Anti-gun Romney as VP?

Anti-gun Romney as VP?

That was the OP's subject. Even though Romney hasn't been named as the VP, and Obama's hatred of guns is well-known. I'm disappointed that no Obama supporters will join my pledge to turn in their handguns, assault weapons, semi-automatic firearms, and/or magazines. Instead, the topic (for some mysterious reason) seems to have shifted to Romney's religious beliefs.

I guess if you don't like Romney's religious beliefs, you can go with Obama. Obama has frequently told us all how important religion is to him. He even made his mentor, friend, and pastor Reverand Wright a member of his campaign staff. You know, Wright, the guy who preaches that the government created HIV to kill black people, and who screams that God should damn the United States? But if you're satisfied with that religious view, then Obama's certainly your man.

I'll admit that Obama is a far stronger advocate of the murder of unborn children. The latest Gallup poll has unborn children favoring McCain and Romney over Obama by an astounding 100%. The unborn also respond that they prefer not to be harvested like crops for their stem cells. Then again, perhaps the unborn simply don't realize that Obama represents change that the unborn can believe in.

Anyone know Obama's opinion on State laws concerning carrying concealed weapons? Because when you look at CCW from a common-sense, sensible-gun-safety point of view, law-abiding citizens shouldn't be able to CCW. After all, you don't need to CCW to hunt....

I find the argument that Romney's religious beliefs will somehow make him a bad Vice President or President to be without merit. Heck, he was governor of the very liberal state of Massachusetts, and there were never any allegations during his entire term that he ever did anything inappropriate due to his religious beliefs.

To argue that Romney's religious beliefs are more dangerous to the nation than Obama's is absurd, in my opinion. If one is to be concerned about a candidate due to religion, it should be Obama. And we have absolutely no proven track record of Obama ever having served in any executive position, as we do have with Romney.

Romney did his best to fight these exact types of charges during the campaign, and explain that was not how he would operate as President. Yet, this bias against him being some kind of fanatical religious zealot persists.

There is also a lot of anti-business bias against Romney with many folks, because he was such a successful businessman, and has made such a huge fortune for himself. He is worth over $200 Million, and has another $100 Million in a blind trust for his children. And he owns some really nice luxury homes, worth another $19 Million.

People think that because of his wealth and his strong business background, he will not represent the average American, and will instead serve only corporate interests. However, I don't think that is being fair to Romney either.

And McCain's record on gun control is far worse than Romney's. Romney never appeared in ads for a leading gun control group, as McCain has in the past.

Playboypenguin said:
I am not persecuting Romney. I feel he can be whatever religion he likes, but when he starts declaring that his religious beliefs take precedence and are what will shape his political decisions that is a step towards a church state that I am unwilling to take.

Once again the mantra of secular progressives, perhaps you don't understand what a "church state" was or is. Our morality is shaped by our religious beliefs just as those of the founding fathers who wrote the constitution. That's why there's so many references to God in early documents. To condemn Romney for the same convictions is disingenuous.

Once again the mantra of secular progressives, perhaps you don't understand what a "church state" was or is. Our morality is shaped by our religious beliefs just as those of the founding fathers who wrote the constitution. That's why there's so many references to God in early documents. To condemn Romney for the same convictions is disingenuous.
Your arguments that the founders believed in God so much is a weak one. Most of them expressed in their private writing to not truly believe in a supreme power. It was just something that was required of someone in positions of power to appease the masses. Which, to a certain degree, is still true to this day. In fact, I do believe you engaged in discussion in a thread on this board once before that showed just that. I guess it did not sink in for you.

That aside, there is a big difference between morality and religious intolerance. To take a stand of denying basic rights to certain groups and use the bible as your only defense is not acceptable. To refuse to fund promising medical research because it violates fundamentals of your personal religion is unacceptable. To deny the right of choice to woman and deny them control of their own body because it violates the opinions of your religion is unacceptable.

If you can't separate your religious convictions from job performance you do not belong in the white house.

Since you want to bring the founding fathers religious preferences and beliefs into this maybe you should remember these statements...
"In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty."
---Thomas Jefferson
"Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear."
---Thomas Jefferson
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose."
---Thomas Jefferson
I can provide you hundreds more if you like.

To echo PBP, the "Founding Fathers" were NOT "all of the Christian faith"; they were concerned first and foremost with individual liberty, and you can't have that with religion in charge; some representative quotes include:

Thomas Paine "I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all.",
John Adams "This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!", and "...the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.",
James Madison (the principal author of the Constitution); "Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise", and "During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity, in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution.",
Thomas Jefferson "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity." and "But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." and so on, and so on.
The only people that perpetuate this myth that the US was founded as a "Christian" nation are those that want to see a theocracy in charge, and they would be fine with that only as long as it was THEIR particular superstition or religion in charge; the "Founding Fathers" were smart enough to realize that religion has no intelligent place in politics.

Playboypenguin

If you can't separate your religious convictions from job performance you do not belong in the white house.

And if you can turn those convictions on and off at will, those "convictions" aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.

And if you can turn those convictions on and off at will, those convictions aren't worth a bucket of warm spit.
Religious doctrine has no place in politics. If you cannot understand that you have no place in it. A politician has to be able to do what is in the best interest of the people...not their religion. Christians do not hold the monopoly on moral conviction.

I will have a very hard time voting for McCain if he chooses Romney as his VP. I've dealt with Romney's idiocy before.

Tough call. Maybe I'll write in Charlton Heston for my vote.

Maybe I'll write in Charlton Heston for my vote.
Or...

Puf4Prez.jpg

Religion In Government?

It works for some and it doesn't for others. A believer is an optimist at heart and an atheist is a pessimist by nature. Our United States government seems to have turned very pessimistic of late.

Just what the Republican party needs to continue it's demise, one candidate who wants to ban private transfers (McCain)and one who wants to ban "assault weapons"(Romney). Way to go. (At least McCain is now hailed as an ultra conservative, super republican. What is this, Bizarro world?)

Playboy: I've always enjoyed the pictures of the many goodlooking handguns in your collection.

But if you vote for Obama in protest, you should be prepared when he makes void your state CCW permit. Obama intends to use a federal law or Executive Order. Gone. :mad:

But if you vote for Obama in protest, you should be prepared when he makes void your state CCW permit. Obama intends to use a federal law or Executive Order. Gone.

BINGO!

A vote for obama = a vote to see the 2nd amendment mean NOTHING regardless of what the supreme court said. He will make sure they don't move on it. And even go backwards.

But if you vote for Obama in protest, you should be prepared when he makes void your state CCW permit. Obama intends to use a federal law or Executive Order. Gone

Not gonna happen.

McCain banning almost all private transfers? Will happen.

Obama and McCain /?Romney support the new semi-auto ban...
A vote for them will be one step closer to turning in your firearms.
Probably ban Gun Forums too...call them hatefull.:(

Back