.327 Federal Club thread

No sir, I'm trying to express that you would not be served well by using the round to hunt boar. The heavy gristle layers of the beast would prevent adequate penetration.

Scott

Yea your missing some thing.
Hunting and SD are two different animals. If I have a Ruger Red Hawk in 44 mag. I may choose that to hunt with, but sure wont be my CC weapon.

Today I just loaded up some SD ammo for my 327. 100 gr XTP's ahead of 13.6gr of Lil Gun w/ Small Rifle Primers.
I ran them across the Chronograph.
1426fps from my Single 7 and 1350 fps from my 2.5 inch Taurus.

1350 fps from a 100gr HP is more than serviceable for CC duties. Plus plus It is in a package with manageable recoil.

Last edited:
I would say the differences are rooted in the requirements for deer vs. defence encounters, which don't strictly equate to a pound to pound comparison.

"Humane" deer regulations basically boil down to reducing suffering to a short time frame following an average hunting shot, probably a double-lung penetration at extended range.

The Human defence ideal is the immediate stop, which only comes from a CNS hit, structural damage (major bones), or a psychological stop, usually at short range.

IMHO, people accept a wider variety of cartridge/gun combinations for the latter than we do for the former.

Yea its pretty amazing once you think about it. There is a huge difference between the 32 mag and the 327Mag.
Its what this caliber has needed for a long time.
32L were in the 7-800 range then they came out with the 32 mag in the 9-1000 range. The 327 blows the doors off of them.
Takes the 32 to a whole other level of performance.

Thing is my Ruger would take more. That LilGun load is mid range.
Might be at the top for a Taurus though. Dont want to push it too hard.

IMHO, people accept a wider variety of cartridge/gun combinations for the latter than we do for the former.
Probably has a lot to do with the understanding that carrying a gun all your life with a high probability of never having to fire it is hugely different from taking a gun on a relatively short outing where firing it is the main purpose and quite likely to occur.

Hello friends!

I'm researching the .327 Fed Mag in anticipation for the newly released SP101 .327 with 4.2" bbl, which I plan to make my EDC and possible home defense handgun.

Does anyone have any data on the defensive hollow point .327 magnum loads from a 4" or so barrel length? Any ballistics gelatin tests on the Speer Gold Dot or Federal defensive hollow points?

Model12Win, I wish there was more data available. I just spent a few minutes searching, and this was the best I could find. While he mentions the SP101 and gives 3.1" as a barrel length in his gel data, his caliber comparison graph lists data for a 2" barrel. Looking at the Ballistics by the Inch page, you can see that the extra inch between 3" and 4" is significant and only less dramatic than the jump from 2" to 3".

..high probability of never having to fire it..

I agree. "Frequent" and "infrequent" should be added to my qualifiers, which also affects carry size of guns people are willing to tote for each task.

It's just another example of why deer and defense gun comparisons are not served by comparing weights of the living organisms.

not too far off topic... looking for a better way to carry back up ammo... I have a couple speed loaders for my lil J frame in 32 H&R, but they are pretty bulky... I looked at strips, for the 32's... & only found Tuff Products quick strips ( which don't get very good reviews )... then was thinking about the ammo wallets ( which the new ones aren't getting g the best reviews either ) & I didn't see one in 32 caliber...

those of you that are carrying these... do you carry back up ammo, & how are you carrying that ???

I've used the Tuff strips and they're fine. They don't seem to hold up for years and years, but they're not too expensive. Have not used them for .32 cal though.

For speed, the HKS type loaders are about the best. After that, a strip loader (Tuff is your choice as Bianchi only makes .38/.357), then belt loops (see attached). The MTM ammo wallet is below loose rounds in my pocket only because they are awkward to use.

Attachments

does anyone have experience with the Charter Arms Patriot in .327? I would have to attempt to find one, but just wondering if they are decent guns or not. they seem to be in my price range, but not sure what the actual street value is since they seem difficult to find.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...ps-fixed-sights-stainless-finish-p-21435.html

there are a couple for sale in the 400$ range on armslist....worth it? I know it's not a ruger or a smith, just wondering if they hold up and shoot straight
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4105178/maine-handguns-for-sale--charter-arms-patriot-

Last edited:
Sooo.. I just got my .327 GP100 a couple month ago and love it. Should I get the new SP101? Both have the same barrel length. Would be nice to hear from somebody who owns both the GP100 and SP101 in .327.

does anyone have experience with the Charter Arms Patriot in .327? I would have to attempt to find one, but just wondering if they are decent guns or not. they seem to be in my price range, but not sure what the actual street value is since they seem difficult to find.

When the 327 1st came out Charter was the only ones to offer an option that one could say was the ultimate 327 kit.
Just about every one including Charter was offering the 327 in a 2- 3 inch barrel options.
Charter also offered the target Bull Dog with adjustable sights and a 4 inch barrel.
I wanted one real real bad. but I figured I would wait and get the 2inch version taken care of 1st.
Bad move on my part. As soon as I got ready to order mine. They were gone.:mad:

Ruger had made the attempt to up the 327 mag by releasing the GP100 and the Black Hawk versions.
They are ok guns and I want one of each.
But it was not till the release of the single 7 and now the release of the new SP101 with adjustable sights and 4 inch barrel
We are now back to what Charter gave us 1st. I could have had one for $300 at one time.
arggggg Dumb Coz Dumb Coz... Should have got it then.

Oh well... I have my Single 7 and now I have the SP101 coming. It could be said I have over compensated for my early mistake.

In the 3inch or less range. $300 ish maybe a little more. I dont think any one is still making snubbies.

The Target Bull Dog. I would go maybe $400 ish. Any higher and you might as well get the SP101. But two months ago I would have paid $500 easy.

Last edited:
I joined the club today with a 5 1/2" .327 Single Seven. I got this due to the .22 Shortage and call this my reloadable .22! Joins my Baby Vaquero. Will be shooting mostly hand loaded .32 H&R Mag in it in the 1000-1100fps range. I see no need to push velocity up, as I have .357s to cover that area (if needed). I think this will do ...for the intended purpose!

rclark I joined the club today with a 5 1/2" .327 Single Seven. I got this due to the .22 Shortage and call this my reloadable .22! Joins my Baby Vaquero. Will be shooting mostly hand loaded .32 H&R Mag in it in the 1000-1100fps range. I see no need to push velocity up, as I have .357s to cover that area (if needed). I think this will do ...for the intended purpose!

If you don't appreciate the caliber, not expecting to shoot any, why buy the gun? Aren't there other good choices in 32 H&R Magnum? What was wrong with guns you already had for 32 H&R?

Personally, I expect the 327 to reach out in a flat trajectory, beyond what a 32 H&R can do, and without all the drama and possible flinch of the .357. The gun can hold more 32s than 357s.

My son bought a new Blackhawk in 327 . He has shot 75 or 80 rounds and so far not great . The cylinder pin has fell out and now the gun is locked up will not work at all . So this new Ruger is going home to be fixed .

I guess if you buy enough you will get a not so good one .

Back