AZ to Drop CCW Permit Requirement

From the Arizona Republic this morning.

"Gov. Jan Brewer has signed into law two bills supported by gun-rights activists.

One of the bills signed Monday would broaden the state's current restrictions on local governments' ability to regulate or tax guns and ammunition. One specific provision bars local governments from prohibiting a person with a concealed weapons permit from possessing a gun in a park.

The other bill declares that guns manufactured entirely in Arizona are exempt from federal oversight and are not subject to federal laws restricting the sale of firearms or requiring them to be registered.

Brewer says that bill "should send a clear and convincing message that politicians in Washington should not attempt to get between Arizonans and their constitutional rights."

Looks like the concealed carry bill passed yesterday(4/5) in House.
Vote Detail For HB2615 - Third Reading Referral 2
37/20

Looks like it may be on to the Gov to sign.

Brewer says that bill "should send a clear and convincing message that politicians in Washington should not attempt to get between Arizonans and their constitutional rights."

If only every Governor had her cojones...oh wait she doesn't actually have those...LOL :D

n7qvu, HB 2615 is "emergency communications; antennae; accommodation". The bill we are waiting for is SB 1108. But it's good to look at all the bills, as we also have one floating through to help Tucson Trap and Skeet club become the official Olympic Trap and Skeet team training area.

To answer the other question, generally AZ bills become law 90 days after adjournment, generally September.

Called/e-mailed reps again.

NavyLT said:
I looked on the NRA-ILA website and could find nothing indicating their efforts to support the bill, only reporting what was happening...

Yeah, I poked around too, and found quite a bit more support last time around, when the bill got all the way to Napolitano before being vetoed. This time, not so much, but the reporting was in no way negative. Maybe a full bashing isn't in order, but something...

128790470652513997.jpg

armoredman,

That is a great bill! I too wish it would pass. I don't think it as a snowball's chance in heck, though, unfortunately. What a great class that would be. I know if I was a student and took that class, it might take, oh, I don't know, maybe 8 or 10 tries on the gun range to pass ;). I think my expert pistol and rifle medals might give away my motives, though.

I think it could pass given the right circumstances - who would have thought that constitutional carry would ever come about five years ago? I think this country is slowly starting to move back to it's founding principles, finally. It's nice to see at least some progress!

Actually, NavyLT, the firearms education bill has a very good chance of passing. It passed the Senate 30-0 before being sent to the House. Today's is the final vote, passed all others including the Committee of the Whole, which is sort of a test vote by the chamber before they commit themselves. I predict it will be on Governor Brewers desk by tonight.:cool:
I hope it will become mandatory in schools sometime in the next 4-5 years.:D

Still not seeing Constitutional Carry listed on the floor calender, e-mail sent to the Speaker of the House.:mad:

Last edited:
Well, I would be extremely happy to be wrong in this case! :D

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5697

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Senate Bill 1108/House Bill 2347 will be voted on tomorrow, April 8. Please continue contacting your State Representatives and urge them to support SB 1108 and HB 2347. Contact information can be found here.

Currently, under Arizona law it is generally legal to carry a firearm openly as long as you are 18 years of age and not prohibited from possessing a firearm. However, if the firearm becomes covered, say with a coat, or if you are a woman and prefer to carry your firearm in your purse, you need to possess a concealed carry permit. The intent of this legislation is to give people the greatest possible freedom to choose the best method of carry for them. SB 1108 would generally allow law-abiding persons to carry a firearm for self-defense without a permit.

Arizona’s constitution, Article 2, Section 26 clearly states that “The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired…” The intention of this language could not be clearer.

Last edited:
Geeterman, Please dont forget the details.... The bill regarding Guns and Ammo taxes and registration applies PNLY to firearms and ammo COMPLETELY manufactured in Arizona. YAYYY!!!!!!

Even if it passed...

I am still scheduled to meet with the owner of a local range to setup my ccw course in order for me to receive the education of the course if anything at all.

It sucks though because although i have been fighting to get in on a ccw course i am second guessing myself and i don't know why i doubt my self after finally being able to get in on a course.

Also, i want the ccw so i can instantly take the fire arm home rather than wait on a delay every time. The only time i wasn't delayed was when i bought the ruger p95 9mm from shooter's world.

So anyways those are my thoughts. I'll be praying for the az cc bill to pass, i wish i knew how to contact my reps though and let my voice be heard.

Back