Autoloader vs revolver..again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Field strip a revolver in 15 seconds? Ha!

If by what San Souci means, it takes about a quarter second, the time to press
the cylinder latch. Then it's in the same condition as taking a slide of a semi off and removing the barrel from the slide.

And let's not forget the oops factor when the slide spring of a semi decides to
take flight because of fumble fingers. :)

44 AMP,

You've postured yourself into an untenable corner and now you have to resort to the inane to defend the indefensible.

I can field strip my P-229 in less than 15 second for cleaning, and I need no tools to do it. Now, 44 AMP, does that make you feel better?

When you have to resort to the inane and other logical fallacies in effort to attempt to win an argument that cannot be won, you ought to change course.

Glenn.

I think that you might be confusing firing lines. I'm sure the firing lines you're using are much different than the firing lines I've used.

So if there is ridiculous involved, it'd be sitting in your lap.

Webley,

The first sentence in your last post proved my point. We didn't shoot crap or inferior ammo. We shot top-quality stuff. And it worked every time of which I'm aware. In fact, it worked so well that it fired 10k times w/o a single issue of any type in a 5904. The weapon was never cleaned. And this is a documented FACT.

UncleEd,

If you're having trouble with semiauto springs flying, you ought to stick to revolvers. For some, semiautos are too complicated to use.

Webley,

Make no mistake, we've had vastly different shooting experiences. You shoot for fun. I used to shoot for defensive tactics. I still have to shoot to retain my retirement credentials. I can't remember the last time I've seen a revolver on a professional firing line. Must be a couple decades. Those professions just lack the vast firearms knowledge that you possess. So if you want to retain your credibility, I'd suggest you acknowledge that you lack knowledge to determine the factual basis of that which I have posted. And I'll post if for you even though you, lacking professional firearms knowledge, attempt to weigh in a topic of which you know little: 100% of the the time, I'd take a good-quality semiauto over a revolver were my life to hang in the balance. But if you're good with a revolver, I wish you the best of luck because luck will most likely determine whether you survive. I'd much rather go with tactical training.

You've postured yourself into the very invalid belief that revolvers are more reliable than semiautos. I haven't attacked your beliefs. But I will now. You have very limited factual basis to determine which is superior. You're running on pure emotional attachment to a long ago belief that might've been true. In fact, you have to deny FACTS in order to defend the indefensible.

Why would you suppose that every single law enforcement agency in the world of which I'm aware issues good-quality semiautos? Do those cops lack your rarefied intelligence? Or is it more true that you've postured yourself so deeply into the revolver corner that you refuse to accept the FACT that semiautos are superior in every category for professional use?

Let me repeat this so as you'll understand it: I have nothing against revolvers. However, in a tactical situation where my life would hang in the balance, I'd take a good-quality semiauto every single time. You might not grasp this concept because you lack actual knowledge. My advice is that you enroll in an S&W tactical skills course: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_757977_-1_757972_757812_image That way, you'll have a basis of knowledge before you commence to punchin' keyboard keys.

BTW, let me cut you off at the pass right now because I'd have to deal with similar myopic posters: never cite an exception if effort to disprove a rule. That is logical fallacy. Always go with the rule. So I don't give a sh@t that you have a cousin who's married to a guy whose uncle knows a fella down in Louisiana who's sister is married to a guy who works as a constable and he carries a Peacemaker.

Here's what might be the determining factor in handgun selection. This determination is all the more sobering if we look at carnage in Chicago.

Bad guys rarely do bad things alone. They almost always do bad things in packs. Never expect to confront just one bad guy. If you are, you ought to be scanning the area for his buddy(ies).

If you think 6-shots in a revolver is the wise way to go were you confronted by four bangers who have assuredly murdered before you run across them and some of whom have had military training which would make them trained killers, best of luck. And be sure your first move is the right one because it'll determine whether you're corpse is autopsied in the morning. And that first move ought to be escaping because one good guy vs. one bad guy = bad odds for the good guy. Add three more and you had better hope your final affairs are in order.

Ain't no doubt in my mind that had Marquez been armed, the outcome would have been four black lives that wouldn't have mattered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x50LaR1vUiY

A kick to the head is considered deadly force. How would you have resolved this if you had been Marquez? Better yet, how many of you would have survived?

This guy suffered permanent brain damage after taking blows to his head: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...n-at-dodger-game-suffers-likely-brain-damage/ Had the off-duty fireman been armed, the outcome might have been different. The suspects were damned lucky that there wasn't an armed off-duty cop in the area.

One bully shouts everyone down, shows no respect for differing perspectives and employs put downs and sarcasm rather than persuasive writing skills. Then everyone rationally picks up their toys and goes home.

I can field strip my P-229 in less than 15 second for cleaning, and I need no tools to do it. Now, 44 AMP, does that make you feel better?

I always feel better when using the correct terms changes an unbelievable statement into a believable one.

However, I don't see where ease of fieldstripping is any kind of important point. One can field strip a single action revolver for cleaning in about 5 seconds or less. A 1911A1 takes a little longer. Some guns take considerably longer still.

The statement was made that semi autos are more reliable than revolvers. In your experience, that is true. In the experience of several others, it is not true.

I suggest we all review forum rules about personal attacks, antagonizing others, deliberately evading the language filter, etc.

Posted by SanSouci:
If you think 6-shots in a revolver is the wise way to go were you confronted by four bangers who have assuredly murdered before you run across them and some of whom have had military training which would make them trained killers, best of luck.
I do not think that a six shot capacity is the way to go, regardless of the possible criminal records of persons whom I may encounter.

I do not think that the ability to reload quickly would be a meaningful advantage.

I prefer the trigger pull of a semi-auto. Not all of them, but in general, most service semi-autos shoot better than most small DA revolvers. I also like a capacity of eight or more rounds.

But to believe that a semi-auto will not fail, either due to the way it is held or to something else, is to ignore what most of us have seen seen in competition, in training, and at the range. The likelihood may be low, but the consequence might be devastating.

The quickest recovery is to access a back-up firearm.

As a matter of fact, for revolver fans, and I know a number of people who carried revolvers on duty for years and who prefer them, two revolvers just might be the answer.

One revolver? There's the capacity issue.

One semi-auto? The issue is reliability.

We do not design aircraft, auto brakes , fuel cut-offs, trader towing attachments, or a lot of other things without system redundancy.

Trainers teach how to clear failures quickly. If one can do it under stress very quickly every time, great, but I would rather have a second firearm.

Originally posted by Sans Souci
The first sentence in your last post proved my point. We didn't shoot crap or inferior ammo. We shot top-quality stuff. And it worked every time of which I'm aware. In fact, it worked so well that it fired 10k times w/o a single issue of any type in a 5904. The weapon was never cleaned. And this is a documented FACT.

I never suggested that, with top-quality ammunition, a good semi-auto was not reliable. However, if you read the rest of my post, you'll see that, for those of use who don't have the luxury of department-issued ammunition, top-quality ammo may not always be available. Would you not agree that, if inferior ammo is all that is available, a gun that will run with it is preferable to a gun that won't? Also, let's please see the documentation of your 10k 5904. Since you claim that this is "a documented FACT" you surely won't have any trouble providing us with said documentation beyond your repeated insistence that it happened.

Make no mistake, we've had vastly different shooting experiences. You shoot for fun. I used to shoot for defensive tactics. I still have to shoot to retain my retirement credentials.

You have no idea how I shoot or why I shoot. While you have no problem bringing up your experience, credentials, and motivation for shooting, I have not mentioned mine so your assessment that I "shoot for fun" is purely an assumption on your part. Such a statement also implies, whether you intend it to or not, that I do not take shooting to defend my life and the lives of my family as seriously as you do. Such an implication is quite wrong as I've come to my conclusions about what guns best suit my defensive needs through years of research and firsthand experience and observation, none of which has been taken lightly. I am not so arrogant as to assume that you or anyone else hasn't taken the topic as seriously as I have and I would appreciate that same courtesy in return.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a revolver on a professional firing line. Must be a couple decades. Those professions just lack the vast firearms knowledge that you possess. So if you want to retain your credibility, I'd suggest you acknowledge that you lack knowledge to determine the factual basis of that which I have posted. And I'll post if for you even though you, lacking professional firearms knowledge, attempt to weigh in a topic of which you know little: 100% of the the time, I'd take a good-quality semiauto over a revolver were my life to hang in the balance.

I'm sorry to have to be so blunt about this, but between the two of us I don't believe that it is I who is suffering in the credibility department. Afterall, it is not I who has repeatedly made sweeping blanket statements and then been forced to modify and qualify those statements when they are demonstrated to be incorrect. If you wish to retain your credibility, I'd suggest that you take a less condescending tone with those of us who disagree with you, consider the facts more carefully before making sweeping generalizations, and omit frequent hyperbole about life hanging in the balance.

You've postured yourself into the very invalid belief that revolvers are more reliable than semiautos. I haven't attacked your beliefs. But I will now. You have very limited factual basis to determine which is superior. You're running on pure emotional attachment to a long ago belief that might've been true. In fact, you have to deny FACTS in order to defend the indefensible.

I'm beginning to suspect that one of us is certainly wedded to his beliefs, but I assure you it is not I. As far as factual basis to our arguments, I have explained with some detail the workings of both a revolver and semi-auto and, with the help of some of your own statements, I have demonstrated situations in which a revolver is clearly more likely to function properly. You, on the other hand, have resorted to vague assumptions about parts counts (which have been demonstrated to prove nothing), repeating the claim that revolvers will almost always fail catastrophically (which you have no evidence to back up), and purely anecdotal evidence of you own observations. As far as attempting to defend the indefensible, it is not I who make sweeping, and demonstratively incorrect, blanket statements.

Why would you suppose that every single law enforcement agency in the world of which I'm aware issues good-quality semiautos? Do those cops lack your rarefied intelligence? Or is it more true that you've postured yourself so deeply into the revolver corner that you refuse to accept the FACT that semiautos are superior in every category for professional use?

There are a myriad of reasons why a law enforcement agency might choose a particular firearm. For one thing, polymer-framed semi-autos are substantially less expensive that revolvers of comparable quality. While a few hundred dollars difference in price may not be a big deal to you or me, that adds up rather quickly when a department is purchasing hundreds, if not thousands, of handguns. Modern semi-autos also require less skill, training, and specialized tools for the department armorer as most parts are drop-in and require little more that a hammer, punch, and screwdriver set to install. A large department must also settle on a handgun with which they can easily, quickly, and inexpensively train a wide variety of officers with, so a department-issued handgun must be a "one size fits all" solution. None of these are issues that I, as a private individual, have to contend with.

The fact of the matter is that I am not a cop, never have been, and don't plan to be. Because I do not seek out evildoers to confront with my handgun, I do not have the same requirements as someone who does. As such, the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy that you posit rings rather hollow with me. Assuming that a semi-auto is the absolute best type of handgun because that's what the cops carry makes no more sense that assuming that a Ford Crown Victoria is the absolute best type of car because that's what the cops drive.

Let me repeat this so as you'll understand it: I have nothing against revolvers. However, in a tactical situation where my life would hang in the balance, I'd take a good-quality semiauto every single time. You might not grasp this concept because you lack actual knowledge. My advice is that you enroll in an S&W tactical skills course: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...2_757812_image That way, you'll have a basis of knowledge before you commence to punchin' keyboard keys.

I think I understand you quite adequately already. Allow me to make myself clearly understood: you do not know me nor do you know what I require of a defensive handgun. It would seem that what works best for me is quite different than what is optimal for you. I would suggest that you bear this in mind before you "commence to punchin' keyboard keys" in such a condescending manner.

BTW, let me cut you off at the pass right now because I'd have to deal with similar myopic posters: never cite an exception if effort to disprove a rule. That is logical fallacy. Always go with the rule. So I don't give a sh@t that you have a cousin who's married to a guy whose uncle knows a fella down in Louisiana who's sister is married to a guy who works as a constable and he carries a Peacemaker.

Would not these supposed semi-autos that never malfunction, of which you have no proof beyond your repeated assertion that you observed them, not fit neatly into this category?

I'm closing it because, the argument has reached ridiculous levels. Statements that are obviously not true and put forth with personal insults.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back