.327 Federal Club thread

Real Gun

You are parsing. Just make your point. It should be obvious to the reader that "we" is a generality, and that exceptions do not belie the case being made.
This is a problem with forum discussions at times. I read your "we" as the "Royal we", in that you meant neither you nor your immediate family/friends would buy one. Now you've re-asserted that you meant gun buyers "in general", a declarative that's demonstrably false if you read this thread.

That's like your proclamation that a six-shot J-Frame "is all that is needed." I'm not sure who appointed you the arbiter of everyone's "needs" but I'm glad there are others who see the benefit of a 7-shooter K-Frame as another viable option for buyers.

BillCA, that was basically my point. "We" aren't a monolithic community. We are individuals with different personalities, interests, and consumer behavior. The common thread here is interest in .327 Federal Magnum. A few of us have shared what we'd like to able to buy. Making demand known is market participation and we are providing a valuable resource for distributors and gun manufacturers. ;)

We are also having fun... or at least we are supposed to be. I'd prefer to not be grouped inaccurately and I certainly don't think anyone gains from a Negative Nellie. I hope the next few posts are positive and constructive.

For instance, maybe our new friend saf11 could tell us about that SP101 in .327 Federal. What made you buy it? Does it get carried? What do you like about it?

We are also having fun... or at least we are supposed to be. I'd prefer to not be grouped inaccurately and I certainly don't think anyone gains from a Negative Nellie. I hope the next few posts are positive and constructive.

For instance, maybe our new friend saf11 could tell us about that SP101 in .327 Federal. What made you buy it? Does it get carried? What do you like about it?

Amen Plus-1 here....;)

I really like my ( now discontinued ) S&W J frame in 6 shot 32 H&R magnum... I would think it would be pretty easy for S&W to put out the same gun, but with deeper chambers... & or a new alloy of steel for the cylinder, if needed...:)

Hello Magnum Wheel Man
I agree if S&W can make a J-Framed revolver chambered in .357 Magnum they can surely make a J-Frame chambered in The federal .327 Magnum chambering...The problem is they are in Business to sell gun's and for some reason the Federal .327 magnum cartridge does not seem attractive to them...:rolleyes: Hammer It

I think its not necessarily a manufacturer caused issue.
I think most of the problems are related to the middle men.
There maybe a gun that people like allot but non can be found.
Since the middle men buy and push a certain model and caliber that they make the highest margin on.

It does not matter if Smith and Wesson wants or will make any thing.
Its, Will their Distributors order them.
They have their tried and true formula that has made them rich. And that does not include giving us what we want. Unless they have too.

It does not matter if Smith and Wesson wants or will make any thing.
Its, Will their Distributors order them.
They have their tried and true formula that has made them rich. And that does not include giving us what we want. Unless they have too.
Exactly.

Sportsman's Warehouse is a perfect example.
They're more than willing to stock and sell .327 Federal revolvers whenever they are available.
They absolutely refuse, however, to stock and sell the ammunition. Why? Because they don't think the stock turnover rate would be high enough.

We want it. We need it. We can't find it, because manufacturers don't sell to consumers. Rather, they sell to distributors, wholesalers, and big-box chains or extremely large-volume shops large enough to warrant treating them as their own distributor. (Some examples of that are: Bud's, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop, Dick's, and Walmart.)

---

I'm sure I've mentioned it in this thread before, but...
Most shops in the Salt Lake City area didn't want to deal with .327 Federal, because they were afraid the handguns and ammunition wouldn't sell. As such, very few shops had any of the revolvers and even fewer had any ammunition.

But, there were two shops that were known to have the firearms: Sportsman's Warehouse and Impact Guns. They sold like crazy. In about 2010, the salesmen at those stores told me that they averaged selling at least one .327 Federal revolver, per day, as long as they had them in stock.

And, the only shop that stocked enough .327 ammo to be on the map, Impact Guns, ordered large quantities of everything Federal was producing. They made more money off of .327 Federal ammo being shot up in range rental revolvers (and some subsequent sales) than they did with .357 Mag ...and the .327 ammo was $5-8 cheaper, per box.

...But they never would have been able to sell it, if they hadn't ordered it to begin with.

I really like my ( now discontinued ) S&W J frame in 6 shot 32 H&R magnum... I would think it would be pretty easy for S&W to put out the same gun, but with deeper chambers... & or a new alloy of steel for the cylinder, if needed...

The extraordinary pressure levels of the 327 Federal Magnum might rule out a J-Magnum platform, at least to a comfort level for S&W. The Ruger SP101 is essentially the same size, at least the same holster fit in most cases I have tried, but seems like a stouter build, certainly proven as a 327 Federal Magnum, one of which I own. The 357 Magnum has been done in J-Magnum frame, again which I own in my Model 60 Pro, but not at the same pressure levels as 327 Federal Magnum.

I figure the steel frames can handle it, ( my 32 H&R is an aluminum frame gun ) but it may take one of the new steel alloys for the cylinder, to contain 6 of those little bombs over the H&R loads :)

My Taurus M327 is basically a J frame clone. So yes they can do it on the J frame.

Taurusloads.jpg

I really like my ( now discontinued ) S&W J frame in 6 shot 32 H&R magnum...

Those are really cool guns. People knock the .32 H&R Magnum but it beats out standard .38 special without the kick of .38 +p and you get an extra shot. It's well-suited to a light alloy frame. (I still dream about an LCR in .32 H&R Magnum.) Still...

The extraordinary pressure levels of the 327 Federal Magnum might rule out a J-Magnum platform, at least to a comfort level for S&W.

I'm pretty sure the ported Model 632 is a J-Frame but it is also on a stainless steel frame. I think the Taurus offerings were steel too. So could it be done? Maybe. Should it be done? Perhaps an engineer could weigh in on that one.

170329_01_md.jpg

I don't see any problem making a steel J-magnum frame into a .327 Mag.
There's about a 4000 psi difference between .357 and .327 so that should not be a significant factor. Especially since designs are tested with proof loads that can go well beyond specs.

Rugers are very good cast frames but they are beefier in places to add strength to the inherently weaker casting when compared to forged steel.

Aluminum alloy frame are a whole different story. Asking them to stand up to a 40k psi pounding may be pushing the limits for the alloy guns.

Just for the sake of info, current SAAMI max for .357 Mag is 35k psi and .327 Federal is at 45k psi max.

Only the .454 Casull, .460 & .500 S&W Magnum cartridges are rated higher in handgun rounds.

There's about a 4000 psi difference between .357 and .327 so that should not be a significant factor. Especially since designs are tested with proof loads that can go well beyond specs.

If you state that in percentage terms, it will likely be inferred as less trivial. Also, I recall the number for 327 Federal Magnum as 45k, not 40k.

No, but I've been thinking about it as a "woods gun". I have gone over to the dark side on defensive pistols, but to me a woods gun is always a revolver. I have most of the 32's (no 32 Long Colt) and favor them over a 22. I have seen some numbers out of a 5 1/2" Single 7 that are impressive. Right now on GB, there is 1 327 GP -100, no SP -101, but a bunch of Single 7's. A handy, reasonably priced, proven revolver might put some focus on this neat little round.

Back