Autoloader vs revolver..again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line, the semi holds more rounds. That's the only advantage the semi has over a revolver. The revolver does everything else as well or better than the semi.

Sorry Hornetguy for thinking that this is a tough crowd. On this point you are 100% correct. This is one of the most professional forums you can be on and the two weapons are not similar and will never be similar.

Well, Doc... I'm aware of the quality of the forum.... I've been on it a while, now...

I guess we have to agree to disagree on the term "similar"......

Perhaps I should have compared a Smith 586 and a 686 in order to be "similar" enough... but what's the point in that?

Two self defense type handguns, firing ballistically similar cartridges, from two different "delivery systems" was my goal.
Comparing size, weight, and number of shots available (won't call it firepower anymore:rolleyes:) seemed like a good comparison to me.

There are too many stories of gangs of thugs attacking folks, and multiple assailant break-ins to think that more than one attacker is not a likelihood.

Obviously an HK sub-gun would be better than a 38 special, but I am looking at what most normal folks will have at hand.

Here is a story about a man attacked by 4 thugs, some armed with screw drivers. He used a 5 shot airweight snub and shot he way out of trouble. I bet you have heard of him before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_Goetz

The story of Mr. Goetz aside I figure if I am attacked by more than two or three determined and semi-competent individuals I lack the skill and ability necessary to overcome the situation in an outcome favorable to me by the use of force. Would I try? Sure as a last resort desperate measures are required. But I have no visions of accomplishing the feat Mr. Goetz did.

This thread does make me chuckle, sorry.
''Professional thugs?'' Is there a school somewhere for this? Bobbing and weaving counting rounds? This is good stuff!!
Yes, I busted out laughing at that one! I have my popcorn and subscription to this thread.....................................;)

Bottom line, the semi holds more rounds. That's the only advantage the semi has over a revolver. The revolver does everything else as well or better than the semi.

I might just be me but I can conceal and even open carry my semi-autos better than I can my revolvers. The revolvers are both heavier and thicker which makes them less concealable. My full size 1911 is easier to conceal than my 38 Special 6 shot revolver with a 4" barrel.

Of course "professional thugs" have schools where they can learn their
desired trade.

Every city and county has prep schools while every state has places for advanced training. And the federal government provides schooling where
doctorates in criminal philosophy may be obtained.

come-on UncleEd, you're joshing right?:rolleyes: If not, I'll bet Washington even offers tuition assistance for those. Especially in Chicago:p

The story of Mr. Goetz aside I figure if I am attacked by more than two or three determined and semi-competent individuals I lack the skill and ability necessary to overcome the situation in an outcome favorable to me by the use of force. Would I try? Sure as a last resort desperate measures are required. But I have no visions of accomplishing the feat Mr. Goetz did.

Don't sell yourself short. You may do much better than you think. Goetz owned the gun illegaly. I doubt he got to do much if any live fire with it while in New York. I don't how much he shot while out of state. But what he did against 4 attackers was notable.

I doubt they ever thought they would run into an armed citizen so were taken by surprise. I do remember he was a hero to New Yorkers after that. Everyone was sick of muggers.

I prefer to live in areas where the "Thugs" are Unprofessional....and lazy and stupid...:p / ( and the zombie apololypse is just a tad overrated ...)....

Everyone should carry what they shoot best ...and whether its a semi-auto, double action revolver or even a single action revolver - is entirely up to them.:D I do carry a semi-auto most of the time -- full sized, all steel, in 9mm...so its 10 + 1 ...with an extra mag...so bring those unprofessional thugs and zombies, I'm Old - but I'm Ready ... !!

Osbornk,
I can conceal a K frame 4" gun a bit easier than a 1911 and it's lighter weight than the 1911. I don't know what you are doing wrong. :)

hornet guy said:
I REALLY like my mod 64 Smith, and was thinking about the whole auto vs revolver thing..

I have a Canik I REALLY like my mod 64 Smith, and was thinking about the whole auto vs revolver thing..

I have a Canik TP9 SA also, so I did a short comparison..
Fully loaded (17 rounds, 147 gr hp) the Canik actually weighs 3 oz less than my Mod 64 fully loaded with 125 gr loads.

The Smith at its widest point is 1.45 inches, and the Canik is 1.275 inches.

The Smith is a 4" barrel, and the Canik is 4.7"...

With the grips side by side, the Smith barrel is 2" longer than the Canik.

So, it seems that, apples to apples, the auto gives three times the firepower in a slightly more compact package. One more mag for the auto vs 5 speedloaders for the revolver.

This, of course doesn't take aesthetics into account..

I didn't even try to compare my PT 111 with 11 rounds in a mag and a 3.2" barrel..

It appears that for "firepower" the autos win, easily.. also, so I did a short comparison..
Fully loaded (17 rounds, 147 gr hp) the Canik actually weighs 3 oz less than my Mod 64 fully loaded with 125 gr loads.

The Smith at its widest point is 1.45 inches, and the Canik is 1.275 inches.

The Smith is a 4" barrel, and the Canik is 4.7"...

With the grips side by side, the Smith barrel is 2" longer than the Canik.

So, it seems that, apples to apples, the auto gives three times the firepower in a slightly more compact package. One more mag for the auto vs 5 speedloaders for the revolver.

This, of course doesn't take aesthetics into account..

I didn't even try to compare my PT 111 with 11 rounds in a mag and a 3.2" barrel..

It appears that for "firepower" the autos win, easily..

Sorry & beg to differ, but I'd take a nice 4" K-frame S&W like your Model 64 or my Model 15, ANY DAY over either a Canik TP9 SA or a PT 111. Those S&W K-frames will totally outshoot those other guns! I'll grant you that you can load more rounds into the semiautos, but you will need less rounds to hit your target with a S&W Model 15 or 64! My Model 14 with a 6" barrel improves my argument even more!

Sorry & beg to differ, but I'd take a nice 4" K-frame S&W like your Model 64 or my Model 15, ANY DAY over either a Canik TP9 SA or a PT 111. Those S&W K-frames will totally outshoot those other guns! I'll grant you that you can load more rounds into the semiautos, but you will need less rounds to hit your target with a S&W Model 15 or 64! My Model 14 with a 6" barrel improves my argument even more!

No problem... I'm not trying to sell either one. Like I said, I LOVE the model 64. I'm accurate with it, single or double action.
I'm almost as accurate with the TP9... the PT111 is not quite as pinpoint accurate, but it's WAY better than necessary for self defense. I shot a perfect score with it taking my CHL qualification.

I was merely trying to point out the difference in "firepower", or number of rounds available in the same weight/size package.

Revolver v. pistol? Still?

Which one do you shoot better, especially under heavy stress, and during dynamic physical movement and maybe if injured?

If you answer "Both", then pick whichever you like, for whatever reasons you feel are relevant.

Capacity and ease of loading are usually considered to be advantages of semiauto pistols.

As a firearms instructor I've seen my fair share of people who could shoot revolvers better than pistols, and vice versa. If someone asks me what I think they ought to carry, I usually suggest they give weight to whichever they can handle & shoot better under heavy stress ... and remind them that it's going to be them, not me, carrying their gun if/when the time ever comes that it's needed.

I'm not particular hung up on capacity, myself. Sure, I've carried hi-cap pistols on & off-duty over the years, and I still even own one that uses what my state (CA) defines as hi-cap mags (12rds), but I also usually carry 5-shot snub revolvers, and my usual retirement/LEOSA pistols have mags that hold 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10-rds.

I'm a pistol armorer for some different makes/models, and I've been trained as a S&W revolver armorer, and as an armorer, I'd much rather work on pistols than revolvers. :p

Bottom line? If I had to go back to active full-time duty in LE, I'd not mind at all being told I was going to have to carry a S&W revolver, even if it were chambered in only .38 S&W Spl (presuming the use of one or another good quality JHP or LHP +P). Even better if it were .357 Magnum, though. I really liked my .357's back in the revolver days, and tried to wear out several of them.

fastbolt: said:
Bottom line? If I had to go back to active full-time duty in LE, I'd not mind at all being told I was going to have to carry a S&W revolver, even if it were chambered in only .38 S&W Spl (presuming the use of one or another good quality JHP or LHP +P). Even better if it were .357 Magnum, though. I really liked my .357's back in the revolver days, and tried to wear out several of them.

Not totally realistic to let the PD's give up their current duty guns, probably a "G", to go back to a revolver. Just increase the training budget using whatever duty pistols and ammunition the PD is using now, that will always be the best return on investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back