.327 Federal Club thread

I just saw the email notification from Ruger. My jaw dropped and my eyes bugged out like in a classic cartoon. This is exactly what I've been calling for!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2aa3bcfe-810f-4478-a8b9-b03cdfe26377.jpg
    2aa3bcfe-810f-4478-a8b9-b03cdfe26377.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 185
I don't think those grips migrate well to this new gun. They started out as fitting a 38 Special snubby gun. If so many change theirs to some version of Hogue combats, Ruger can do that too.

dahermit:

If you're going to do any "heavy hitting" with the .327 Federal Magnum, your best bet will be to max out somewhere between a 120-135 grain hard cast lead bullet.

I personally think that you may be testing the "upper limits" of the cartridge. I truly believe that whitetail deer would/should be the maximum size quarry suitable for the round.

Scott

I don't think those grips migrate well to this new gun. They started out as fitting a 38 Special snubby gun. If so many change theirs to some version of Hogue combats, Ruger can do that too.

I think the stock grips here are rather attractive. I know a few people who prefer them over the Hogues, especially for concealed carry. I definitely prefer the Hogues for shooting. If I didn't already have an extra, I'd have no qualms about the twenty-dollar upgrade. The thing with customization is we don't all necessarily want the same thing.

That said, is anyone planning on going beyond the standard rubber Hogues (which apparently now come in purple)? How about a nice wood grip?

BTW, there are plenty of options for the stock grip too, whether classic variations like these or more intricate stuff like this.

I think the stock grips here are rather attractive. I know a few people who prefer them over the Hogues, especially for concealed carry.

No one knows what they like on this new gun. My point was that at this barrel length the scrawny grips look kind of goofy. In any case, they are not well suited for handling recoil at any significant level.

Well, here's a vote for Ruger "printing off" a few more of the three-inch models, which is what I missed the first time around and now want.

Or, maybe, this new one will help mitigate the insane prices people are asking for the threes and I can find me one.

I personally think that you may be testing the "upper limits" of the cartridge. I truly believe that whitetail deer would/should be the maximum size quarry suitable for the round.

I fully intend on hunting some SItka Blacktail this fall with mine, but these are typically small compact deer. I agree that whitetails might be on the large size.

I fully intend on hunting some SItka Blacktail this fall with mine, but these are typically small compact deer. I agree that whitetails might be on the large size.
While your application is more fitting for the cartridge....

I didn't feel terribly handicapped when I went on a "last ditch" trip to try to fill my Mule Deer tag last year. Since my odds were already low, and time limited, I decided that variety and fun factor trumped tradition (bolt action rifles).
Firearms: .327 Federal GP100. 5.56x45mm AR pistol. 20 ga bolt action shotgun.

I forgot (suitable) ammo for the AR, and only had 2 rounds for the shotgun.

If my wife hadn't decided to go into heart failure and call me at the worst possible time (yea... like heart failure can be "better"? ;)) ... I would have plugged a decent sized 4-point with the GP100 at about 25 yards - maybe less.
The deer crossed right in front of me as I was looking down to answer the phone. And I was even out of the truck and chasing the buck, before I realized what my wife was saying.

Forgive me if it came up a thousand posts ago but I'd be curious to hear what kind of game people have taken, especially with the 4" barrel.

Thats going to be a hard question to get answered. Mainly because of how the 327magnum was originally marketed.
Most of the 1st run 327's were chambered for short barreled revolvers.
2 or 3 inches.
The only 1st run 4 inch revolver I know of was the Charter Target Bull Dog that came with a 4 inch barrel.
That was a nice gun too. It was certainly on my to get list, but charter quit making them before I got the money saved.:(

Manufactures are just only now, ( with prodding) starting to see where the true market for the 327 is.

I am not sure what barrel lengths the Black hawk was made in. I suspect 5.5"
Guys that have them maybe can give you some details on game size.
Since the Single 7 we are now starting to see some work done hunting wise.
But with that gun the cylinder size is a limiting factor to creating the best hunting loads for larger game.

I suspect the top game size would be white tail deer. But I dont think any one of us are planning on trying it. Usually we have multiple choices and might choose a higher caliber.

So if my plans are any indication small to light med game for me.
As a matter of fact, that is what I use mine for. Head shots on Mr Rabbit are no problem. I stalk with 3 different loads in the gun. 32L, 32Mag and 327 mag.
I turn the cylinder to the appropriate load depending on range.
When I get out of Range for the 327. I shoulder my 32-20 rifle.
Fun package until I get my 327 carbine.

One of these days I will learn how to hunt Coyotes. We have them here, I hear them every night. But it is the rare hunter that actually gets one let alone see's one.

Last edited:
Forgive me if it came up a thousand posts ago but I'd be curious to hear what kind of game people have taken, especially with the 4" barrel.

Are we still trying to justify the caliber with questions like that? How could anyone answer, when no one yet owns this new barrel length? When was the caliber ever offered in a barrel length suitable for hunting, before the recent arrival of the longer barreled Ruger Single Sevens? Personally, I don't hunt with any of my guns, but I do know how and would, if in a survival mode.

"Hammer It" has a S&W 16-4 re-chambered to 327. He has some posts here with his 6" bbl 327 hunting exploits. But Ruger did produce the 4.2" GP100 and the 5.5" Blackhawk in 327.

But yeah don't see much about 327 hunting. I'm sure their out there but actual accounts are pretty thin these days.

Are we still trying to justify the caliber with questions like that? How could anyone answer, when no one yet owns this new barrel length? When was the caliber ever offered in a barrel length suitable for hunting, before the recent arrival of the longer barreled Ruger Single Sevens? Personally, I don't hunt with any of my guns, but I do know how and would, if in a survival mode.
Ehhh? :confused:

The Blackhawk was only offered with a 5.5" barrel. (First production run in ~2009.)
The GP100 was only offered with a 4.2" barrel. (First production run in ~2010.)

Neither of the 'longer' barrel lengths (5.5" on the Single Seven and 4.2" on the new SP101) is anything new.

In fact, I own both of the 'originals'. :D

Who is trying to "justify the caliber" here? I asked a legitimate question: whether and what anyone has hunted with this caliber, preferably with the 4" barrel. If you bothered to look, you'd see that FrankenMauser discussed hunting plans with his 4" GP100 a few posts up, which were sadly cut short by circumstances beyond his control. That gun has been out for a while. I don't know how many thousands of people have one, or how many of those are active on this forum. As others pointed out, there was also a longer-barreled Blackhawk that people might have. If anyone has a constructive answer, I'd be happy to read it.

If you're going to do any "heavy hitting" with the .327 Federal Magnum, your best bet will be to max out somewhere between a 120-135 grain hard cast lead bullet.

Then is if fair to say that the .327 Federal Magnum is not quite up to the task of defensive carry also? It seems that if the cartridge is marginal for deer, it would also be marginal for human targets...or am I missing something?

Back