Are Hi-Point Firearms any good, there cheap prices scare me

A few years ago my oldest son was in a gun shop to have a firearm transferred to him that he had bought at Buds. When he saw a Hi Point 9C for $169 and bought it for first hand experience. I saw him put the first few magazines through it. Despite the crude trigger he had good enough accuracy at 10 yards. On the second mag he can one failure to feed, the extractor claw did not ride over the rim but since he has passed the 100 round mark, the gun works reliably with FMJ. His times at the falling plate machine are 50 % slower than with one of Glocks.
I am sure, that some people will point out "Yeah, FMJ but what about Hornady Critical Duty?". I think somebody who pays $150 for a gun will be reluctant to research ammo performance and invest $25 for 25 rounds and FWIW, same son has had plenty of patients coming into his ER and almost all were shot with FMJ.

Skans said:
Ricklin said:
Well put 4V50Gary.
It is easy to forget that many struggle to feed their kids and make the rent today, High Point fills a significant niche. Plus the gangbangers would likely get dissed by their homies for carrying a high point.
I think it's cool they have held the line on prices. Alloy has increased in price, however I'm sure given the tech employed they are always taking cost out of the equation wherever they can. Being the low price leader only means it is harder to stay the low price leader. Kudos to High Point, most of us here would use one for a duck decoy anchor, however they fill that very important niche, and they do it VERY well.

I believe Hi-Point makes a 10mm carbine that is cheap, ugly as sin, but I understand works quite well. A 10mm carbine is a fairly high-powered carbine.

Hickok45 even reviewed it on his youtube...

10mm Carbine last yearish.
https://youtu.be/yE4rZqVU6TU?si=juEa5rmYfmtle3Rm

9mm Carbine around 8 years ago.
https://youtu.be/Jt4Le2SR0dQ?si=xl9KTiB46EOPrimw

Note that the OP was in 2004

Note that post 105 was in 2011.
Note that post 106 was in 2024, and that poster currently has three posts.

The percentage of necro-posters who are newbs (on any forum) is astronomical.

I shot a 9mm Hi-Point at the range a number of years ago--dude in the next lane and I got to talking and comparing guns. I let him shoot one or two of mine and he offered me the High-Point. I shot it mostly out of courtesy--didn't want to be a gun snob.

For whatever reason (I didn't ask) it was missing the front sight, so I certainly cannot comment on it's accuracy.

Aside from that, it was large, ugly, heavy and clunky...and it shot reliably, at least for the five rounds I put through it.

Not something that was I interested in, but if you need to defend your life and you have $129 to spend, and buy it legally, good for you. Who am I to judge?

I'm glad companies make inexpensive guns just like I'm glad companies make $10,000 guns. It gives consumers options.

I have no interest in guns that are (in my opinion) designed poorly. The Hi-Point falls into that category, just not for me. Well designed guns can be had for cheap too if you're willing to wait and look around.

One of my first 9mm handguns was a hipoint and i can truly say i will never own another one of their handguns in my life.

however, their carbines really are not bad minus the trigger being pretty horrible. Another downfall is the single stack mags. I have 4 redball mags that work ok though and they give me 20rnd capacity so not the worse.

I eyed one for a long time at a local pawn shop. Although they were asking 200.00 for it, it sat on the shelf forever. I went in there one day and offered 80.00 for it and they didnt bat an eye.

I took it to the range that weekend and it ran perfect.

A few months later i dropped it in a hightower bullpup stock and it has been a blast out on the range.

prhDdtW.jpg

It runs 100% reliable. Eats every type of ammo i throw at it. I dont regret the purchase one bit. Not a bad little plinker at all for under 400.00 for gun/stock/scope/extra mags

Im probably repeating what someone has already posted.
Hi-Point has a wonderful customer service… lifetime warranty.. they work.
But.. they are other affordable options, Taurus G2C , G3C, G3 and the GX4’s can be found at great deals .. and they run well.
Several handgun manufactures from Turkey are putting out pistols at attractive prices.
PSA Daggers ..I own 3 .. all seem to be solid pistols.
And I’m sure they are others

Budget gun wise I'd look elsewhere. For me right now I'm tempted on the Tisas PX-9 gen 3's. Can get them optic ready for just over 300. Haven't seen any negative thing said about them as far as function, just that the grips feel a little cheap.

Back