Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

Status
Not open for further replies.
@John
Different affinities I guess, I don't think I could pull that off with a rifle although I must admit I've never tried to fire one from the hip.

At least we agree the SRO does not get a pass.. but some made it seem suicidal just cause he had a handgun and not a rifle.

It is harder to get into the pharmacy at Walmart than it is to get into some schools. I think that is the first issue.
It’s going to be a while till we figure out how to keep mentally ill people from getting guns, because we have to try and figure out how to try to keep from infringing on peoples rights.

The mentally ill used to get locked up, but then they suffered great abuse in the asylums. Also many people were locked up who didn’t need to have their rights stripped.
Sane people don’t shoot school kids, but we don’t have any means of identifying a lot of the people that are going to do something bad in advance.
Sad that we even have to talk about this really.

I was not expecting so many automatic rifles and grenade launchers.
I'm not a big fan of the way police are being trained, armed, or dressed, but I would like to point out that grenade launchers are used for tear gas.

I can hit a small vertical target (say a 2" diameter pole) nearly every time with a rifle that doesn't have heavy recoil (223/5.56 or 7.62x39 etc.).
From the hip with the first shot or after walking it onto the target? I don't think I can't come close to that on the first shot. Probably not too far off after walking it onto the target. I have shot from the hip at those ranges, but not extensively.

And why do we assume he knew the shooter was armed with a rifle if he was outside and the shooter in one of several buildings?

Our violent headcases don't typically oblige by identifying themselves as IRA.

manta49 said:
They are not in schools, they are UK police hardly goons as the number of police involved shootings in the UK compared with America will show. You can not expect police to go into situations if they are not properly equipped for the job, going up agonist a shooter armed with a rifle, with a handgun is not a good idea.

Another illustration of the same stance on equipment could be italian police with a Beretta M12 slung while he undertakes ordinary traffic work.

American police did pretty well for a long time with revolvers. Some argue that to still be a sensible choice for 99.9% of police work, but that .1% can be a problem. The appearance we expect from police generally follows that history.

Police have moved on to wearing semi-auto pistols, but almost never 1911s. I've heard that some people would be alarmed by the cocked hammer. I'm not a PO, but I can tell you that when I see one, the fellow has a bunch of stuff on his belt, enough that it looks uncomfortable. He is also very often in and out of his car a lot, and that car has a bunch of junk stuffed in it too. In my suburb, I don't believe the PD has cars any longer. I always see big Ford SUVs (trucks).

For the work they do, I believe carrying a slung longarm would be a real pain.

Last edited:
My understanding is that in Europe not all police officers are armed. This creates a bit of a disconnect in how we see it because we see these very heavily armed officers with long guns and assume that is "the norm" when in reality a good share of duties that we would normally ascribe to armed officers in the US are carried out by unarmed officers in Europe

My understanding is that in Europe not all police officers are armed. This creates a bit of a disconnect in how we see it because we see these very heavily armed officers with long guns and assume that is "the norm" when in reality a good share of duties that we would normally ascribe to armed officers in the US are carried out by unarmed officers in Europe.

There may be regional variations too. I recall the issue coming up with London police in the 70s, many of whom were still without firearms. I recall the sight of one fellow who was armed; he had a small handgun shoved into his trouser pocket with a handkerchief covering the grip.

Given its history, Northern Ireland is not only going to feature different arms, but a very different approach to security overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back