.327 Federal Club thread

I am a huge fan of the .32 S&W Long. However, when I see the .327 Federal being touted as the "ideal woods, walking around gun...", I envision someone who may be tempted to shoot at a target of opportunity (squirrel, rabbit partridge, etc.), in the woods without hearing protection (who actually carries hearing protection in the woods, after all?). Having never fired or having heard the report of a .327 Federal, I ask: How hard is it on the ears.

I like .32 S&W Long and have a few guns specifically chambered for it. When I was younger, I took one of these opportunity shots on the biggest millipede I've ever seen. I saw it from maybe 20ft in my peripheral vision and initially thought it was a small snake. Realizing what it was, I did a silly quick-draw shot from the hip. I surprised myself by cleanly blasting out his midsection, leaving the two end pieces wriggling around the scuff. I know this is far from a prized trophy kill but I still remember it as one of my favorite. :)

While this didn't exactly murder my hearing, it was still unpleasantly loud. I think most handgun calibers are, with some obviously being worse than others. They pretty much all damage hearing relative to that loudness and as far as we hear from the medical community, you never get back what you lose. This incident prompted me to throw a pair of plugs in my top jacket pocket. It's as easy as remembering to pack a fresh pair if I use them or need to wash the jacket. I know I won't have time to plug up in an emergency defense situation, but that's a widely accepted risk in any self-defense situation and there are plenty of discussions about it here on TFL. As per all plinking opportunities and many chance encounters with small game when I'm in a position to use what I kill, I can protect my hearing.

As per small game, I've never shot an animal with .327 Federal. I'd imagine it would be a bit much on the smaller critters. Even .32 S&W Long is a bit more than I like on squirrels but in this article in praise of the round, the author describes positive experience with it.

My conclusion: I removed that .357 686+ from my purchase list and stay clear of S&W guns. Arrogant or ignorant customer service does not pay off. I will support Ruger for keeping this great caliber alive.

Don't let urges to be passive-aggressive limit your choices of guns. S&W still offers some things that Ruger is not very good at, especially in 38 Specials.

So then, considering the noise level it produces, you for one would not consider it as an "ideal woods gun"?

Depends on what your definition of "woods gun" is.

I like really like my .327 SP101, and carry it more while camping/hunting/fishing/scouting than any other pistol I own.

It's small and easy to carry, yet packs the same punch as my .357 GP100.
It's got enough oomph to it for me to be comfortable using it on any predators (especially the two legged variety) that may want to say hi while I'm out in the hills, but much less noticeable packing it around than my Blackhawks or HiPower.

I don't start popping off rounds at most small game with it, unless it's a coyote, because it's loud, and if I'm planning on taking small game while I'm out, I'll take my .22 Hornet or .22 LR anyway.

For an easy to pack, just in case I need it gun, I really like it.

Depends on what your definition of "woods gun" is.

I like really like my .327 SP101, and carry it more while camping/hunting/fishing/scouting than any other pistol I own.

It's small and easy to carry, yet packs the same punch as my .357 GP100.
It's got enough oomph to it for me to be comfortable using it on any predators (especially the two legged variety) that may want to say hi while I'm out in the hills, but much less noticeable packing it around than my Blackhawks or HiPower.

I don't start popping off rounds at most small game with it, unless it's a coyote, because it's loud, and if I'm planning on taking small game while I'm out, I'll take my .22 Hornet or .22 LR anyway.

For an easy to pack, just in case I need it gun, I really like it.
Isn't a n SP101 in .357 just as small and easy to carry as an SP101 in .327 and have the power for predators also? I still do not understand how a .327 is somehow better for the things you describe than a .357. What is the advantage?

So then, considering the noise level it produces, you for one would not consider it as an "ideal woods gun"?
An "ideal" woods gun would be integrally suppressed, in my opinion. So, no, I do not.
But, if you base the argument on noise level and how willing I am to fire them without hearing protection, then even .22 LR gets thrown out the window. Even when carrying a .22 LR handgun for small game, I take as few shots as possible; sometimes even passing on opportunities, entirely. I already have hearing loss. I don't need to lose more.
To me, .357 Mag is even farther from "ideal", with it's ridiculous, offensive muzzle blast and pressure level (sound pressure, not chamber pressure).

Isn't a n SP101 in .357 just as small and easy to carry as an SP101 in .327 and have the power for predators also? I still do not understand how a .327 is somehow better for the things you describe than a .357. What is the advantage?
Until a couple of years ago (when the .327 SP101 was temporarily taken out of production), there was no .357 Mag version of the SP101 that compared with the .327 Federal version. The barrel lengths were all different.
You could go snubby. Or you could go 4+ inches. There really wasn't any middle ground.

So, you could find an SP101 that was just as easy to carry, but you were significantly handicapped by the short barrel. OR, you had a pistol that had a longer barrel and wasn't as nice to carry.

What's the advantage?
3" .357 Mag SP101 (110-125 gr bullet) vs 3" .327 Federal SP101 (100 gr bullet)... 300 fps, an extra round, and a smaller entry hole in the target (very important for Lion hunters, for example).

If you like .357 Mag, that's great. If you don't like .327 Federal, that's fine too.
Most of us, however, either don't like .357 Mag, or like .327 Federal for our own reasons.

Don't forget that most of us also thoroughly enjoy the smaller .32s, as well - .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R. But we also appreciate the ability to stuff cartridges in that are capable of using 45,000 psi to double the velocity of some of those loads, with the same or better bullets.

Trying to argue that .327 Federal is worthless and superfluous to the gun world, though, is a waste of time here (that seems to be where you're headed). Just take a look back at the previous TWELVE HUNDRED posts in this thread.

What you're working your way into here is roughly akin to walking into a Navy bar, just after a ship came in for shore-leave, and announcing that all sailors are fairies. (But we won't shank you, I promise. ;))

Aside from cylinder capacity, and maybe barrel length, there is no difference, as far a carry goes, between the two.

I didn't say the .327 was better. I said that I prefer it. Sure, my .357 will do what my .327 will, and the .357 does have an advantage with the ability to use heavier bullets. So will my .41 Mag and .45 Colt.

It doesn't have to have an advantage, or do everything better. I like the gun/caliber combo, and carry it often cause it works for me. If it doesn't work for you, that's fine. A lot of people don't see the point in my .22 Hornet or .358 Winchester either.

I love the .327 Federal magnum.

As said above by another, I prefer the cartridge,too.

The 32 calibers are versatile. .327 magnum, 32 H&R magnum, .32 S&W Long, and 32 S&W rounds can all be shot through the Ruger GP-100, SP-101, and the Taurus 327s that I have. From powerful to powder puff loads for fun shooting can be had, and one can match the ammo to the situation at hand. :)

If something or someone needs thumping the Speer Gold Dot 100gr.and 110gr. rounds get the job done.

www.buffalbore.com makes several .327 and .32 H&R magnum rounds that I use.

I still do not understand how a .327 is somehow better for the things you describe than a .357. What is the advantage?

I don't think 327 owners/adherents are here to defend the caliber. You can find that discussion ad nauseum elsewhere in the archives of this and other forums.

But let's review:

• More rounds than a 357 of the same size
  • More accurate shooter without as much recoil
  • Flat, long range trajectory
  • Can produce good bullet expansion without as much drama
  • Serves a wide rage of loads and cartridges

Most of all, I like it, am sticking to it, and can recommend it in good conscience without the gauntlet of the naysayers.

Trying to argue that .327 Federal is worthless and superfluous to the gun world, though, is a waste of time here (that seems to be where you're headed). Just take a look back at the previous TWELVE HUNDRED posts in this thread.

What you're working your way into here is roughly akin to walking into a Navy bar, just after a ship came in for shore-leave, and announcing that all sailors are fairies. (But we won't shank you, I promise. )
Was not my intention, I assure you. It just seemed to me that the statements I quoted were not logical and wanted clarification least I had missed something.

I think the I would like to monitor this thread.

For some time, I wanted something in. 32 H&R Magnum, but never got around to it.

Was pretty excited when I heard about. 327 Federal. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'm sure one of the reasons it did not take off was bad timing with respect to the economy.

I think the I would like to monitor this thread.

For some time, I wanted something in. 32 H&R Magnum, but never got around to it.

Was pretty excited when I heard about. 327 Federal. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'm sure one of the reasons it did not take off was bad timing with respect to the economy.

You should. There is a reason all us 32 guys love this caliber.
But it may take some time and since it is a super secret caliber. You need to learn the super secret hand shake.:D

Once the light bulb goes off. You kinda go... ohhhhh now I get it!!!

Esp once you figure out the love of the 32 has nothing at all to do with the 38 or 357 magnum.
They just cloud the view.

Last edited:
Esp once you figure out the love of the 32 has nothing at all to do with the 38 or 357 magnum.
They just cloud the view.

I love my guns in .38 and .357 but especially with the 5-shooters, I always find myself wishing it was a 6-shooter in one of the modern .32s. If only the LCR came in .32 H&R Magnum...

I have a 327 BH and also a 357BH they both have there place to me and like them both.I know one you can shoot just to different cart. in it and the other 5 but they both have there place.As for what some one stated about to carry also a 22lr in the woods with the 327 I say just carry some 32S&W with you and use them in your 327 and then you do not need 2 gun because you already have 5 guns in one.For me when 22lr get low for me and too high price.Since I reload and cast my own ammo I will just use 32 S&W in my 327 on the trap line.

I have a Blackhawk as well as a recently acquired GP100 in 327 magnum. Great revolvers but my only issue was getting good bullets to reload (read over 100 grains designed for 327 velocity). The best bullet to buy IMHO is the Cast Performance 113 gas check. However I recently got a Lyman mold that was designed for the 32-20, 311316 gas check. With the alloy I am using the bullets come out at 117 grains. I size the bullets @ 0.313, which just shines the driving bands a bit and it is shooting around 1.5" groups @ 25 yards with velocity at 1449 fps (546 ft/lbs) from the GP and 1514 (596 ft/lbs) from the Blackhawk. There is more there but I am happy with that. :D

I have a 327 BH and also a 357BH they both have there place to me and like them both.I know one you can shoot just to different cart. in it and the other 5 but they both have there place.As for what some one stated about to carry also a 22lr in the woods with the 327 I say just carry some 32S&W with you and use them in your 327 and then you do not need 2 gun because you already have 5 guns in one.For me when 22lr get low for me and too high price.Since I reload and cast my own ammo I will just use 32 S&W in my 327 on the trap line.

This is what gets me inclined to comment with whether we are talking about the guns or the caliber. To me, "327 Federal Magnum" is not about the capability to shoot 32 S&W, et al. One can do what they like with their guns, but I shoot only ammo that matches case size with the caliber stamped on the barrel. That said, I did buy sample boxes of the various 32 caliber options, but my (2) 327 Federal Magnums were bought to shoot 327 Federal Magnum.

I have joined the ranks

Well my fellow .327 advocates, I took the plunge and have joined you. After being curious about the .327 for years, I broke down and picked up a Ruger single seven. I'm really enjoying it and have decided its a keeper!

I think one of the best things about the .327 is that it's case capacity now allows handloaders more flexibility to create loads suitable for whatever type of shooting they want to do. And it can/will stimulate some interest in the older .32 caliber cartridges as well.

You can use all of the previously mentioned .32 cases of course, but you can also use .32 H&R and .32 Mag cases to load light, moderate or hot loads for a variety of purposes.

I'm sure someone will have (or has had) fun loading .32 ACP bullets into the .32 H&R case for a small varmint load. The fun part is finding the most accurate fast load.

I think one of the best things about the .327 is that it's case capacity now allows handloaders more flexibility to create loads suitable for whatever type of shooting they want to do.
I want to hunt deer and pigs with my .327 Federal. I am a hand loader also. What loads for the .327 do you recommend for hunting deer and pigs?

Back