mass shooting, then lot of acts that aren't what people think of when they hear the phrase get thrown into the mix.
The shooters do almost always immediately return fire with police.
Sometimes police shoot them, sometimes they hunker down, rarely they continue to actively engage targets or engage in a protracted gun battle with police.
In your list you mention a number of incidences where the person commits suicide. I have not exhaustively reviewed the incidences you list today, but if my memory serves me well, in many of those cases the suicide was very quick after meeting armed response.
Sharkbite's wording may not have been 100% clear, but I believe the sentiment that the shooters generally stop attacking once engaged is true, especially in school shootings.

I haven't looked at any policies for a while and wouldn't testify to the fact, but I don't think any policies I have ever seen indicate an officer must engage a target or use any type of force. Policies provide guidance as to when it is acceptable to exercise the option. Mostly by indicating when it is not appropriate to escalate force. I bet the training indicated it was the correct response. That training may have simply been a few hours in a classroom or a few minutes in a meeting.

I would be most interested if any LEO could post their agencies written policy concerning a school shooter. I bet there are a lot of conditional adverb clauses involved in these policies.

I generally think most people have an unrealistic expectation of police drawn from watching too much TV and movies. Someone previously stated a lot of police are now social workers as if it was a problem. I think 99% of the time a 'social worker' is better equipped than a 'warrior' to handle modern police work in most municipalities. An SRO does have a lot of other responsibilities, most of which are probably better served by a social 'worker' than a 'warrior.'

Police and concealed carry people who have done battle with mass shooters have ended up injured and killed. Vanquish the thought from your mind that a mass shooter isn't going to fight back.
There is no situation in which you can engage an armed person and be assured of your safety. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Columbine is something of an anomaly in actuality. There were two shooters, which isn't exclusive to that case, but is abnormal. They also realized firearms were not the most effective tool and planned the use of bombs(and several did sort of work). Generally they were better prepared than others. The "waiting outside" is often exaggerated IMO. Officers engaged the suspects multiple times before the SWAT team made entry. The SWAT team was ordered to make entry pretty much as soon as they assembled and command was established. The first team in, and probably subsequent teams, weren't even all SWAT members. It was presumed the entry would be under fire since multiple officers in the parking lots had already exchanged fire with the shooters. It took about twenty additional minutes for SWAT to devise and execute a plan to cross the open parking lot using a fire engine as cover(with the driver exposed).
Here is a simple timeline of the Columbine Shooting that is much different than most people seem to remember it.

Last edited:
I'm not defending the deputy.I'm not a Veteran or a cop. I've never been in a gunfight.
We all get some cards dealt to us by life.
I've had my times when I stood up,and some I did not. The times I did not,I felt ashamed. I'm thinking that might be part of the path.
At some point it mattered to me that I like the guy I see when I look in the mirror. And I don't like being ashamed.
There was a day a former resident of the Nebraska Pen was in a JimBeam and psilocybin altered state when he fell through a glass door and cut himself up.That led to him pressing the muzzle of a loaded Mini-14 against my head.
A funny thing happened. Chief Dan George came into my head,from the movie "Little Big Man" His Death speech.

I said "Its a Good Day to Die....but before I do,I'm drinking one more of your beers" And I turned my back and walked to the refrigerator,popped a top,took a pull,then just looked him in the eyes. I'm still here.

But I sort of walked through a portal there. "Its a good day to die" is a good way to live sometimes.

I was a school custodian for 10 years. Some school shootings occurred during that time.I know I made note of where there was a hickory mop handle or chunkof pipe.
I know I was surrounded by kids from kindergarten through 5th grade.
I've done enough hunting I think I'd have a fair chance against a pre-occupied killer if I had a Chipmunk singleshot 22 and three rounds. Beats a mop handle.
I looked at it I might buy a few minutes or use up a few rounds..But I had no Chipmunk.

Any of us,or all of us,might have a picture in our minds about what we would do.
I like to think this Old Man would say "Its a good day to die". And,there is something to dying well.You never know,I might get the SOB.
Or not. What does it matter if I'm dead? Being alive knowning I hid while kids were being murdered might not be a good life to live.

But fact is,talk is cheap. We only find out who we are in the moment

Any of us might stand up.And any of us might not.That includes me.

But I still don't think I could have a gun on my hip and listen to shots inside a school and do nothing.

I'll never forget the story of Jeanne A.,New Life Church,Colorado Springs,2007. A killer with an AR inside a Mega Church. She headed to the sound of the shooter with her handgun. She said it was me,God,and him. She put him down.

FWIW,I liveabout 65 miles from Columbine and I was watching the news feed as it occurred. I don't even feel inlined to follow the link.I remember what I saw.
It might be there has been a little damage control done with the story.

While kids and teachers were dying,what was going on outside,I don't even want to talk about. Worse,it was another preventable tragedy.

Last edited:
I can’t say that I wouldn’t freeze. I would think that I’d go in without thinking. These events are sometimes very short in duration, so by the time you’re all done thinking, the event might be over. But, I can’t say for sure what I would have done in such a scenario.
Whatever happened, we will always know that someone was there that should have been able to stop the shooter. It’s going to be in a lot of people’s minds for a long time.

Too little, too late.

http://www.newser.com/story/255886/school-resource-officer-i-did-nothing-wrong-during-shooting.html

Peterson has finally spoken (through a lawyer). He says he did nothing wrong. (Which leaves unsaid that he also did nothing right.)

But Peterson says in his lawyer's statement that he "thought that the shots were coming from outside," [VERY questionable] and thus "took up a tactical position" to assess the situation. His lawyer says Peterson was the first member of the sheriff's office to report the gunfire [none of the kids in the school had a cell phone?], assisted school administrators with accessing security videos [instead of entering the building to help the kids -- and neglected to tell the Coral Springs cops who DID nmake entry that those security tapes had a 20-minute time lapse. VERY helpful], and was helpful to the SWAT team by giving them keys and drawing diagrams of the campus [all of which occurred LOOOOONG after the shooting had stopped and the Coral Springs officers were in the building], NBC News reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back