Are Hi-Point Firearms any good, there cheap prices scare me

you guys are replying to a long dead thread from 2004 , there's thousands of newer threads for you guys to whine about hi points in .

Grunge Bag, hey now..relax little buddy...Every so often a newbie with only one post comes in and brings a dead thread back to life..No need to take it so personal. Thanks for adding a comment though, very nice of you. Sweet feed back. If you want to complain to someone and it hurts your feelings that bad..find roustabout and unleash your mighty fury.

Who's taking it personal ? I don't even own a hi point . I just see a lot of negative whining in a thread that's been resurrected from 7 years ago . If you don't like hi points that's great , but why not do it in one of the thousands of hi point threads that are actually from this decade. And don't call me little buddy .

Just remember guys if you do buy one..please plan on keeping
it.

The re-sale value is $50 bucks...yes I know from experience :D

Never had any problems with them

Have a pistol 9mm w/ laser & 40 cal carbine in collection. Sure there heavy & not too stylish , but never had a misfire or jam as fast as you can pull trigger and pretty accurate too. Cheap fun. You can even use butt as a hammer!

Last edited:
I'd personally save $100 dollars and buy a Bersa, cheap and better reputation than the hi-point. I've shot a hi-point for 50 rounds and had no problems with it. The 9mm hi-point was a very unbalanced pistol which made it feel like it had more recoil than my .40 XDm. Cleaning seems to be a hassle as you need actual tools to clean the gun. Here is a 9 minute video on how to disassemble it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GsyXIWtfBM

That being said hi-point recommends that you do not disassemble your pistol, but rather send it back to them to be thoroughly cleaned. This isn't bad if you buy a boresnake or similar products, however I like to have a more intricate knowledge of my firearms and parts, so I disassemble and clean them often, this would drive me nuts if I owned a hi-point, but hey, that's just my preference.

Last edited:
I'll keep it going

Hi points are good weapons I've never had a problem with them. Are the ugly? I don't think so. Are they heavy ? I don't think so. Do they jam? Mine doesn't BUT I do know people who have them and they do BECAUSE In my opinion they have weak wrists . Do they fail to fire? Most time no I believe it's the ammo the powder cakes ( is that the word i'm looking for?) and they don't like russian ammmo. Shake your ammo around and no more mis-fires....and it takes +P ammo.
The MAIN REASON gun dealers do not like them is they can't over price the used/new weapon What can you sell a used $130. hi point pistol for?? They can't get the mark up they want/need.
I'll buy anyone's used Hi-point that's from this site and your from OHIO and not a dealer.

But they are a pain to disassemble you need a punch and if you find a part that's not up to spec the company will give you new free of charge.
Hi-point doesn't make the .40 or .45 cal pistol But their still made in ohio.

I would gladly trade my jenings 9mm for any hi point made.

anyone?

please?

guess it stays in the safe......

I owned a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I shot the tar out of that gun and it fired every time I pulled the trigger. It was also pretty accurate. The only reason I sold it was the lack of high capacity magazines. I have also shot a number of their handguns. They are ugly and large, but they also went bang every time I pulled the trigger, and the ones I fired were fairly accurate.

Hi point life time guarantee

Shooters:

I have a Hi-point 9mm that I shoot just for fun. I can shoot a four inch group at about ten yards not using a support. The guns have a life time guarantee. My would hang up once in a while so I called and got the instructions for sending it in. Sent it. It came back fast, well repaired, with an extra peep sight, an extra magazine and an extra gun lock. So buy one. If it doesn't shoot well, send it in.

If I was an LEO it would be a mistake, but for a fun gun it's just fine. However shop around. I've seen them go for as high as $225 when the MSRP is only $155. I paid $145 for mine and think it was a good buy.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

I have JHP 45.

The thing is: you need to buy ammo which packs a good powder load to cycle properly.

Which means more recoil and a harder to keep on target pistol.

You will not shoot Lellier or Magtech out of them. Got for Federal or PMC.

For the price, they are ok, once you know what ammo to feed it.

It is still better than no gun, but for $250/$300 you can get a Taurus and for $300/$400 a used Glock.

they are not pretty, they don't have the name recognition of more popular brands, they hide about as well as a cinder block for cc, nobody will mistake you for james bond but hi points do work well and hit their targets. even gun snobs would be happy to shoot one if it's the first one they could reach when they needed it.

Back