Are Hi-Point Firearms any good, there cheap prices scare me

I wouldn't buy one of their handguns, For the same money as said above buy a Makarov or even a CZ52...but I have one of their 9mm carbines that I bought for $150 new when they came out and I've puts thousands upon thousands of rounds through it without one failure of any kind, I liked it so much I put a cheap 4x scope on it and can spend an afternoon with a few 100rd boxes of winchester white box from Wal-mart...cheap entertainment...

Hmmmm. Just saw the new .40....MKS has certainly improved on the one I have. It now has a 10 round magazine, locks open after last round is fired, is more ergonomic, push button mag release, and is lighter than the JS model I have. Still hard to disassemble. I bet they continue to improve on the old design. I'll bet the new ones don't jam at all. The new design is far better than the old one, it is tighter, sleeker, and has a better looking finish. The big improvements are the magazine and the last round lock open.

I have no use for them.

Cheap prices scare you? And well they might. I'd rather do without gun than have one which is totally unreliable. If money is the only consideration, you can obtain a Makarov or one of the SOG Stars for very little more money.

Reputable? I've never heard anyone I consider well informed about firearms with ANYTHING favorable to say about them.

Hi-Points are too awkward to use as a hammer or a club, and too light to be a good boat anchor.

Best regards,
Johnny

Not that anyone really gives a rip but I did go out today. I shot over 100 rounds through my JS .40. After some fine tuning to the magazines the thing did not jam once. The lighter slide, heaver springs, and magazine tuning did it. It did not jam once.

Also, talked to the techi's again. They said it was made from the Zinc alloy, but have hardened inserts in the wear areas. The newer models are improved quite a bit. Still made out of the same stuff but better design and functions. I won't buy another one, but I already have one so why would I?. I wouldn't be afraid of buying one though. They have the lifetime guarrantee and even return e-mail sometimes the very same day.

I have 2 Hi points a 380 and a 45 acp. I have a beretta 9mm My dad got me for xmas 2009 (it was new) a few high Standards 22. a few S&W 357. and so on.
The Hi points are heavy and bulky. the 45 I carry as a side arm when hunting.
I have shot 500 or 600 rounds in the 45. The 380 well over 1000 in it. Its the gun I got for my wife on the range. never had a issue or jam with my 2 hi points. My beretta 9mm has always been a a gun to jam every 30 or so rounds. Its been sent in to manufacture a few times to be fix. still the same. I guess just that gun. I think if you keep the hi point clean and oiled its a good gun for the money. My 45 Hi point I pickup for $160. The beretta 9mm was $450. My dad told me. The beretta is nice as it fits hand. The hi point is nice as the kick is not as bad as other 45 I shot. I think that's do to being heavy.
so I feel if its what you can afford then go for it. for me its a gun I carry hunting (never shot the hi point hunting) I do take it out for fun to the range.
every one has a gun they no like for what ever reason as for me I no Like Glock. thats Just me. I had two Glocks and both were ok guns I just do not like them. I sure that are great guns. My Favorite hand gun is high standard.
I feel its like Chevy and ford.

You get what you pay for.

Almost always a true saying.

Cheap gun suggestions!

Ruger P95 - Even NOT considering the $300 price tag (cheap!) these are popular
Smith & Wesson Sigma series - also about $300
Surplus CZ-82 - About $250-$300

All of these are excellent for the cash. Save a 'lil more.

Regarding Hi Point pistols:
I fired one. I don't think the slide is designed to lock back on the last round. Silly. It went bang every time. The gun is shaped poorly and is made of inadequate materials. It is fairly heavy and badly balanced. I would not buy one.

A coworker of mine has one that he was given. It is not functioning correctly and he doesn't really know how to fix it. It is kind of an ugly paper weight.

- Ivan.

i always hated hi points, just cuzz they look like hell, and are single stack and sooo big, and heavy, but then i was lent one to carry ar work till i got my millpro .45 back and i shot it alot during that time and it went bang all the time;

now you guys gotta see this. there is no glock, sig, hk, springfield , 1911, or anything that would take what this hipoint took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FoWpog5KU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg

and this is the 4th part, i only posted two of the 3 actual torture test vids, but you casn find them once you watch these.

this is the end of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTBG01eYn78&feature=relmfu

Gotta disagree!

I own the newer green 45 handgun, and it is awesome.
I fired one. I don't think the slide is designed to lock back on the last round.
Mine locks back EVERY time. I've put 1500 rounds through it, and only 2 jams- and those were from first time loaded new mags. If you own a Hi-point handgun, clean it every 300-400 rounds (like any handgun), and field-strip it every 1000-2000 rounds. It's kind of a pain in the butt to take apart, but it was the first gun I ever broke down for cleaning, so now most others are easy for me.

Will never own one again. Stupid thing would only shoot reloads. It never feed a single factory load. I thought that was odd. I gave it away to a guy who was just looking for tradeing material.

Frankenthread!

Unnnnnnnghghgghaaarrrrrrr!

It's ALIVE!

Q: Are Highpoints any good?

A: They beat both "Grovelling & Snivelling" and "Thinking Happy Thoughts In The Forlorn Hope You Will be Rescued By A Unicorn" in a self defense situation by a wide margin.

The pistols are absolute junk and ugly to boot. I bought a 9mm carbine for next to nothing and its actually fun to shoot. I wouldnt trust my life with a High Point though.

Back